FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1333519-alaska-airlines-card-offers-personal-business-2012-2016-a.html)

Brugge Jul 3, 2015 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by aceofcards (Post 24651761)
Don't they tell you right away which card you were approved for online?

My last 3 apps were approved for a Plat card. :rolleyes: Went thru hell each time to get issued a Sig card.

I canceled my 2 open AS cards a month or so ago. And for the first time, I lowered the CL on each one before I canceled it.

On today's app I got a message they couldn't make a decision right then, they would let me know eventually. But that page included the link to check status online. Did that right away, and it said I'm already approved. But not a word about Signature. Drat :(

I wanted to go to pending, so I could call to get approved for a Sig card. So I called Recon, expecting to hear bad news. If so, I'd apply again right away hoping to go pending.

CSR says I've (finally) been approved for a Signature with $17K CL. First time I've ever gotten better than $8K, even from Recon. :cool:

fletchbo Jul 4, 2015 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Brugge (Post 25066054)
My last 3 apps were approved for a Plat card. :rolleyes: Went thru hell each time to get issued a Sig card.

I canceled my 2 open AS cards a month or so ago. And for the first time, I lowered the CL on each one before I canceled it.

On today's app I got a message they couldn't make a decision right then, they would let me know eventually. But that page included the link to check status online. Did that right away, and it said I'm already approved. But not a word about Signature. Drat :(

I wanted to go to pending, so I could call to get approved for a Sig card. So I called Recon, expecting to hear bad news. If so, I'd apply again right away hoping to go pending.

CSR says I've (finally) been approved for a Signature with $17K CL. First time I've ever gotten better than $8K, even from Recon. :cool:

Congrats, Brugge! Thanks for your contributions to this site. I also experienced B of A offering me a 17K credit line, finally, after much lower levels in the past, and even the dreaded Platinum card auto-approval.

Slow and steady wins the race.

michael_v Jul 4, 2015 9:52 am

Did you apply for only one card per day?

Brugge Jul 4, 2015 10:00 am

Originally Posted by fletchbo (Post 25068427)
Congrats, Brugge! Thanks for your contributions to this site. I also experienced B of A offering me a 17K credit line, finally, after much lower levels in the past, and even the dreaded Platinum card auto-approval.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Yeah, I'm going to go for another AS card every 100 days. Partly to keep my HPs at a very high, but less than insane, level :p Partly bc of the reports of Alaska closing accounts of folks getting multiple cards at once. And I guess partly because we are approaching levels of miles in various programs (AA, UA, LH, TYP, MR, UR) that are more than we can actually put to use in the near future (short of a massive multi-program devaluation, of course).

I'm curious if you had any AS cards open when you were approved for your recent AS $17K card? And had you lowered the CL on any previous AS cards, open or closed?

iloverice Jul 4, 2015 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge (Post 25068518)
I'm curious if you had any AS cards open when you were approved for your recent AS $17K card? And had you lowered the CL on any previous AS cards, open or closed?

Back in April, I had 2 personal cards open when I applied with another 2BM. Both were approved instantly with $16k each, although the month before I lowered the limited of the previous cards to $6k each.

Preacher7 Jul 5, 2015 5:40 am

How long are you leaving your AS cards open before you close them? I want to sync the 100 day churn cycle for our entire churn team, but need to know if closing the previously-applied-for cards every 100 days is the way to go, or if we need to wait longer, Thx.

calguy77 Jul 5, 2015 7:26 am

I need advise,

I currently have a BOA Virgin Atlantic CC. I decided to take advantage of the BOA AA Visa Signature offer with 25k points and $100 credit. Applied online, received a pending status. Called in each day to find out what the hold up was, each time I was told they couldn't look at app as it's in a pending status. Today I find out that I was approved but only for $2500 which they transferred from my Virgin Atlantic card. I have numerous CC's and a great Credit Score in the 800's. I tried to call the recon line but am being told that they can't reconsider my acct as its already open. Is there a way to guarantee you get the $5000. I've never had a CC app take credit from another acct to open a new one. Feels very strange. Thank you in advance.

fletchbo Jul 5, 2015 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Brugge (Post 25068518)
Yeah, I'm going to go for another AS card every 100 days. Partly to keep my HPs at a very high, but less than insane, level :p Partly bc of the reports of Alaska closing accounts of folks getting multiple cards at once. And I guess partly because we are approaching levels of miles in various programs (AA, UA, LH, TYP, MR, UR) that are more than we can actually put to use in the near future (short of a massive multi-program devaluation, of course).

I purposely closed my other 2 Alaska cards several weeks before opening this cad with approved 17K line; to free up credit and substantiate the need for 2 more. I DID leave open my Alaska biz card, with a 20K credit line, and Virgin Atl card with minimal 5 K line. From what the reps told me, the Biz CL does not count against personal CL. I keep the Biz card open and doing some regular spending on it, and occassional AX GCs :) to allow them to make some profit.

fletchbo Jul 5, 2015 8:06 am

Originally Posted by calguy77 (Post 25071908)
I need advise,

I currently have a BOA Virgin Atlantic CC. I decided to take advantage of the BOA AA Visa Signature offer with 25k points and $100 credit. Applied online, received a pending status. Called in each day to find out what the hold up was, each time I was told they couldn't look at app as it's in a pending status. Today I find out that I was approved but only for $2500 which they transferred from my Virgin Atlantic card. I have numerous CC's and a great Credit Score in the 800's. I tried to call the recon line but am being told that they can't reconsider my acct as its already open. Is there a way to guarantee you get the $5000. I've never had a CC app take credit from another acct to open a new one. Feels very strange. Thank you in advance.

