FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1542983-dynamic-currency-conversion-dcc-2014-2016-a.html)

zyxlsy Apr 17, 2014 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by jbcarioca (Post 22719089)
The date the FX rate applies is the "settlement date", which is the date on which the merchants processor is paid by the issuing bank processor. Many people, including here, offer precise dates on which that takes place, but in fact there is no precise date because time lags can happen between merchant, merchant processor, network transmission, issuing bank processor (if applicable) and issuing bank. Usually all that happens very quickly, often in a single day or two, but not always and not consistently. Time zones, cutoff times, holidays and other factors intervene to reduce consistency.

Even so, as you observe, credit card FX rates, assuming no DCC and no FTF, are virtually always far better than a consumer can get elsewhere. Ditto for debit cards. Between Visa, MC, Discover and American Express different procedures apply. Discover does almost all theirs through a large bank, Royal Bank of Canada, IIRC, while American Express does their own in many countries and use local partners in a few of them. Visa and MC have long standing procedures that generally are quite consumer-favorable. Still everyone makes money in this process. There are exceptions: for example, Argentina has horrible rates because the central Bank sets an artificially low rate for all official transactions, thus almost all regular travellers use cash that they buy through an unofficial market. Those exceptions are not common these days.

Your settlement theory makes perfect sense. Thanks!

percysmith Apr 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by zyxlsy (Post 22722602)

Besides Visas, MCs and Amex cards, we have Unionpay cards from HK banks.

China Unionpay publishes the applicable exchange rate, daily, on http://en.unionpay.com/front_ExchangeRate.html (or at least they used to until this month - the engine's broken).

For non-HKD/RMB transactions we get to run via Unionpay, we get the exact exchange rate that unionpay.com webpage said we would, for the posting date.

zyxlsy Apr 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46 (Post 22721890)
I'm just glad my Lloyds Amex has no foreign transaction fees because DCC is starting to become a pain in the US, especially at restaurants where one or two even apply DCC after adding the tip.

This is mad... I just realized in US if you are using a non-US CC, you have to watch them the second time because these is tip...

I started tipping in cash recently, so I won't have to check my activities to make sure correct tipping is added, and the servers can get their tipping more quickly. The downside is that I don't like carrying cash...

jbcarioca Apr 18, 2014 6:22 am

Originally Posted by zyxlsy (Post 22722602)

FWIW those are summaries of actual procedures, without all the steps.

I stated writing a history of all this, but then realised it would be massive overkill in this thread. If anybody cares I have lots of background on this since I began in the industry with the setup of what became Visa, which happened when the network went global in the very early 1970's.

zyxlsy Apr 18, 2014 7:46 am

Just did a check. Used my Discover card today in Beijing. The rate is a little over 6.20, meaning one USD can be used to substitute 6.20 CNY.

Visa rate is a little over 6.22, MC rate is a little under 6.22. There you have it. Discover doesn't have FTF and DCC, but the rate is less favorable.

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 22722639)
Besides Visas, MCs and Amex cards, we have Unionpay cards from HK banks.

China Unionpay publishes the applicable exchange rate, daily, on http://en.unionpay.com/front_ExchangeRate.html (or at least they used to until this month - the engine's broken).

For non-HKD/RMB transactions we get to run via Unionpay, we get the exact exchange rate that unionpay.com webpage said we would, for the posting date.

Didn't know there is a website. I usually just call 95516 using a Mainland phone. You have to have perfect Chinese listening comprehension skills to understand the Chinese spoken by a machine...

Originally Posted by jbcarioca (Post 22723792)
FWIW those are summaries of actual procedures, without all the steps.

I stated writing a history of all this, but then realised it would be massive overkill in this thread. If anybody cares I have lots of background on this since I began in the industry with the setup of what became Visa, which happened when the network went global in the very early 1970's.

You are a god to me ! (worshiping)

I can tell based on your status(es)... Well if you write one, it won't be a overkill for me.

The understanding of mine is that Visa rate is the best I can go for, unless I have a friend who needs to trade foreign currency with me, so it's a win-win but chances are slim.

Newark7 Apr 18, 2014 9:55 am

Originally Posted by othermike27 (Post 22721384)
By my calculation, you were scammed for about 4.8% = (70.42-67.19)/67.19, assuming your currency conversion from GBP 40 to $67.19 was correct for that day. That seems typical of the many reports here (and, by the way, higher than even the AMEX 2.7% FTF).

I don't recall if I was given a choice the one time I was DCCed at a hotel a few years ago, but I probably thought, "Oh, that's nice. They converted to dollars for me." Ignorance is bliss...

Yeah, I'm guessing their DCC rate is around 4.5 - 5% above the market rate & the tour company thought they could sneak it by since it was a phone transaction. Now that it's in dispute, they will soon realize they tried to scam someone who's in the know about DCC fraud :cool:

JEFFJAGUAR Apr 18, 2014 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Newark7 (Post 22724692)
Yeah, I'm guessing their DCC rate is around 4.5 - 5% above the market rate & the tour company thought they could sneak it by since it was a phone transaction. Now that it's in dispute, they will soon realize they tried to scam someone who's in the know about DCC fraud :cool:

Maybe or maybe not. The tour company probably deals with lots of tourists and many prefer to be charged in their own familiar currency and perhaps, although I'm not defending it mind you, they feel that is the best way to handle all these things and deal with the oddball who doesn't believe in it.

percysmith Apr 18, 2014 11:50 am

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR (Post 22720101)
I wonder how common a practice this is i.e. on phone or on line orders to perform a dcc transaction without asking. And I would wager that most customers don't know the difference or are even grateful that they are charged in their own currency. Do remember the people here on this board are somewhat more sophisticated and in tune with what is going on in the travel industry.

