Community
Wiki Posts
Search

old bankmiles visa card advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, Chase Sapphire, AA, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club, US Bank Flexperks, UA Mileage Plus
old bankmiles visa card advice

Hi all...new to FT and appreciate all the advice here...I have an old First Citizens Bank Visa card with the Bankmiles program attached. I earn $100 for every $7000 I spend. Hubby and I spend between $3000 and $3500/mo. so I was earning $100 every couple of months. I recently cashed in $1100 for flights to Europe...close to earning another $100...plan to use this card until my new ones arrive...

My question is this...now that I'm "into" the new CCs and award points, do you think I should cancel the Bankmiles part of this card ( $40 fee per year), or hold on to it to use after I meet the spending requirements of the new cards ( Chase Sapphire, SWG, AA Citibank...so far) ?

Probably a silly question, but advice is most helpful...thanks !
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:47 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I moved your question from the MilesBuzz! forum to our specialized Credit Card Programs forum. Please review this Announcment which appears at the top of MilesBuzz! to understand where credit card topics are discussed:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...opics-523.html
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, Chase Sapphire, AA, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club, US Bank Flexperks, UA Mileage Plus
thanks !! I'll be more careful
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:13 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If you can cancel the rewards program, and save the fee, but keep the card account open that would be ideal.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:25 am
Original Poster

yes...I can do that...thanks !
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:49 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by homegirlchris
I earn $100 for every $7000 I spend.
Let's not make this complicated. Unless there's more to it than that, you're earning just over 1.4% cashback.

That's terrible.

You would do far better with almost any other card, including a 2% cashback card like the Fidelity Amex.

mia is right. Cash out then switch to a no-fee version and use the card once every few months to keep it active. (Good for your credit report.)
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

...the only reason I've had that card so long is because I didn't know any better ! You all have educated me...now that hubby and I are both retired, we plan alot more travel, and I can certainly see the benefits to having a different card or two or three...I'll keep the old one w/o the Bankmiles and start reaping more "rewards" with my new ones...I've enjoyed my education so far...never too old to learn a few new tricks, right ??
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Correct!

It seems like you have a good new mix of cards (is the SWG you refer to the Starwood Preferred Guest card from AMEX? SPG?)

You should also look into the Chase United card (for signup bonus), as well as the Chase Freedom card. The Freedom allows you to earn 5x UR points on select rotating categories. Those points combine with the Sapphire Preffered points, and can be used with the CSP bonus for travel purchases or transfered 1:1 to United Airlines, British Airways, Southwest, Hyatt, etc. Theoretically, if you got 40K points with the CSP signup, 10K points with the Freedom, and 60K miles for the UA card, that could combine to around 120K UA miles after hitting spend requirements. That said, the Freedom's 10K UR point bonus is relatively low compared to past offers.

Are your travel plans generally international? If so, what parts of the world? Do you have any airlines or hotel chains you prefer? What airport are you based at, and are you looking to fly coach, business, or first?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by homegirlchris
You all have educated me...
We all had to learn at some point. Sounds like you're well on your way.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

...it is certainly a learning experience ! We live in Buffalo, NY and fly primarily internationally. Short hops to NYC to see our sons, and once in a while to CA for a Napa Valley fix.

I did mean the SPG card...still learning the lingo ! Hubby just got approval on the Chase Priority Club card...that was a surprise...still pending on the Chase United Mileage Plus for me...to answer your question, we usually fly coach...out of necessity more than preference (although I slept all the way to Hong Kong last year with no problem !) Most of our travels are to Europe...China was great...one of our sons was there for 2 yrs...opened our eyes to Asia for sure ... hope to make more trips to that part of the world.

We're flexible on hotels...in fact, we've usually stayed at VRBO places in the past...these new cards will afford us some interesting choices.

Thanks again to all of your for your advice and patience...I'm having a blast so far !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.