FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1495478-wells-fargo-5x-rewards-cap.html)

zeppoloveskafka Feb 1, 2014 7:58 am

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew (Post 22264436)
So you have successfully applied and been approved for a second Wells card? Did you do cash once and rewards or the exact same product? Did you keep card 1 open?

not 2nd WF card.

wvums Feb 1, 2014 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka (Post 22255181)
I'm in a good groove right now. No fraud calls or declines in a month after getting many.
I definitely think the key is sticking to large purchases. I'm not swiping this card for anything under $1000, and I prefer $2000 (my stores aren't allowing more). All those $500s, and filler purchases were only hurting.

Also very careful about no mistakes with paying down credit line on weekend when things don't post overnight. I'm now at the point where I confidently expect that white screen to show up at CVS.

I'm making partial payments almost everyday, paying off nearly entirely whatever posted the night before.

I dropped all my reg spend filler purchases and had 2500 spend 2 days ago and just tested a 4000 purchase and no fraud alert. It looks like large purchases only are the way to go. And I can relate to the anticipation for the cvs white screen!

adminds Feb 1, 2014 5:50 pm

I still have 5x on purchases from grocery store, but 0 on purchases from CVS.

Originally Posted by Dave4086 (Post 22261414)
Just a warning to anyone who got the card in late August... they count August as a full month no matter when you received the card.

If your card was opened in the month, no matter what day, that is 1 of your 6 months. I basically got 5 months out of my 6 due to the way they determine this. I've only had 5 statements close, so it isn't statement driven.

Just be aware, check your reward activity to see if you get the bonus applied. Mine still shows the '5x' line but shows $0 contributed to my pending rewards from it.

adminds Feb 1, 2014 6:14 pm

T&C:

Important 5x Rewards Points Notice:
Cardholderswillearnone(1)rewardspointforev ery$1spentinnetpurchases(purchasesminusret urns/credits)madeontheCreditCardaccount,
roundedtothenearestwholedollar.Duringthefirst6monthsfromthedatetheaccoun tisopened,forpurchasesmadeatretailerswhosemerchant
codeforVisaisclassifiedinoneofthefollowin gcategories:grocerystores,drugstoresandgass tations,Cardholderswillearnanadditionalfour (4)
rewardspointsforevery$1spentinnetpurchases madeontheCreditCardaccount,roundedtothen earestwholedollar.Theseadditionalrewards
pointsearnedduringthefirst6monthsatthesel ectmerchantswillappearontheCardholder'sacco untstatement1-2billingperiodsfromthedate
earned.

According to T&C, we should get 5X till the end of Feb.

Just a warning to anyone who got the card in late August... they count August as a full month no matter when you received the card.

If your card was opened in the month, no matter what day, that is 1 of your 6 months. I basically got 5 months out of my 6 due to the way they determine this. I've only had 5 statements close, so it isn't statement driven.

Just be aware, check your reward activity to see if you get the bonus applied. Mine still shows the '5x' line but shows $0 contributed to my pending rewards from it.

mjcohen82182 Feb 1, 2014 9:20 pm

I've got the WF rewards card and my last month is this month so I applied for the WF Cash Back card and was approved online. Only problem is I only got a 2k credit limit versus my rewards card has 10k. I called to ask if they transfer credit limit similar to Chase and the rep said no. Said I would need to request a credit limit increase for the 2k card. I even asked if I cancelled it could I get that credit limit applied to the card and he said no.

Any suggestions? Should I just request the increase without cancelling or wait until my 6th month posts and then cancel?

newbynewbynew Feb 2, 2014 7:39 am

Originally Posted by mjcohen82182 (Post 22268308)
I've got the WF rewards card and my last month is this month so I applied for the WF Cash Back card and was approved online. Only problem is I only got a 2k credit limit versus my rewards card has 10k. I called to ask if they transfer credit limit similar to Chase and the rep said no. Said I would need to request a credit limit increase for the 2k card. I even asked if I cancelled it could I get that credit limit applied to the card and he said no.

Any suggestions? Should I just request the increase without cancelling or wait until my 6th month posts and then cancel?

I don't think anyone knows as WF just became lucrative with these 5x cards. Do you have a branch close by? Do you have a checking account with them? Maybe talking to someone in person could get a CL reallocated. Good luck!

newbynewbynew Feb 2, 2014 7:42 am

my statement closes Friday, so I don't want to rack up any more 5x charges if I'm not getting the bonus points as they are saying 0 now for at least 2 of my recent charges and I have $6K not even showing yet that will probably be 0 too. I'll wait to draw attention to it until I cashout my rewards once they post Friday. These guys are sneaky so to anyone expecting everything to post perfectly, be sure you're checking your pending activity in your rewards before racking up ten thousands in purchases.

mjcohen82182 Feb 2, 2014 7:49 am

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew (Post 22270353)
I don't think anyone knows as WF just became lucrative with these 5x cards. Do you have a branch close by? Do you have a checking account with them? Maybe talking to someone in person could get a CL reallocated. Good luck!

I've got a HSA, 401K and recently opened a checking account with WF. I called this morning and they told me to call back on M-F when the application department is open. So whoever I spoke to last night probably didn't know what they were talking about.

digital330 Feb 2, 2014 9:47 am

My card application was Sept 4th 2013 - no neither 6 calendar months nor 6 billing cycles are over yet. Still I have the same 0 pending points issue for transactions done in last week or so - for all transactions (CVS, WG, Grocery).

newbynewbynew Feb 2, 2014 10:17 am

maybe we give it until Monday/Tuesday since things can not always be reliable on weekends. Could be a bug that will work itself out.

adminds Feb 2, 2014 1:07 pm

I called WF rewards, and was told that my bonus period ended on 1/28. The rewards CSR insisted that my card was opened on 8/1/13, although it's actually approved at the end of August.

LoveMountains Feb 2, 2014 1:56 pm

My card was also activated on Aug.28 or 29 and I am seeing the same 0s that everyone else is seeing.

carsonheim Feb 3, 2014 3:10 pm

hmmm, are they reneging on the bonuses? I'm just finishing up my second statement -- first statement opened and closed the day after my card was activated (lame!). My rewards show $9.xx. Ummmm, even if I took out all of the 5% categories, and only do a 1% CB for everything NOT grocery/gas/drug, it should still be about $16. With the 5% bonus it should be over $1000.

Is this new behavior for WF? Could some folks who've had this for several months chime in?

wvums Feb 3, 2014 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by carsonheim (Post 22279500)
hmmm, are they reneging on the bonuses? I'm just finishing up my second statement -- first statement opened and closed the day after my card was activated (lame!). My rewards show $9.xx. Ummmm, even if I took out all of the 5% categories, and only do a 1% CB for everything NOT grocery/gas/drug, it should still be about $16. With the 5% bonus it should be over $1000.

Is this new behavior for WF? Could some folks who've had this for several months chime in?

I'm in my second statement month. I had a GS transaction post from the 30th with the 5% bonus and I have a large CVS purchase with a Pending status from 2/1 that is also showing the 5X bonus pending also.

fletch512 Feb 3, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm in my fifth statement (about 7 more days before it closes). Purchases up until 1/30 showed the full 5x bonus. Purchases after 2/1 show base earnings but have a 0 in the 5x bonus category. These were pharmacy purchases. Weird, because purchases that didn't have bonuses before didn't even list the 5x bonus category, much less have a zero there. I'm over my credit limit for this statement -- I wonder if that has anything to do with why some people are seeing bonuses and some aren't. I'll make a small purchase at CVS tomorrow and see what happens.

If the 5x bonuses don't post by tomorrow, something's rotten in Denmark.