Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The miles expire in 3 years if no activity, just use the card, or apply for another card.

They also are booking cash and points,

Two years or so they quit selling miles.

The card does change the rules, but then so do other cards...

The miles should post when you pay the charge, so pay the charge early.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
The miles expire in 3 years if no activity, just use the card
With other credit cards, using the card for even a small purchase will re-set the expiration date, but Lufthansa states:
"Each month you need to make a minimum of one purchase (to avoid miles expiration after 36 months)."
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:56 am

Hi all
Does anyone know if this CC offer can also be issued / used as LX? meaning, can the companion ticket and lounge entry be used on on LX in ZRH for example?
Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
I was denied the card due to to many recently opened accounts. Not sure the time frame but I think 2 cards opened in the last two months prior to applying. I do have a few Barclaycards, Aviator Silver opened 2 plus years ago, Jet Blue card about 1 year and Arrival + opened 6 months ago. All have pretty large CLs. I've found Barclaycards easy to get immediate approval with online app typically so was surprised.

Is there a reconsideration line to call(don't see in Wiki). Should I just call customer service on one of my other card? I don't see why, like other cards, they wouldn't reconsider with moving around my CL from other cards. What's my next play if any?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I was denied the card due to to many recently opened accounts. ...
Is there a reconsideration line to call(don't see in Wiki)...don't see why, like other cards, they wouldn't reconsider with moving around my CL from other cards.
You could call the number on your other card, or try this one: 866-408-4064; I believe it is a reconsideration number.

In my experience Barclays is quite strict about "too many recently opened accounts"; you should have a good reason handy to tell them if they ask you why you have so many new accounts.

Hope it works out for you.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by muji
My understanding is that Lufthansa miles expire exclusively based on when they were earned.

Even if you are approved for a new card and earn bonus miles right away, the new miles will not likely post before March 31.
so basically miles earned via CC in Jan 2015, will expire in Jan 2018; earned in Feb 2015, will expire in Feb 2018. and so forth?

man, this is difficult. on top of that, i know you are supposed to charge something to the card each month. i think i forget to make a purchase in one of the months recently, and now i m screwed
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
i know you are supposed to charge something to the card each month. i think i forget to make a purchase in one of the months recently, and now i m screwed
I would call them. You never know, maybe they'll give you a break, or will have an idea that will help you out.
Worth a try. Hope it works out for you.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by muji
You could call the number on your other card, or try this one: 866-408-4064; I believe it is a reconsideration number.

In my experience Barclays is quite strict about "too many recently opened accounts"; you should have a good reason handy to tell them if they ask you why you have so many new accounts.

Hope it works out for you.
Thanks for info. I called customerservice on another card I have then they rerouted m e to reconsideration line. I was unsuccessful at this previously. They were very nice and asked a few questions and wanted to know if I could move CL from a Jet Blue card which I did, card now on its way.

I should have applied for 50k offer but didn't know about it. They couldn't change it now but what about when card received? I've done that with other cards before....it gets me almost my business class reward one way, saving the starpoints for other uses....
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I was denied the card due to to many recently opened accounts. Not sure the time frame but I think 2 cards opened in the last two months prior to applying. I do have a few Barclaycards, Aviator Silver opened 2 plus years ago, Jet Blue card about 1 year and Arrival + opened 6 months ago. All have pretty large CLs. I've found Barclaycards easy to get immediate approval with online app typically so was surprised.

Is there a reconsideration line to call(don't see in Wiki). Should I just call customer service on one of my other card? I don't see why, like other cards, they wouldn't reconsider with moving around my CL from other cards. What's my next play if any?
This is a late response, but I had the same thing happen to me last year and they were a firm "no" when I called reconsideration. And I only had 3 Barclays cards (Arrival+ / AAdvantage / Wyndham). I've been a bit spooked about reapplying for anything Barclays since then. Especially since I do open a lot of cards.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:11 pm

Applied for Lufthansa card in late September so was thinking abt canceling now in hopes of churning it in this coming fall again. Does Barclay give you a a hard time if you call up to cancel ?

At the same time. Was also wondering if it is a good idea to be without Barclay card as this is my only card to prove existing relationship with them
Old May 22, 2017, 12:46 pm

Didnt know Lufthansa 50K offer is back again (I thought it expired back in Oct/Nov last year).

Plan to cancel my existing LH card now, and then wait for 6 months, and apply again
Also, even if I get a second LH card and begin earning miles, the LH M&M miles I earned from the first card will still expire 36 months after the earn date, right?

Thanks

Edits: Whoops, I think most people only cancel LH card after it is about 10-11 months old. Think I will wait for a few more weeks. Just hope the 50K offer will still last.

Last edited by gnomey; May 22, 2017 at 12:56 pm
Old May 29, 2017, 7:21 am

Just hope the 50K offer will still last.
It usually lasts for a few months, goes away, then comes back again with an unpredictable schedule. It's been that way for a number of years.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:01 pm

Applied for Lufthansa card in late September so was thinking abt canceling now in hopes of churning it in this coming fall again. Does Barclay give you a a hard time if you call up to cancel ?
send a secure message.

Edits: Whoops, I think most people only cancel LH card after it is about 10-11 months old. Think I will wait for a few more weeks. Just hope the 50K offer will still last.
I am not sure that is the case. My wife got LH card in 2/2016, then another 7/16 and a third in 4/2017, always cancelled the previous card a month to a month and half from the next app.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
send a secure message.

I am not sure that is the case. My wife got LH card in 2/2016, then another 7/16 and a third in 4/2017, always cancelled the previous card a month to a month and half from the next app.
Thanks for the tip. Do you space your Barclay applications to be 5-6 months apart in general? I tried once to apply for a second barclaycard after 4 months of the previous app but failed cos they want to see more history first on he presiding one
Old May 29, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
It usually lasts for a few months, goes away, then comes back again with an unpredictable schedule. It's been that way for a number of years.
I see. Good to know !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.