FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1291677-applying-business-credit-cards-consolidated.html)

BOShappyflyer Aug 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 19155464)
Your assumption is wrong.

Credit card application has NOTHING to do with tax reporting.

OP, mia gives you a very good answer. Your rental property is as good as any business can get.

My assumption is not wrong. It is a valid response to the OP's question, "Is being a landlord for a second home a business?" She has a second home. It is rental income. It's not like the OP is in the business of leasing/managing a number of homes as a business.

I'm just going by the standard definition of a 'business' as an entity engaged in the trade of goods, services, or both to consumers. Would the IRS consider "rental income" as a business? No. Should the credit card issuer? Likely no, but pedantic aside, if people wants to futz with the definition of what is defined as a business for the purpose of applying for credit card, then it's fine, but let's call it what it is:

Can I apply for a business card if I don't have a business?

naseefc Aug 28, 2012 11:57 am

Valid Business

I have never applied for a business card before because I don't own a business of any kind. However, there just seems to be so many good cards that are business only (Chase Ink, Southwest). I am wondering, what are legit businesses people use to apply for business cards. I don't want to say something I don't do, but want to come with with a legit thing I do that would be considered a business.

Stoughton Aug 28, 2012 11:59 am

Originally Posted by naseefc (Post 19209773)
I have never applied for a business card before because I don't own a business of any kind. However, there just seems to be so many good cards that are business only (Chase Ink, Southwest). I am wondering, what are legit businesses people use to apply for business cards. I don't want to say something I don't do, but want to come with with a legit thing I do that would be considered a business.

Walk up to a friend, sell them something - now you have a business, in particular - sales. Annual sales are under $5k

naseefc Aug 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Does this really work though? I mean if Chase calls and asks me about my business, I tell them I have a business because I sold a concert ticket to a friend? That's really enough?

broadwayblue Aug 28, 2012 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by naseefc (Post 19209806)
Does this really work though? I mean if Chase calls and asks me about my business, I tell them I have a business because I sold a concert ticket to a friend? That's really enough?

Tell them the nature of your business and your annual sales. They'll decide whether that is sufficient.

User Name Aug 28, 2012 1:32 pm

I've found that Chase likes a bit of a chat about business activities. Luckily I have a good imagination. It's kind of fun. One day Mrs User Name and I might actually start up the kinds of businesses that Chase thinks we have! :)

jeanie Aug 29, 2012 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by User Name (Post 19210404)
I've found that Chase likes a bit of a chat about business activities. Luckily I have a good imagination. It's kind of fun. One day Mrs User Name and I might actually start up the kinds of businesses that Chase thinks we have! :)

Thanks for sharing that! It's good to know. With that info, I just got approved after calling reconsideration for a Marriott Business card based in large part because of my optimism for future income in a side business (and wanting to separate business expenses from personal expenses of course!)

I have a full time job already and a strong credit history. So he probably used that existing income to approve the business card.

webazoid Sep 8, 2012 11:37 pm

is it true that applying for/getting business card doesn't affect credit utilization?

I've heard that business card doesn't affect your credit utilization ratio since other companies can't see on your credit report that you have a business card. Is that true?

i.e. I just applied for citi aa business 50k promotion this weekend. didn't get an instant approproval. i guess they'll contact me next week. would chase be able to see that i just got a citi aa business card if i get approval?

Daniel on the way Sep 9, 2012 4:03 am

From my experience, it is right. I have big spending on my ink bold card. But all three agencies never show any inofrmation about business card. Since it is business card, it is reasonable to asume the spending is not personal.

Schutzee Sep 9, 2012 10:32 am

My Capital One Sparks business credit account does appear on my personal Equifax report. Under type of account it has "Business Credit Card (individual has primary responsiblity).

My Chase, Citi and Amex business cards do not appear.

1Newflyer Sep 9, 2012 5:20 pm

Business vs Corporate, there is a difference. Business counts, Corporate does not.

suspire Sep 9, 2012 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer (Post 19284107)
Business vs Corporate, there is a difference. Business counts, Corporate does not.

Err. As far as I can tell, neither my Amex nor Chase Business cards show up on any of my credit reports or appear to effect my credit rating.

1Newflyer Sep 9, 2012 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by suspire (Post 19284376)
Err. As far as I can tell, neither my Amex nor Chase Business cards show up on any of my credit reports or appear to effect my credit rating.

My does but it's a Canadian Amex.

DC777Fan Sep 9, 2012 10:03 pm

Another data point for Chase and AX business cards not being on my personal CR. I've heard Barclay's US biz card DOES report to personal CRs. It DOES reflect in the bank's internal system as a card with them, so it will affect their decisions in granting you new credit (i.e. the Chase analysts will see your Ink card if you apply for the personal Hyatt).

webazoid Sep 9, 2012 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan (Post 19285427)
Another data point for Chase and AX business cards not being on my personal CR. I've heard Barclay's US biz card DOES report to personal CRs. It DOES reflect in the bank's internal system as a card with them, so it will affect their decisions in granting you new credit (i.e. the Chase analysts will see your Ink card if you apply for the personal Hyatt).

yah, chase can see my swa biz card even though it's not listed anywhere on my credit report.