Community
Wiki Posts
Search

to freeze or not to freeze before apps

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
2016 - Chase Updates?

I have some questions about an Experian freeze:
1. Does anyone have recent updates on how Chase handles frozen Experian? Will the automated system always go to pending, and will reconsideration manually pull TU or EQ? Or will Chase reconsideration insist on Experian?
2. If asked, what reason should you give the reconsideration agent as to why your Experian report is frozen?
3. Is the process instant to both freeze and unfreeze the Experian report?

I live in MA and nearly all issuers pull Experian nearly 100% of the time including Amex, Citi, BOFA, Capital One (plus HP's from other bureaus), and Chase. Only discover pulled EQ and TU, maybe a hard pull with one and soft pull or score from the other.

Also recently I got shot down with multiple reconsideration calls to Citi for the prestige card due to too many Ex inquiries. In doing some research it seems like 6 inquiries in 6 months seems to be the trigger point.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:02 pm

It is not just a matter of inquiries. If you're getting cited for inquiries then there are bigger issues that you need to address with your credit profiles. Inquiries are generally a small factor but they can be cited and have a bigger impact for those with thin credit profiles and/or profiles with issues.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by jetsetter
2. If asked, what reason should you give the reconsideration agent as to why your Experian report is frozen?
3. Is the process instant to both freeze and unfreeze the Experian report?

I froze my credit reports after the Anthem breach a while back. If you feel the need to tell them why your credit is frozen, a possible answer would be to say it is because of recent credit breaches. However, I doubt they would ask you why it is frozen.

I am interested in knowing the answer to #3 as well. I had read in an article that credit freezes can be thawed in 15 minutes online. But it didn't say what credit agency or anything helpful like that. Experian does let you pick today's date when thawing a credit report. But I don't know how fast it goes live.

Edited to add: I did a Google search, and the Experian website is vague as well. It says depending on your state, your credit can be thawed in a matter of minutes. But it could take as long as 3 days.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-e...credit-report/

This article from the NC Attorney General says that credit reports are usually thawed in 15 minutes.

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/c0602cd1...ty-Freeze.aspx

Last edited by jeanie; Feb 18, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
My Experian and the other 2 thaw immediately, though for me in CA I have to call Experian and give my PIN and date to re-freeze.

Once I had it thawed while I had Amex on the other line, its very quick.

Just did it this week.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:15 pm

Freezing Credit Bureau to stop Soft pulls from Bank

I recently opened 8 cards + 1 auto loan within 6 months and my oldest card is 4 years and AAoA dropped to 1 year . I recently applied for 3 more cards and got it approved . I am doing lot of MS on 2 citi cards , 2 American express cards ( 5000$ per month on both amex and citi) and Capital one card ( around 8000 $)

I am worried about banks doing soft pull for account review. Will a freeze on CB , stops bank from viewing the report?

What other precautionary step can i take in ?

100% on time payments and made sure to do bill payment before the statement closes. Just kept 50 to 100$ balance for CB reporting on all the new cards.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
I recently opened 8 cards + 1 auto loan within 6 months and my oldest card is 4 years and AAoA dropped to 1 year . I recently applied for 3 more cards and got it approved . I am doing lot of MS on 2 citi cards , 2 American express cards ( 5000$ per month on both amex and citi) and Capital one card ( around 8000 $)

I am worried about banks doing soft pull for account review. Will a freeze on CB , stops bank from viewing the report?

What other precautionary step can i take in ?

100% on time payments and made sure to do bill payment before the statement closes. Just kept 50 to 100$ balance for CB reporting on all the new cards.
Just merged into existing thread. Check out posts above.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
Will a freeze on CB , stops bank from viewing the report?
No. Soft pulls are not affected by freezes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.