Wiki Posts
Search

Does late payment affect credit score?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Does late payment affect credit score?

Hi,

I setup Autopay last month, after the statement closing date, for my Citi AA credit card. The payment due date was more than three weeks away. But apparently autopay doesn't apply for statements that have already closed. I did not know that. I was charged $50 for interest, and $39.99 for late payment fee.

When I called the customer service, they asked me to make the payment and call back once it has been posted (my account is in delinquent state now), they can ask the supervisor if the interest charge or the late payment fee can be waived.

Is this gonna affect my credit score?

Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
If it is one late payment I believe that it will not. As long as you pay the late payment fee it shows paid on time.

I had a similar situation with autopay not kicking in and my credit shows I always pay on-time so it does not look like the bank reported it.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
For purposes of credit reporting "late" typically means "30 days past the due date". If you missed the due date less than 30 days it should not be reported.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: A few
Yes you should be fine. I have missed due dates to my own errors numerous times, and usually just make the full payment quickly and then call customer service to ask them to waive. I have always had success in getting fees and interest waived. As mia points out you need to be at least 30 days late and even above that there is some issuer-dependent leeway. Though don't ever try to find out what it is - a missed payment will see the end of your new credit card days for a long, long time
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:24 am
In memoriam

The posts above provide useful info.

But, to add: OP, I get the impression you have not paid the missed amount with all fees etc. If so, this is the wrong approach as it only increases chance of harm to your credit rating.

Pay immediately, then try to get fees and interest waived.

By the way, I have been told that when you pay and get late fee waived the payment is no longer considered "late" in any way.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:26 am

You wouldn't get a late, AKA "30-day" on your credit report for a delinquent payment < 31 days.
However, the card company (Citi in this case) keeps track of times you have made a late payment. My experience with Chase is that they will generally not CLI you if you have made even a single late payment over the past 12mo, I confirmed this with a credit analyst / underwriter when they didn't CLI me.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:36 pm

In my opinion regarding this specific case AutoPay may not report you to the CRA's but always make it a rule of thumb that to you should always try and keep your payments upto date as other lenders could report you after you're a late. Now again, some may not report you right away due to many factors, always on time, good customer or maybe your a longtime customer etc. On the other hand some give you from 30-59 days after to make payment.. One credit score is so delicate lol.

Last edited by mia; Aug 14, 2012 at 2:43 pm Reason: Remove commercial link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.