Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apply credit cards for a senior?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline

My mother is a senior. She doesn't work anymore. She's receiving food stamp and SSI. She doesn't want to use credit cards much. but her credit score is above 700. There are a lot of bonus cards in this forum such as chase and citi. How can she apply these ones? Every application asks for income, will applying credit cards affect her SSI or food stamp, in other word, will she not be qualified for SSI and food stamp if she applies credit cards for bonus?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:01 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
I've applied for 10+ cards and have never had my income verified. If she has to call reconsideration be prepared to answer more question about the job and income stated. Its up to you what you do with that information. I will say its a shame to see a SSN with such credit go to waste.

I don't think opening credit lines has any affect on receiving Food stamps/SSI. This is just me thinking I have no experience with it so seek more opinions.

Last edited by caGALINDO; Nov 29, 2012 at 9:49 pm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond

How much above 700 is her credit score? In my opinion, anyone on food stamps and SSI and only a credit score that is "above 700" has no business getting credit cards. Too much risk for both the individual and the bank.

Last edited by deant; Nov 29, 2012 at 11:07 am
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
creditkarma is 720. Of couse this one is for sign up bonus. She will not use it for daily expense. After meeting the bonuses, I will close it after months. I am just afraid it will affect her SSI/food stamp only.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:34 pm

If I were you I would do absolutely nothing to risk your mother's real income. I have a friend who got caught with something similar. For points, don't risk it.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
You never know if it will affect SSI or food stamps. What is to stop her from using the CC and spending above her ability to pay (even if she were approved)? With a 720 score you are playing with fire.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by topenga47
If I were you I would do absolutely nothing to risk your mother's real income. I have a friend who got caught with something similar. For points, don't risk it.
+1
If you don't have the income even with the credit score don't get involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.