FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1291677-applying-business-credit-cards-consolidated.html)

dgwright99 Sep 8, 2013 9:07 am

I've never had a problem with any bank.
I now own rentals with 6-figure rental income, but previously my only "business" was a few hours of consulting here and there which was totally invisible to anybody other than the IRS (and maybe the NSA :mad: )
Back then I churned through Chase, BofA and Citi biz cards - though I've always minimized human interaction - none of those ever asked for annual revenue.
I stayed clear of Amex until I had significant business revenue, as they do ask, and I'm not willing to tell outright lies.

When asked why I cancelled, I'd just say "not consulting at the moment, so no need for the card" - totally honest. Had I ever needed to call when applying, I would have said I "had the opportunity" to do some consulting, and wanted to keep expenses separate.

waylook Dec 26, 2013 12:39 am

My wife and I both have our own businesses and we are both involved in the management of each others businesses. Would we both be able to open the business card for each business and also receive the sign up bonus on both? For example, my getting an Ink Bold cards for both companies.

Thanks for any advice.

maddie5218 Jan 6, 2014 9:53 pm

Business Cards?

I'm fairly new to the whole points/miles game, and I'm curious about a few things with business credit cards...

I've seen a few posts about people getting their accounts closed and losing lots of points because of that and it seems that it might be because they were using their business cards for "non-business" expenses, whether they have an actual business or not. Is this a thing that tends to happen a lot? Are there only certain banks where this seems to happen?

Also, I applied for the US Airways business card and got denied because they said my "business" hadn't been open long enough and that was the sole inquiry into me that they looked at. They didn't pull my credit score, thankfully, or anything of the sort. What tips do you guys have for getting approved for business cards, besides, of course, having a good credit score for when they even pull your report?

Thanks for all the help!

Tylt33 Jan 25, 2014 12:24 pm

Unique Chase Business question?

Hi,

I work for a public school, as a vice principal. I frequently have expenditures such as: cell phone, conferences, rewards for attendance/etc, small business items (pens, papers, etc.) that aren't purchased through district issued Purchase Orders. My questions are:

1. Can I apply for a business card as a state government employee? If so, what should I put the business income as? District funding? Individual school funding from ADA? Personal income from wages? Would I put my SSN or the district's tax id number?

2. I also have a small time personal endeavor of buying and selling art to the tune of $15k income/expenditures per year. Would I be better off pursuing a business card for that?

I couldn't find any reference to these issues on this forum or anywhere on google. Insight and advice would be greatly appreciated! Mods, feel free to move this if it isn't in the right area. Thanks!

rymetymeuk Jan 25, 2014 3:37 pm

Hey

Do you get reimbursed for your business related expenses? If so, go get the card in your own name.
I don't see how you would be able to open a credit card account in another businesses name tbh. That sounds fraudy, and i'd stay well clear even though you have an innocent motive.

wifey99999999 Mar 28, 2014 8:28 pm

How do you apply for a business credit card without a business?

I believe you have to provide tax ID number when you apply for a business card....

healthnut Mar 28, 2014 8:39 pm

Sole proprietors do not have a tax ID number, they/we use SSN.

wifey99999999 Mar 28, 2014 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut (Post 22607948)
Sole proprietors do not have a tax ID number, they/we use SSN.

Are they going to check if you really have a business if you provide them SSN? Is the exeprience just like applying for a personal credit card?

healthnut Mar 28, 2014 8:49 pm

Are you trolling?

wifey99999999 Mar 28, 2014 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut (Post 22607982)
Are you trolling?

No. Just a question...

healthnut Mar 28, 2014 9:09 pm

It depends on the card. I suggest getting to know this forum a little better by reading the threads of cards you are interested in.

Some banks will look for proof of an actual business; some will not. Most people discuss these in their relative threads due to the variation between cards/banks.

mnscout Mar 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by wifey99999999 (Post 22607970)
Are they going to check if you really have a business if you provide them SSN? Is the exeprience just like applying for a personal credit card?

You might need to be ready to explain the nature of your business if the issuer asks this question. A "business" doesn't mean a profitable venture, especially when you're just starting out.

worldtraveller73 Mar 28, 2014 10:34 pm

Buying and reselling stuff online can be considered a business in the simplest terms.

In my case, "rental property management" was enough for a business credit card and additional sign up fee. No further checks were conducted by AMEX (Canada).

And yes- I actually do manage a rental property :)

1DJonas Mar 28, 2014 11:05 pm

I have business cards with Bank of America, Citi, American Express, Chase, and US Bank. I do really buy and sell inventory , but Chase and Bank of America are the only ones that asked questions about what I buy and expected revenue. The others were processed normally without any additional information from me.

Doctor of Credit Mar 29, 2014 4:56 am

Card issuers are cracking down on it, but if you're a sole prop you can just input your SSN. Be warned, you'll be automatically denied and need to call reconsideration.