FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1291677-applying-business-credit-cards-consolidated.html)

jujubean71 Oct 2, 2015 3:16 pm

Guidance requested on new CC program for small business

Hello. My husband's small business is changing banks to a small, local bank and is also looking to change their CC program. They've been using PNC BusinessOptions Visa travel rewards (earn 1 pt per $1 spent, redeem for statement credit) for a few years. I told him I'd ask the FT experts for input on good CC programs to consider. They're not interested in a cash back program. Husband and business partner would like to concentrate on accruing points/miles to use toward more business/first class leisure tickets or upgrades to the Caribbean, Europe and South America.

Annual CC spend: $300k
Authorized users: 10
Frequency of air travel: quite infrequent - maybe 3 business trips/year for the top 3 employees plus similar amount of leisure trips; the top 3 employees would be reaping the CC rewards
Primary outbound airport: GRR
Airlines: mostly American, United, Delta

Your recommendations are appreciated.

mia Oct 2, 2015 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by jujubean71 (Post 25510278)
Annual CC spend: $300k
Authorized users: 10

With that number of users they certainly want a business card account, rather than trying to use a personal account, because they can easily track or limit spending by individual card, and if one card is compromised they will not need to replace all ten cards.

American Express offers the most choice, a dozen business cards which are listed here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...c_viewallcards

American Express rewards can be redeemed for travel on all three major domestic airlines:

American:
  • Starwood Preferred Guest points transfer directly to AAdvantage
  • Membership Rewards points transfer to Asia Miles, and can be redeemed through that program for travel on AA.
Delta:
  • SkyMiles credit cards
  • Membership Rewards points transfer directly to SkyMiles
  • Starwood Preferred Guess points transfer to SkyMiles
United:
  • Membership Rewards points and Starwood Preferred Guest points transfer to several Star Alliance programs, and can be redeemed though those programs for travel on UA.
There are some important consideration in choosing between earning Membership Rewards points and Starpoints:

• Membership Rewards points accumulate at American Express.
  • They transfer instantly to many airlines.
  • They can be transferred to the frequent flyer account of any cardholder on the account.

• Starpoints accumulate at Starwood Preferred Guest.
  • Transfers a slow, often a week or more.
  • They accumulate in the SPG account of the primary cardholder, and they cannot be transferred to anyone else's frequent flyer account. This means the primary account holder would need to redeem award tickets for everyone from his or her airline accounts.

Chase issues five business credit cards which are listed here:

https://www.chase.com/online/busines....htm?CELL=6TKV

Chase rewards can also be redeemed for travel on flights operated by all three major domestic airlines:

American:
  • Ultimate Rewards points can be transferred to British Airways and redeemed for travel on flights operated by American. Be aware that BA collects significant fuel surcharges on transatlantic flights operated by AA, but not on domestic USA flights.

Delta:
  • Ultimate Rewards points can be transferred to Korean Air or Virgin Atlantic and redeemed for travel on flights operated by Delta.
United:
  • MileagePlus credit card
  • Ultimate Rewards points transfer directly to United

Mr. Breakfast Oct 2, 2015 4:18 pm

Consider using more than one card. Not only for the additional signup bonus, but category bonuses. For example, the UA card gives double points for dining, Ink Plus 5x for phone, Internet, office supplies, etc.

jujubean71 Oct 2, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks. They've shyed away from AE cards since they're not accepted everywhere. I believe they want to stick with one business card for ease of accounting.

Chase Ink Business Plus might be the way to go for them. I have to look into how rewards transfer to flights on AA, DL and UA.

Appreciate the help.

mia Oct 2, 2015 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by jujubean71 (Post 25510669)
Chase Ink Business Plus might be the way to go for them. I have to look into how rewards transfer to flights on AA, DL and UA.

Ultimate Rewards is strong for UA, awkward for AA and DL.

Mr. Breakfast Oct 3, 2015 7:09 am

Don't be afraid of the accounting; it's a very minor hassle compared to the benefits. Focus on two things: what is your goal (i.e., international first class to Asia, luxe hotels, etc.), and which programs help you achieve that goal? Once you determine that, which credit cards get you there the fastest? For actual spend beyond the initial bonus, look hard at categories.

carsnoceans Oct 19, 2015 11:47 pm

Business card recommendation

Looking for a recommendation on business card... not sure what would work the best for me. I have personal cards that serve this purpose wonderfully. But now I need a separate one for my business.

