Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
No approval

So I made an online Application for this card last week.

I last applied for this card in Oc 2016, closed account in March 2017.

Applied this week and spoke to recon line, they have advised application has been rejected instantly with No CC pull as I have had this product recently.

How long should I wait before applying again?

The main reason for my application was to keep 30k mikes from expiring in Dec 2017.

I have since booked a reward seat for Late March 2018, if I cancel this reward seat will my miles be returned back to my account?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
So I made an online Application for this card last week.

I last applied for this card in Oc 2016, closed account in March 2017.

Applied this week and spoke to recon line, they have advised application has been rejected instantly with No CC pull as I have had this product recently.

How long should I wait before applying again?
you should wait at least 4-5 months, the app will show on your account for 90 days and you should wait more than the 90 days, a lot of people wait 6 months for an application of the same rejected card.

did you have any other Barclay cards still open when you applied?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
yes - I have the Aviator Silver card.

SO I should wait 3-6 months before submitting again?

Will try again in Feb....

If I can get the card and cancel award ticket the expiring miles should be ok.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:19 pm

So I got the declined letter in mail today:

The exact reason being:

"Our records show that you've already established the maximum allowable number of this product with us - Please let us know immediately if you did not apply for or receive this product previously.
A credit bureau report was not used in making this determination"

I have had this card twice in 4 years - trying to understand if there is a hidden policy in place.

Last edited by navatwal; Oct 24, 2017 at 6:25 pm
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:07 am

I am not sure if there is any recent change in policy, we last apply for this card a month or two ago and we had no problem getting approved.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:37 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
trying to understand if there is a hidden policy in place.
I don't think there needs to be. You wrote earlier that you applied for this card in October 2016, closed it in March 2017 and applied again in October 2017. So less than a year will have passed between bonus miles being credited and a new application being made and -- depending on your billing cycle -- possibly fewer than six months since the final statement.

It's possible that they're tightening up the rules but also possible that you were just a little too eager.

Last edited by IMH; Nov 12, 2017 at 9:41 am Reason: spelling ("application")
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by IMH
I don't think there needs to be. You wrote earlier that you applied for this card in October 2016, closed it in March 2017 and applied again in October 2017. So less than a year will have passed between bonus miles being credited and a new aplication being made and -- depending on your billing cycle -- possibly fewer than six months since the final statement.

It's possible that they're tightening up the rules but also possible that you were just a little too eager.
While I really doubt it's a hard and fast rule, mostly I've read that the safe way to go is to wait 6 months between Barclays apps. Of course I don't really know, because that's what I've been doing. Maybe if I'd pushed it more, I'd have gotten more cards, no way to know.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:49 am
IMH

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
[...] mostly I've read that the safe way to go is to wait 6 months between Barclays apps. [...] Maybe if I'd pushed it more, I'd have gotten more cards, no way to know.
Not pushing it is the sensible long term approach. I usually only apply for a Barclaycard product every eight or nine months and this particular card once every 18 months.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by IMH
Not pushing it is the sensible long term approach. I usually only apply for a Barclaycard product every eight or nine months and this particular card once every 18 months.
i have been doing this for awhile and 5 months between cards is what i normally do, i have pushed it last week and applied for a card 8-9 days after another card, my 2nd card went pending, still no sign of any denial or approval, but 5 months is the way to go.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Miles & More Credit Card

Hi,

is this card churnable? I have it open and interested in some more M&M points.

Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Hi,

is this card churnable? !
I have added your question to the established thread discussing this card. Scroll back to read relevant discussion which may answer.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:38 am

Hi,

is this card churnable? I have it open and interested in some more M&M points.

Thanks!
100% churnable within the usual Barclaycard parameters. If you close the account, it will take 6 months to disappear from your online accounts lising, which cannot be accelerated. If you apply in those 6 months, you will likely get rejected because the system thinks you already have this product. Call in to point out it's a closed account after rejection letter, and you'll manually get approved if otherwise OK.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
So I got the declined letter in mail today:

The exact reason being:

"Our records show that you've already established the maximum allowable number of this product with us - Please let us know immediately if you did not apply for or receive this product previously.
A credit bureau report was not used in making this determination"

I have had this card twice in 4 years - trying to understand if there is a hidden policy in place.
interesting!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:34 pm

interesting!
No policy change, app'd for DW couple weeks ago, approved after call-in.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:57 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by wyogold
No policy change
I don't think so either. Two members of our family successfully applied for this card in November, for what I'm pretty sure is the fourth time.

oneworld82: You quoted a post from October. As discussed above, the most likely reason for navatwal's rejection is that s/he applied a touch too soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.