FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1495478-wells-fargo-5x-rewards-cap.html)

Duffman Jan 18, 2014 7:48 am

Good luck! Pls do post back your experience.

Also for others considering this card, opening a WF bank acc is very helpful.

cowboyguy Jan 19, 2014 1:04 pm

So I activated my card last night & while speaking with the CSR, I requested to remove any kinds of blocks from my card even if I'm making large purchases. The CSR said its not possible to remove blocks but please give us a call before making any large purchases. So I said that I'm gonna make a large purchase ($2,000) tomorrow at CVS. He verified some info & said Ok. The next day I made this purchase & everything worked fine.

So my question is, why don't everyone do the same, i.e. call them before making a big purchase & you'll be good to go. Am I missing something here?

zeppoloveskafka Jan 19, 2014 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by cowboyguy (Post 22183386)
So I activated my card last night & while speaking with the CSR, I requested to remove any kinds of blocks from my card even if I'm making large purchases. The CSR said its not possible to remove blocks but please give us a call before making any large purchases. So I said that I'm gonna make a large purchase ($2,000) tomorrow at CVS. He verified some info & said Ok. The next day I made this purchase & everything worked fine.

So my question is, why don't everyone do the same, i.e. call them before making a big purchase & you'll be good to go. Am I missing something here?

You are missing something here. You are playing Russian Roulette and eventually you'll come across a CSR that will start asking questions, make a note on your account, and so on. The idea is to not bring extra attention to yourself. And as somebody else doing this, I'd rather you not bring any extra attention to any of us.

What's the plan going forward? Going to call everyday? Why not just make one phone call and tell them you'll be spending $100,000 over the next few months and save yourself the time. See how that goes.

cowboyguy Jan 19, 2014 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka (Post 22183756)
You are missing something here. You are playing Russian Roulette and eventually you'll come across a CSR that will start asking questions, make a note on your account, and so on. The idea is to not bring extra attention to yourself. And as somebody else doing this, I'd rather you not bring any extra attention to any of us.

What's the plan going forward? Going to call everyday? Why not just make one phone call and tell them you'll be spending $100,000 over the next few months and save yourself the time. See how that goes.

Calm down man. Take it easy. It was just a hypothetical question. Cheers!

cuebert Jan 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew (Post 22169116)
Welp, 4th statement closed last week and got the account restricted message online and request to call them. This should be fun. We'll see if I can keep it open.

Are you able to keep it open?

zeppoloveskafka Jan 19, 2014 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by cowboyguy (Post 22184186)
Calm down man. Take it easy. It was just a hypothetical question. Cheers!

It wasn't a hypothetical question. You actually did call in. The fact that you even proposed continuing to do it shows you are completely clueless to how this all works.

cowboyguy Jan 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka (Post 22184523)
It wasn't a hypothetical question. You actually did call in. The fact that you even proposed continuing to do it shows you are completely clueless to how this all works.

The hypothetical question was about everyone calling in before making a large purchase, not that I called in. And I didn't say anything about what I was purchasing. [...]

newbynewbynew Jan 19, 2014 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by cuebert (Post 22184284)
Are you able to keep it open?

Yes, back up and running. Did $2K today without issue.

ma91pmh Jan 20, 2014 7:27 am

Originally Posted by cowboyguy (Post 22184973)
The hypothetical question was about everyone calling in before making a large purchase, not that I called in. And I didn't say anything about what I was purchasing. [...]

Let me keep it real simple: DON'T CALL

When you get declined for a security alert, man up and deal with it

beachmiles Jan 20, 2014 9:24 am

Checking acc funding with CC ?

I guess I'll open a checking account online , to improve my chances of approval. I noticed the checking account application page offers Credit Card as a funding source.
A few years back this was a popular way to earn miles with Citi cards, but don't hear it mentioned anymore.
I know the possibility of being charged a cash advance fee exist. Anybody care to share experiences on this. OK to PM me

rhambus Jan 20, 2014 9:40 am

Just FYI, I got scammed by Wells Fargo. I noticed today that my WF card was not getting 5% cash back on gas, groceries, and drugstores. Called them and they said "that's not guaranteed, sometimes you only get 1%." I said that their website said 5% and they responded "it's not guaranteed." I can't find the offer letter but I presume it had some kind of weaselly language in it that got them out of it. But just a warning to be wary. We have banked with WF for years (well, Wachovia before) and we may quit now. This is deceitful and I expect better from these big companies.

drdrew450 Jan 20, 2014 11:44 am

Originally Posted by cowboyguy (Post 22183386)

first rule of fight club.
Don't talk about fight club!
etc

newbynewbynew Jan 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by rhambus (Post 22188028)
Just FYI, I got scammed by Wells Fargo. I noticed today that my WF card was not getting 5% cash back on gas, groceries, and drugstores. Called them and they said "that's not guaranteed, sometimes you only get 1%." I said that their website said 5% and they responded "it's not guaranteed." I can't find the offer letter but I presume it had some kind of weaselly language in it that got them out of it. But just a warning to be wary. We have banked with WF for years (well, Wachovia before) and we may quit now. This is deceitful and I expect better from these big companies.

How do you know you aren't getting 5%? If you received an offer "letter" maybe you did not sign up for the right card. If you went to the public offer on their website, you should have 5% in those categories.

rgAAFT Jan 21, 2014 4:40 pm

How are people going about finding out the date when their 5X promo is almost over? Has anyone been able to call and find out the end date? I know if nothing weird happens mine is supposed to end sometime in March or April 2014, but don't know exactly and don't want to waste a better opportunity as a result !? Also, in the beginning there was info going around that there was a hidden $10k monthly cap on 5X earning with this card? Is that true? PM's welcome!
Thanks

zeppoloveskafka Jan 22, 2014 5:58 am

Originally Posted by rgAAFT (Post 22197270)
How are people going about finding out the date when their 5X promo is almost over? Has anyone been able to call and find out the end date? I know if nothing weird happens mine is supposed to end sometime in March or April 2014, but don't know exactly and don't want to waste a better opportunity as a result !? Also, in the beginning there was info going around that there was a hidden $10k monthly cap on 5X earning with this card? Is that true? PM's welcome!
Thanks

I suspect it will end on the last day of statement 7. However I'm just going to keep purchasing and checking my rewards. I'd rather have a few days at 1% then miss a few days at 5%.

Not sure what you mean about 10K cap. I've spent well over 10K per month on the card and gotten full value. But I doubt anybody is earning over 10K in rewards... that would require 200,000 of spending on the card in a month, right?