Read my previous threads, but just know B of A is somewhat random in decision-making, but perhaps your stated income was too low, IF that is your ONLY B of A CC.

I would not bother with upgrading the platinum; too much work. Just take the 5K pts, meet the 1000 spend, get your $100 credit, close the acct in 90 days' then open again, with better luck next time.

Preacher7 Jul 5, 2015 11:16 am

Originally Posted by fletchbo (Post 25072015)
Read my previous threads, but just know B of A is somewhat random in decision-making, but perhaps your stated income was too low, IF that is your ONLY B of A CC.

I would not bother with upgrading the platinum; too much work. Just take the 5K pts, meet the 1000 spend, get your $100 credit, close the acct in 90 days' then open again, with better luck next time.

So you're closing your AS cards within 90 days of opening? How long after closing them do you reapply for new ones?

Brugge Jul 5, 2015 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by calguy77 (Post 25071908)
I need advise,

There is a lengthy and painstaking way to get your Plat card replaced with a Sig card, and get the full 25K bonus. Not "upgraded", once a card is issued, it can't be upgraded, they have to open a new app for you from their side. If you look back thru the thread, I've given the full details on this. Be aware it will take at least 2 months to get the new card, and will involve another HP. So maybe just reapply, hope that due to the recent app it will go to pending, and Recon may very well approve you for a Sig. Then cancel the recent inferior card, it's not worth the AF.

The way to get a Sig card, if you are instantly approved for a lessor card, is to just reapply the same day. Most likely that app will go to pending, or be denied as a mistaken "duplicate app". Then you can call Recon, and get them to reopen the app, give you a Sig for your second app, and cancel the first one. All apps on the same day get combined, so your second, or third if necessary, will only register as one HP with the CB.

Don't keep the lessor cards open, as lately AS is closing the accounts of people who get multiple AS cards the same day. Make sure they are canceled as soon as the Sig card is approved.

Also make sure you apply during weekday business hours, as B/A Recon is closed evenings and weekends, and if you have to call them a day later, you will end up with another HP.

Brugge Jul 5, 2015 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by fletchbo (Post 25072015)
B of A is somewhat random in decision-making, but perhaps your stated income was too low, IF that is your ONLY B of A CC.

The first part is so true, random for sure. The second part not so much. I've done 2 AS apps the same day, been approved for a lowly card with only $3K CL, and had the second one go to pending. Recon had no problem approving the pending one for a Sig with a $8K CL, on top of the $3K I still had open.

Brugge Jul 5, 2015 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7 (Post 25071645)
How long are you leaving your AS cards open before you close them? I want to sync the 100 day churn cycle for our entire churn team, but need to know if closing the previously-applied-for cards every 100 days is the way to go, or if we need to wait longer, Thx.

I got 2 AS cards in January, the second one a Sig card approved immediately at Recon. The first was an instant approval for a Plat. :(

I did the PITA process to get it replaced with a Sig, which took over 2 months to be issued. :rolleyes:

I closed them on 6/14 and 6/30 after first lowering the CLs to $2K each.

I reapplied on 7/3 and was instantly approved for a Sig card. :D

If there was an effect based on time, obviously it was the gap between lowering the CL and reapplying, not between closing and reapplying.

ninim2200 Jul 5, 2015 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge (Post 25073027)
I closed them on 6/14 and 6/30 after first lowering the CLs to $2K each.

Can you lower a signature card to 2K?

calguy77 Jul 5, 2015 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge (Post 25072984)
There is a lengthy and painstaking way to get your Plat card replaced with a Sig card, and get the full 25K bonus. Not "upgraded", once a card is issued, it can't be upgraded, they have to open a new app for you from their side. If you look back thru the thread, I've given the full details on this. Be aware it will take at least 2 months to get the new card, and will involve another HP. So maybe just reapply, hope that due to the recent app it will go to pending, and Recon may very well approve you for a Sig. Then cancel the recent inferior card, it's not worth the AF.

The way to get a Sig card, if you are instantly approved for a lessor card, is to just reapply the same day. Most likely that app will go to pending, or be denied as a mistaken "duplicate app". Then you can call Recon, and get them to reopen the app, give you a Sig for your second app, and cancel the first one. All apps on the same day get combined, so your second, or third if necessary, will only register as one HP with the CB.

Don't keep the lessor cards open, as lately AS is closing the accounts of people who get multiple AS cards the same day. Make sure they are canceled as soon as the Sig card is approved.

Also make sure you apply during weekday business hours, as B/A Recon is closed evenings and weekends, and if you have to call them a day later, you will end up with another HP.

Thanks for the advise, as you previously posted when my app went to pending i called in to get approved for a Sig card but they told me that they couldn't do anything because I was in pending. I had to wait until a decision was made. Then when a decision was made they said they couldn't do anything else. I talked to 3 different reps at each point of the app process. Am I missing something? Thank you again,