Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa Card [5% on gas, no annual fee]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of the PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa Card, described here: https://www.penfed.org/Platinum-Cash-Rewards/

Plus Version:
5% Cashback for Gas Purchases at the Pump
No cashback on other purchases
No annual fee

There is also a Standard Version:
3% Cashback for Gas Purchases at the Pump
No cashback on other purchases
$25 annual fee

To qualify for the Plus Card, you must hold one of these types of accounts:
  • Active checking account with direct deposit ($250 min.)
  • Money Market Certificate or IRA Certificate
  • Mortgage
  • Installment loan
  • Equity Loan or Equity Line of Credit
  • Thrifty Credit Service
  • Personal Line of Credit
  • Money Market Savings Accounts

Reports in this thread indicate the easiest method is to hold $25 in a Money Market Certificate.

Note: Much of the discussion at the beginning of the thread is about the introduction of a points-based card similar to this card, along with special offers to "upgrade" to that card. Additionally, there is a lengthy discussion about the introduction of the Standard vs. Plus tiering.

There are several similarly named PenFed cards. Please see the chart at the top of the
Master Thread: PenFed Family of Cards + Chip & PIN Questions to make sure you post in the correct thread!
Print Wikipost

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa Card [5% on gas, no annual fee]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
I just combined the cash reward credit line to the reward credit card. I think they meant to push people out really since I doubt anyone is using it for the .25% so at 5%, they are definitely losing money.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by flyerwanabe1
I think they meant to push people out really since I doubt anyone is using it for the .25% so at 5%, they are definitely losing money.
I bet you're right. The only time I used it for regular purchaes was on a trip to Canada and it was only because I didn't have another card at the time with no FTF's.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I got the same letter, and I had to fish it out of the trash, notice the "PLEASE SEE REVERSE FOR MORE ACCOUNT INFORMATION" notice, and turn the page over to see the reductions in the percentage rebates. Thanks for pointing it out as I otherwise would have missed it.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there another card that offers EMV and no foreign transaction fees with no annual fee?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 12:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Is there another card that offers EMV and no foreign transaction fees with no annual fee?
Several. Look at the worksheet linked in post number one of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I've heard rumors of the points card being devalued as well. Have we been able to nail down what's going on with that card? I know the points required for rewards was increased, but are they going to move to a 3/2/1 format in lieu of the 5/3/1 format the currently have?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
...are they going to move to a 3/2/1 format in lieu of the 5/3/1 format the currently have?
Seems to have been answered here:

Originally Posted by thefunch
...The 5% cash back on gas will decrease to 3% unless you have one of the aforementioned qualifying products.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by mia
He's referring to the PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express® Card.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by keirnna
Originally Posted by mia
He's referring to the PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express® Card.
This. There are two separate Penfed cards. One that gives cash back and the other that awards points. Not sure why the two threads got merged.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:16 am

Hey guys, I have an auto loan with them (will be paid off in April). I did not see a letter, but wanted to confirm if I would be affected.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I've heard rumors of the points card being devalued as well. Have we been able to nail down what's going on with that card? I know the points required for rewards was increased, but are they going to move to a 3/2/1 format in lieu of the 5/3/1 format the currently have?
Some people have confused this question with the Am Ex card.

To clarify Pen Fed has 3 cards:

Platinum Rewards American Express
Platinum Rewards Cash: the one with the 5% on gas, and .25% on everything else...straight statement credit.

3rd: The Platinum Reward card: This is the card a lot of people converted to last year. It was 5 pts for gas, 3 pts for grocery and 1 pt for everything else.

This card could then be converted to Visa Gift cards starting at $25 for 2500 points. So it was a 5%, 3% and 1% card.

Without any notice at all, Pen Fen increased the amount of points needed to get a gift card. Imagine my surprise when I went to cash out my 5000 points to get a $50 visa card. 5800 points now! I immediately made a call to Pen Fed and they told me basically they could make any changes to the point redemption value they wanted without notice.

I spoke to someone else at Pen Fed that said about 3 weeks ago they raised the points needed. So right now with the changes it is about 4% for gas, 2%for groceries and .8% for everything else.

Not very happy but I am going to hold onto card because we have had it the longest of ANY card and don't want to cancel. I asked about changing it over to the cash card and just get 5% cash for gas but they would make me run a whole new application and cancel this one. I was also told to hold onto it because they are no longer going to offer it to any new customers.

I have my checking, savings, CD and mortgage with PenFed and have been a long time customer. Really disappointed in how they handled this issue. So for now I have limited my use of this card to gas only when I can't get the 5% on my Freedom card during bonus quarters. I also go to the commissary and have found that other cards don't count it as grocery while Pen Fed does. American Express doesn't so I can't use my Blue Cash card. Gonna have to settle for 2%.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:34 pm

Looks like I will also be jumping ship as well and just using it strictly for the 5% on gas. Just trying to find a good card with no annual fee.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by thefunch
Just got a letter from PF for the PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards card -- this is the old cash-back product that was changed to 5% gas / 0.25% all other purchases a while back.

As of 10/26/13, a $25 annual fee will be assessed. The AF is waived with a qualifying product:
* Active checking account with $250 min direct deposit (though for the standard acct you need $500 daily balance or $500 monthly DD to avoid a service charge...)
* Money market certificate or IRA certificate (both have a $1k minimum opening deposit)
* Mortgage
* Installment loan
* Equity loan or equity LoC with balance

As of the November statement, the 0.25% cash back on all other purchases will be eliminated. (-.-) The 5% cash back on gas will decrease to 3% unless you have one of the aforementioned qualifying products.

Not crazy about having to park some cash in a CD, but at least they're still paying the 5% and crediting with the statement cycle.
so I assume a regular share account with $100 in it will not prevent the annual fee

devaluing of points always makes me mad. At least let us know a month or two in advance. unless they are trying to screw us...oh wait, they are
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by rust1d
Looks like I will also be jumping ship as well and just using it strictly for the 5% on gas. Just trying to find a good card with no annual fee.
sallie mae card?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 5:22 am

I actually applied for the Sallie Mae card last week in anticipation of these changes, still waiting to hear back on a decision. Hope I get approved. There might be a mass exodus to this product from now until 12/31.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.