FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1495478-wells-fargo-5x-rewards-cap.html)

hokiegl Jul 24, 2014 8:23 pm

Here is why you should NEVER put small charges on MS cards

Its called a test charge. Typically when a card gets stolen, thieves will try and use the card for a small amount somewhere like a grocery store. Then after that works, they go hog wild somewhere else. Most algorithms detect this kind of activity, so if they see a small charge followed by really large ones, they block.

I bought 17 VGC one by one the other day without a single block. I buy them individually to avoid the manager override.

xlax Jul 24, 2014 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by hokiegl (Post 23252867)

I bought 17 VGC one by one the other day without a single block. I buy them individually to avoid the manager override.

All for identical amounts? I've tried yo avoid that pattern.

teddy25 Jul 25, 2014 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Rob14 (Post 23225152)
I'm out 75 bucks from purchases made on July 3. My statement closed today, I'll see if it works it's self out on my billing cycle.

Cycle closed but not seeing the $250. That increased my expenses by 5%.

Also it looks like this is not their only it weakness.

jazzmailman Jul 26, 2014 3:57 pm

Just to add another note that I got the "Use of account is temporarily restricted" message when I logged onto my Wells Fargo Account. Called and WF just wanted to verify a few recent activities.

zeppoloveskafka Jul 26, 2014 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by jazzmailman (Post 23262121)
Just to add another note that I got the "Use of account is temporarily restricted" message when I logged onto my Wells Fargo Account. Called and WF just wanted to verify a few recent activities.

I've gotten blocked now 3 times or so in the last 10 days. Right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing, so no worries. Left hand might not even know what left hand did a few days prior. If they ever find a reason to clap though, that's not good for the gnats in the middle.

Happy Jul 26, 2014 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka (Post 23262214)
I've gotten blocked now 3 times or so in the last 10 days. Right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing, so no worries. Left hand might not even know what left hand did a few days prior. If they ever find a reason to clap though, that's not good for the gnats in the middle.

Thanks for the good chuckles although I am sure it is not funny if it were me experience such...but what you describe it is so true...

levander Jul 29, 2014 9:30 am

I'm thinking these data points are of interest to people, so I'm posting...

I made my fraud call-in to verify transactions last Wednesday (as posted about above). Figuring I'm good to go for at least a little while, I figure I'll hit the card hard now!

The next day, I bought $4K in VGC's at my usual grocery store. It's the one I always go to.

But figuring it'd be a good idea not to show up all the time, totaling $20K in VGC's over a month, I decided to branch out a little and went to a different grocery store. Same chain, just different location.

So with my 2nd transaction since making my fraud call to verify transactions, I bought another $4K in VGC's. Transaction declined.

I think it was declined because I'd never purchased anything at this grocery store before.

I actually called in to clear the block right there from the line at the cash register, while the cashier still had my gift cards. It took forever it seemed to get through WF's voice menu system that never understands what I say into the phone. Finally got a human and she had me verify transactions, then she hung up without saying anything... Now really ticked I think for a second and ask the cashier to run it now, maybe she took off the block? Cashier runs it again and it goes through fine... At least I don't have to make yet another run to get my VGC's this week...

Cashiers at Kroger were horribly nice about the whole thing. As soon as I mentioned I wanted to call the bank, they were like "oh yes, yes!" And ran over and had another cashier open another line to get rid of the people waiting behind me.

I'm pretty sure the fraud alert went off because I was at a new store. The very first call I had to make, right after getting the card and had only bought 1 $500 VGC at one Kreeger. And $2500 in VGC's at a different Kreeger. The fraud guy who spoke to me made a point about that, he was saying, "these were two different Kreegers?" with suspicious sound in his voice...

zeppoloveskafka Jul 29, 2014 11:07 am

I had something similar happen. I got a 4th recent lock yesterday at my very normal CVS, which was also my 2nd transaction since my unblock. I was caught off guard. I ran the card immediately again and it went through (as has been the pattern thus far). I have not attempted another transaction or to call them. I did have a near blind cashier (I'm not exaggerating, she walks with a cane), so it's possible she messed up my 4 digits on the first try, but I don't know if that leads to black death screen.

One other possibility is that the person that unblocked yours (and my) card last time, did not clear all of the "suspicious" charges, only 1 or 2.

TheDapperDon Jul 29, 2014 2:44 pm

I just opened a checking and savings account with Wells Fargo a few minutes ago. The branch manager mentioned that I qualified for the Cash rewards card and that I had a "firm offer". He subsequently mentioned that I would only see a soft pull on my credit report if I decided to open the account. Too good to be true?

ChuckMango Jul 29, 2014 3:41 pm

rewards website been down for a couple of days now...

ddallas Jul 29, 2014 6:27 pm

My 6 months are up now. Guess I will close it and try for another one after a while. I got the letter that some have mentioned about getting 1.35% in cash rewards now instead of 1% on all spend (You are one of our most valued cardholders! Because you have made at least $50,000 in purchases...) but I currently have other cards that give me a higher percent cash back than that. It's nice that WF is trying to be a player in the rewards card field. This is a heck of a card for the first six months.

skibum7732 Jul 29, 2014 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 23277696)
I just opened a checking and savings account with Wells Fargo a few minutes ago. The branch manager mentioned that I qualified for the Cash rewards card and that I had a "firm offer". He subsequently mentioned that I would only see a soft pull on my credit report if I decided to open the account. Too good to be true?

Guarenteed 100% wrong, if you apply for a cc it will generate a hard pull...many banks branch managers are absolutely clueless:D

ziwei Jul 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by ChuckMango (Post 23277983)
rewards website been down for a couple of days now...

yes, I am waiting to redeem points too. maybe they are updating their system?

TheDapperDon Jul 30, 2014 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732 (Post 23278667)
Guarenteed 100% wrong, if you apply for a cc it will generate a hard pull...many banks branch managers are absolutely clueless:D

He was lying through his teeth. But, I still had to ask smh.

ChuckMango Jul 30, 2014 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by ziwei (Post 23279541)
yes, I am waiting to redeem points too. maybe they are updating their system?

its been almost 4 days... :confused: