Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Will getting my wife card on my CC signup hurt her chances later?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2011, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Hi all. I just started getting into the mileage/points game/fun. The first card I signed up for in November was the Chase Sapphire Preferred and added my wife as an additional cardholder so we ended up getting two of those Chase cards. It was convenient towards meeting the min spend with both of us having a card. I was going to add her to my apps for the AMEX SPG and Citi Thankyou Premier, but ended up not doing that because it dawned on me that it might hurt her chances in 1Q 2012 to get her own signups for these cards in order to get the signup bonuses.

So my question is...will SPG, Citi, Chase, etc see her SSN number associated with my cards if I get her additional cards now and, therefore, not allow her to signup as a new member and get the signup bonuses later?

Thanks a bunch.

-Mike
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
I'm a newbie so don't take my word for it but I think it will hurt her chances. I did research before starting "the point/mileage game" and that's what I read. We have been signing up individually and making sure the big purchases go through that card and sometimes the other cardholder has to go along for the trip to the mall to make the purchase. Kind of inconvenient but worth the extra points by getting two bonuses. But, I may be wrong.

We are spacing out our applications by a month or two so it doesn't look bad, and we can reach the spends. However, this may too conservative and missing opportunities.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Never put her name on unless you get points, let her get her own card and get the extra points.....then she can get extra points putting your name on her card...

This is about miles and points,
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:03 pm

No, it will not hurt her chances.

It is perfectly fine to add your wife as an additional card holder, and she will still be able to sign up for the card and get her own sign up bonus later.

My husband and I have done this lots of times, primarily with Amex and Citi. We don't add an additional card holder unless there is a point bonus for doing so or unless we need help meeting a minimum spend, so we have not done it with other banks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.