Biggest expenses would be meals and travel (air, local commute, parking, etc). I have Citi TYP Premier and CSP, both. Ideally a second CSP in my business name would be great! But second card application would probably disqualify me for the sign-up bonus.

Any thoughts/ suggestions here?

flyaxa Oct 20, 2015 6:01 am

We use both Chase Ink Plus and Amex Business Gold Rewards. Maybe check benefits of both to see if there might be a fit for you. Also, it doesn't really need to be a business card, per se. You could use a personal card if the benefits of a particular one meets your needs best.

carsnoceans Oct 20, 2015 11:41 am

Would AMEX or Chase allow me to apply for another card on the business name? Without letting go of the sign-up bonus...

mia Oct 20, 2015 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans (Post 25591424)
Would AMEX or Chase allow me to apply for another card on the business name?

No. Even when you apply for a product marketed as a business card you are applying based on your personal credit and are guaranteeing the debt. If you apply for a business card your name plus the name of the company will be embossed on the card. If you choose to use a specific personal card to segregate business expenses it will show only your own name.

travlngeng Nov 20, 2015 6:18 am

I asked this on another thread (Chase Ink Business Cards if mods want to remove that post) before I found this one. Seems much more appropriate here:

I'm trying to determine if what I do is enough of a business to get a business credit card. I plan on doing more research, but I've never had a business card before and don't know what type of consequences (if any) can be brought down if Chase/AMEX/Citi/whoever decides that my "business" isn't a business. Also if having a business card would impact how I file for my taxes.

I own a house and rent a room to a friend. He pays rent for his room and reimburses me for a portion of utilities. I operate at a loss since he rents below market rate, but it's still money coming in above my salaried job. There are times every few months where I buy stuff for the house and it's "his turn" to pay for these items, so it would be really convenient if I could have these expenses separate from my personal expenses.

Would this qualify as a business? I'd like to get the InkPlus (I have the CSP and Freedom already), but am nervous since I've never really thought about what I do (renting a room to a friend) as a business.

Thanks for the help and opinions.

millervt Nov 20, 2015 7:05 am

there isn't really much if any downside to applying for a business card. I get them occasionally and my business consists of occasional ebay sales. They may want to ask you questions so just be ready to answer them.

Having a business card has zero impact on taxes or anything else really, except you qualify for more bonuses!

dorisrpas Dec 29, 2015 12:42 pm

Best small business credit card

Looking for some advice on where to look for small business credit cards that offer the most bang for our credit card usage patterns. US based company for all domestic use.

Details:
- about 8 employee cards
- most common purchases: flights (all airlines, mostly UA and SW), hotels (all brands), rental cars (mostly Hertz for now), meals while traveling, gas, office supplies
- can be cash back or miles or whatever, as long as useful to the business

Criteria:
- Not Discover
- Not AmEx (as currently looking for alternative)
- low annual fee
- not outrageous interest rate
- employee credit card limits of at least 10K

With your recommendation, would appreciate knowing your logic for the choice.

Thanks
Doris

mnscout Dec 29, 2015 1:01 pm

Chase United Business. A good sign up bonus right now and matches your other needs, including no AF for the first year. Employee limits depend on your personal credit, income, and the type and size of business you run. As to the interest rate, I don't know, anything above ZERO is outrageous to me. :)

dorisrpas Dec 29, 2015 3:20 pm

Thanks. I checked it out. But I am a little confused, all the benefits listed (the baggage, etc.,) apply to the primary card holder and traveling companions, and only apply to authorized user if traveling with primary card holder?

So, say me as the primary card holder, and employees with cards as authorized users to my account - they would have to be traveling with me in order to get the United benefits? Can't get those benefits (namely check bag, priority boarding) when traveling for business without me using that card?

And what about the car rental insurance? Is primary coverage, which is excellent, but doesn't clarify if covers employees traveling for business?

Do you happen to know if the underlying Visa is the Visa Signature?

Even the Southwest branded Chase business card, which is a Visa Signature card, extends at least the car rental insurance coverage to the authorized users on business, independent of the primary cardholder.

I can't find the detailed Guide to Benefits for the Business Explorer card anywhere ... must be a secret :)