Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Using a creditcard after Balance Transfer/min payments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold

Hi,

I have a 0% balance transfer on a Citi AA card that has about 6K sitting on it, I was wondering, since I am currently paying the minimum monthly payments, if I put a charge on it will I get stung with interest that I cannot clear until the entire card is paid down?

Currently I don't use the card, but it means I missed out on Small Business Saturday -by missed out I mean I only used 8 cards

Is it that it loads new charges behind the zero balance so any payments I make will apply to the balance transfer amount and the new charges will sit there accruing interest as I believe, or can you pay them down first?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
It depends. Some banks have policies that went into effect ove the past two years due to both the SAFE Act and CARD Act that regulate how banks apply your payments to balances owed.

In previous years, banks would apply payments to the lowest APRs first allowing them to profit from the high APR categories (purchases and cash advances). Now, most banks apply your payment to highest APRs first. For example, BofA now applies your payments to whatever the highest APR you owe, first. Chase states that they allocate your payment "however [we] choose".

So, either call up Citi and ask them how they allocate payments or pull up the T&Cs for your card and you'll find the answer.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by BankerManUSA
It depends. Some banks have policies that went into effect ove the past two years due to both the SAFE Act and CARD Act that regulate how banks apply your payments to balances owed.

In previous years, banks would apply payments to the lowest APRs first allowing them to profit from the high APR categories (purchases and cash advances). Now, most banks apply your payment to highest APRs first. For example, BofA now applies your payments to whatever the highest APR you owe, first. Chase states that they allocate your payment "however [we] choose".

So, either call up Citi and ask them how they allocate payments or pull up the T&Cs for your card and you'll find the answer.
+1 the T&C's usually give you all the information, if not call. ^
Old Nov 25, 2012, 2:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Hi,

I have a 0% balance transfer on a Citi AA card that has about 6K sitting on it, I was wondering, since I am currently paying the minimum monthly payments, if I put a charge on it will I get stung with interest that I cannot clear until the entire card is paid down?

Currently I don't use the card, but it means I missed out on Small Business Saturday -by missed out I mean I only used 8 cards

Is it that it loads new charges behind the zero balance so any payments I make will apply to the balance transfer amount and the new charges will sit there accruing interest as I believe, or can you pay them down first?
Minimum payment will be applied to the balance with the lowest interest rate. Payment in excess of minimum payment will then be applied to the higher interest rate balance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.