Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 credit card must haves

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Question 4 credit card must haves

I'm about to delve into the world of credit card churning with the goal of getting airline miles.

What would you say are the first 4 credit cards that I NEED to get? Are there any that give a hefty signup bonus?

Is 4 cards too few to make a dent into earning miles. I'll do more if you think I need to.

Bear in mind that I put about $30k year on credit cards so I'm not going very far just on miles earned from purchases.

Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:47 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by iowa guy
...Are there any that give a hefty signup bonus?
Begin by reviewing this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...er-thread.html
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:06 pm

I'm about to delve into the world of credit card churning with the goal of getting airline miles.

Thanks.
I don't want to sound condescending but if you have not already done so a good place to start is your credit report. You need to protect your credit score if you are trying to churn.

Stick around here and you can find some good offers. The thread mentioned above is the best place to find the cards with the biggest signup bonuses.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
With the rest of the world fastly moving to phase out the mag-stripe, my first concern would be would your US issued cards even work when you decide to cash in on your rewards miles and start traveling outside of the US.

In that light, the presence of an EMV chip would be one of the top of my list when choosing a credit card these days. What's good is a credit card if you're stuck at a gas station in Italy because their pump machine doesn't accept the old magnetic stripe anymore?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:32 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Originally Posted by kebosabi
... first concern ...
It's something to consider, but surely not the first concern during the mileage accumulation phase.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure what importance or value a credit score has when churning but I just checked with a site called credit karma (I'm not endorsing the site, I may have just been scammed for all I know). I was at 805. I'd think it would be more important for the credit card issuer to know my credit score before approving or denying me than it is for me to know it.

Is this the wrong approach for churing?: apply for high bonus cards then fulfill their requirement to get the bonus miles, then cancel the card. Sounds more simple than it probably is though.

EDIT: I wonder if I should click on the Chase Sapphire Preferred ad for the 50k bonus miles :-)

Last edited by iowa guy; Dec 6, 2011 at 1:27 pm
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:28 pm
mia

I'm not sure what importance or value a credit score has when churning
The importance is understanding the negative effect which churning can have on your credit score if not done carefully. I suggest you begin by reading this:

http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducatio...YourScore.aspx

Each application generates one or more credit inquiry. Opening new accounts will lower the average age of your accounts, but may also increase your reported available credit and potentially improve your credit utilization ratio, but this can be undone if you close the accounts too soon. Etc
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:30 pm

I'm not sure what importance or value a credit score has when churning but I just checked with a site called credit karma (I'm not endorsing the site, I may have just been scammed for all I know). I was at 805. I'd think it would be more important for the credit card issuer to know my credit score before approving or denying me than it is for me to know it.

Is this the wrong approach for churing?: apply for high bonus cards then fulfill their requirement to get the bonus miles, then cancel the card. Sounds more simple than it probably is though.

EDIT: I wonder if I should click on the Chase Sapphire Preferred ad for the 50k bonus miles :-)
from what I've read on here, in many respects you're better off not canceling the card every time. It lowers your 'available credit' and shortens the credit history (sort of). Better idea to call at 11 months (if you're worried about annual fee) and ask the redemption people what they'll give you to stay. Many have reported a $100 credit, 10k miles, or similar, making it worth it to keep the card open. Just make sure you're paying the bill every month!

exception would be if you have too many cards from the same issuer, limiting future options.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:51 pm
Original Member

What would you say are the first 4 credit cards that I NEED to get? Are there any that give a hefty signup bonus?

Is 4 cards too few to make a dent into earning miles. I'll do more if you think I need to.

Bear in mind that I put about $30k year on credit cards so I'm not going very far just on miles earned from purchases.

Thanks.
I suggest you take an hour or so to read all of the pages in the Credit Cards section of my website below. Then you will be informed about all of the good options. My favorites:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred card (On my Bank and Other Travel Cards page)
  • INK Bold business card (same page, for more Ultimate Rewards points)
  • All three of the American Airlines 50,000 mile offers (On my Annual Fee Cards page)
  • The Starwood American Express card (On my Free Cards page)
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info, I'm reading up. When it gets right down to it, I don't care what happens to my credit score. I just want to get miles until the credit cards companies no longer approve my applications.

Regarding the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, is this as good as time as any to apply for it or do they run even better deals than they offer at present?

If I should wait for a better sign up deal, I will. Thanks.

Last edited by mia; Dec 10, 2011 at 2:33 pm Reason: Combine two consecutive posts
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:05 pm
Original Member

Regarding the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, is this as good as time as any to apply for it or do they run even better deals than they offer at present?

If I should wait for a better sign up deal, I will. Thanks.
I have never seen a better deal for this card.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:23 pm

also, be careful about canceling your cards too soon: you don't want to risk having the miles "clawed back".
Old Dec 10, 2011, 2:42 pm
mia

There was a targeted 100,000 point offer for Sapphire Preferred in June 2011. There is, of course, no way to foresee if Chase will run this offer again or if you would happen to be targeted. My sense is that the market share battle between American Express and Chase has moved on from signup bonuses to benefits and reward tweaks. