FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   [EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1539492-expired-barclays-us-airways-cc-offers-expired.html)

Happy Feb 7, 2015 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by metoo (Post 24305899)
I was denied a card on September 16, 2014 and told to wait a bit to reapply. I applied on December 5th and was denied .Both reasons was to wait for a bit between application and already have the arrival card. Is there a time I should wait b4 applying again or am I out of luck?

4 months seem to be the minimum based on various info on the web. That is 4 months from your last app.

Another way people said is to check your Status - if no more app showing on the status site, you are safe. If there is still one, you would probably get deny again for too many recent applications.

Barclays algorithm is NUT CASE. But if they deny you on the too many apps reason, it is an instant denial no pull.

Slickw Feb 7, 2015 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk (Post 24302347)
Does anyone have an idea of when credit line reductions are "freed up" at Barclays after reducing limits voluntarily? If I reduced my CL 2 weeks ago or a month ago, when does it become available for instant approvals?

Originally Posted by Surface Interval (Post 24302520)
Not really sure, but one fact I have discovered is that my CL with Barclays is reported the day that the statement closes. I have an account with one of the reporting agencies (My Privacy Matters) that shows my account is still at $20k even though I had Barclays change it to less than $5k. I would expect that Barclays uses the likes of Transunion, Experian, or Equifax for their approvals. To be safe, I'm waiting until later this month after my statement closes to apply for a new card. Not getting rid of the old as it has the 10k mile annual bonus.

I was just approved today for my 4th card. Two are currently open and I reduced the credit lines on both of them a little under two weeks ago. I was denied once for the Arrival but that was likely due to not waiting long enough (~6 months) between new Barclay's applications.

Happy Feb 7, 2015 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob (Post 24308996)
Sounds like a plan! I was not aware of the 15k bonus miles offer if you leave it in your drawer.

I just hate getting close to the last minute and forgetting to cancel since being based out of IAH I would never fly U.S. Flying AA is only to use for its partners internationally like (BA)

Barclays will send you a letter informing you when the AF will be billed should you not cancel the card by X date. That letter usually freaks many people out.

The reality is, even the fee is billed, you have SIXTY days from the fee being billed to cancel IF a fee waiver retention not materialize, and still get the fee reversed. Of course you would need to pay the fee first by the due date if you still have the card, but still have almost a month after that to get a refund on the fee reversal should you cancel before the SIXTY DAYS deadline.

There is absolutely NO REASON to cancel a card soon after you paid the AF as part of the bonus earning requirement, as you should not get it back (the term is specific on earning the bonus if you forget about how it said - it is AFTER Payment of AF).

TennisNoob Feb 7, 2015 4:07 pm

Thanks my last question is, are we allowed to threaten to cancel, get the extra miles than cancel during the cancellable period to get a refund on your AF?

Happy Feb 7, 2015 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob (Post 24310062)
Thanks my last question is, are we allowed to threaten to cancel, get the extra miles than cancel during the cancellable period to get a refund on your AF?

You obviously are no longer a noob when it comes to the miles/points CC game.

Please spend some time reading the Consolidated Barclays cards retention thread right in this forum and see if you ever find anyone posted there is a miles retention offer that does not have string attached - i.e. doing MULTIPLE months spend to earn that miles.

And "threaten" would not get anything if your account does NOT have retention offesr attached. The retention offers must be already attached to your account for the rep to offer such to you. Threaten to cancel or not, does not make an iota difference. If the system does not show anything to offer to you, s/he would just say sorry about that, would you like me to close your account now? Or, some would not even ask, and just go ahead to close it.

hokiegl Feb 9, 2015 3:25 pm

Referral Bonus?

I look on my US Airways account, and I have the following line item:

US WORLD CARD BALANCE TRANSFER BONUS MLS - 10,000 miles.

Is this the referral bonus? I definitely did not do a balance transfer? Has anyone gotten their bonus? Did yours also come under this weird heading?

YoungBubbie Feb 9, 2015 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by hokiegl (Post 24320491)
I look on my US Airways account, and I have the following line item:

US WORLD CARD BALANCE TRANSFER BONUS MLS - 10,000 miles.

Is this the referral bonus? I definitely did not do a balance transfer? Has anyone gotten their bonus? Did yours also come under this weird heading?

I think that it is the referal bonus. I have 5,000 on my account and had 1 referal.

macrophage Feb 10, 2015 8:48 am

From my understanding, there is only 1 standard offer for the 50k miles after first purchase, right?

I called recon for my app to get through and was approved for 2.5k (measly...)

This isn't like US Bank where they bump you down a bonus level if you don't meet certain credit limits, is it? I only see one standard application on the Barclays and US Air site.

My email confirmation says the following was approved: US Airways Dividend Miles® World MasterCard®

umc Feb 10, 2015 10:01 am

Originally Posted by macrophage (Post 24324117)
From my understanding, there is only 1 standard offer for the 50k miles after first purchase, right?

I called recon for my app to get through and was approved for 2.5k (measly...)

This isn't like US Bank where they bump you down a bonus level if you don't meet certain credit limits, is it? I only see one standard application on the Barclays and US Air site.

My email confirmation says the following was approved: US Airways Dividend Miles® World MasterCard®

You are correct. My spouse and father were approved for the same credit limit 2.5k, and both received the 50k bonuses already.

macrophage Feb 10, 2015 10:46 am

Originally Posted by umc (Post 24324520)
You are correct. My spouse and father were approved for the same credit limit 2.5k, and both received the 50k bonuses already.

Thanks for this! I'll wait for my card now...

Glad I got into this deal before it disappeared forever!

I'll be slowly building my relationship with Barclays now. :)

diclemeg Feb 10, 2015 12:48 pm

....got approved for my 2nd opened card today, after first being in limbo... checked app status and its approved...

livestrongforever Feb 10, 2015 1:18 pm

I have 2 Barclay cards:

barclay card 1: 2 years old with 8k credit limit
Barclay card 2: 6 months old with 7.5 credit limit

Would I have more success getting a third one if I lowered the credit limit on the previous two? I did this with citi and was instantly approved.

Thanks!

kevinwangjk Feb 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Applied last Friday for my 2nd USAirways card. I got my first one over a year ago.

It was not approved immediately, so I called the recon line today. The rep told me that I cannot have more than one of this card at the same time, which sounds like BS according to what people report here. Is there anything that I can do? Should I call back and try my luck again?

Edit:
Called back just now and was again told that they are restricting this card to 1 per person right now. Considering people are reporting success today, I doubt this rule is that strict... What should I do now?

Superorb Feb 10, 2015 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever (Post 24325817)
I have 2 Barclay cards:

barclay card 1: 2 years old with 8k credit limit
Barclay card 2: 6 months old with 7.5 credit limit

Would I have more success getting a third one if I lowered the credit limit on the previous two? I did this with citi and was instantly approved.

Thanks!

I reduced my Arrival card by $5,000 and was approved for a UA card a few days later for a $5,000 limit. It certainly couldn't hurt, and if you're not using those cards you won't miss the lower credit line.

Originally Posted by kevinwangjk (Post 24326033)
Applied last Friday for my 2nd USAirways card. I got my first one over a year ago.

It was not approved immediately, so I called the recon line today. The rep told me that I cannot have more than one of this card at the same time, which sounds like BS according to what people report here. Is there anything that I can do? Should I call back and try my luck again?

Edit:
Called back just now and was again told that they are restricting this card to 1 per person right now. Considering people are reporting success today, I doubt this rule is that strict... What should I do now?

For a while now it has been that you will never get a 2nd card if you're outright declined, or if a human has to look at it. But plenty of people have gotten their 2nd or even 3rd card, but instant approval is key. If it's not instantly approved a bunch of us have just waited and gotten approved in a few days. But if you call you're guaranteed to be denied.

kevinwangjk Feb 10, 2015 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 24326170)
For a while now it has been that you will never get a 2nd card if you're outright declined, or if a human has to look at it. But plenty of people have gotten their 2nd or even 3rd card, but instant approval is key. If it's not instantly approved a bunch of us have just waited and gotten approved in a few days. But if you call you're guaranteed to be denied.

Ahh I thought I read the Wiki very carefully but apparently missed the words "with calling recon significantly reducing your chances". I had to search for the word "recon" to find that just now. Probably better to have a separate line for that in the wiki.

So I should just accept the fact that I wasted a hard inquiry now?