A bit similar to DCC on hotel bookings charged by hotels without card present.

I later found out it is possibly compliant to DCC under VIOR (see section under Priority Check-Out and Express Return) but consent is meant to be obtained, but it's even harder to police due to lack of merchant's slip (a cardholder cannot readily provide DCC opt-out evidence - even if the obligation is on the merchant to prove cardholder did, at least HK and Singapore banks and regulators don't enforce that in practice).

Card non-present charges are an even lucrative area to perpetrate DCC fraud.

moondog Apr 18, 2014 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR (Post 22725006)
Maybe or maybe not. The tour company probably deals with lots of tourists and many prefer to be charged in their own familiar currency and perhaps, although I'm not defending it mind you, they feel that is the best way to handle all these things and deal with the oddball who doesn't believe in it.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that the incremental revenue provided by dcc was and is the primary factor.

kebosabi Apr 18, 2014 1:28 pm

Throwing an idea from third base here:

Basically I think that the underlying thing that many are pissed about DCC because it's charged like a hidden tax, in percentage of the total value, a "cut" scheme that goes to benefit the merchants.

What if the DCC was a low fixed amount, like $0.10 per foreign transaction?

So at a rate of 100 JPY = $1:

a 600 JPY charge would come up as $6.10
a 6000 JPY charge would come up as $60.10
a 60000 JPY charge would be $600.10

Basically, the DCC would be fixed at $0.10 per transaction whether you buy something at $6, $60, or $600, rather than being a percentage of the total value, and ten cents is all that the merchant gets for each transaction rather than being a percentage "cut."

cbn42 Apr 18, 2014 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 22725778)
Throwing an idea from third base here:

Basically I think that the underlying thing that many are pissed about DCC because it's charged like a hidden tax, in percentage of the total value, a "cut" scheme that goes to benefit the merchants.

What if the DCC was a low fixed amount, like $0.10 per foreign transaction?

So at a rate of 100 JPY = $1:

a 600 JPY charge would come up as $6.10
a 6000 JPY charge would come up as $60.10
a 60000 JPY charge would be $600.10

Basically, the DCC would be fixed at $0.10 per transaction whether you buy something at $6, $60, or $600, rather than being a percentage of the total value, and ten cents is all that the merchant gets for each transaction rather than being a percentage "cut."

If it's a fixed amount, then what rate would they use? I doubt any merchant is going to find a bank that will convert foreign currency for them at a flat 10 cents without any percentage commission.

Remember that when a merchant uses DCC, their bank gets paid in a foreign currency. Visa or Mastercard does not do the conversion, which means that someone else has to do it.

AllieKat Apr 19, 2014 2:20 am

http://www.atmmarketplace.com/blog/1...gn=other_blogs

othermike27 Apr 19, 2014 5:13 am

Originally Posted by alexmt (Post 22727810)

The last paragraph of the referenced article: "With awareness and use of DCC on the rise, FIs should not ignore the competitive edge that DCC-capable cards can provide. It can allow an FI to better serve customers who travel internationally, and at the same time, increase revenue." :td:

The article also points to this Mercator Advisory Group posting:

Dynamic Currency Conversion: A Growing Global Opportunity
Posted: February 06, 2014
Author: Tristan Hugo-Webb
Abstract: As the obstacles to international travel and trade decline, the number of international travelers is likely to grow. As a result, around the world automated teller machines and point-of-sale terminals are likely to process larger volumes of transactions initiated by foreign payment cards. Dynamic currency conversion (DCC) solutions provide acquiring financial institutions, merchants, and consumers a method of meeting this growing opportunity.

Any time financial people talk about "growing opportunity," my BS meter pegs and my wallet starts to tingle.

So, keep your guard up out there!

jbcarioca Apr 19, 2014 7:07 am

Originally Posted by cbn42 (Post 22727483)
If it's a fixed amount, then what rate would they use? I doubt any merchant is going to find a bank that will convert foreign currency for them at a flat 10 cents without any percentage commission.

Remember that when a merchant uses DCC, their bank gets paid in a foreign currency. Visa or Mastercard does not do the conversion, which means that someone else has to do it.

This may not be stated quite clearly, so a clarification might be in order:

1. The merchants bank (acquirer) is paid their normal fees but the merchant, called "discount rate". Those fees are in the local currency of record for the merchant, normally the currency of the country in which the merchant is located. There are even arcane exceptions to that.
2. The issuers bank is always paid in the currency of record for the card that was issued, without exception.
3. All DCC does is replace the normal process for FX with one artificially established by the merchant in cooperation with their acquirer. Nothing else. The published rates for the associations do not apply in that case, but all other association and issuer fees do apply including foreign transaction fees, if any.
4. For US transactions, the largest acquirers are aggressively marketing DCC to encourage US merchant to ride the "gravy train". The prototypical US promotion to merchants might be this one, from FDR which is the largest US acquirer by far, partly with JV's with major US issuers:
https://www.firstdata.com/downloads/...version_ss.pdf

Newark7 Apr 19, 2014 7:08 am

Having been stung multiple times by DCC as well as Chase Bank's $5 overseas ATM fees & 3% foreign transaction fees, I did a little research trying to find a US bank with no ATM fees or currency conversion fees. So far the only one I could find is Schwab Bank, so I'm going to give them a try. They advertise zero fees & ATM fee rebates when charged by the ATM owner. This way I can just use cash in DCC heavy countries, such as Spain, while avoiding all bank fees.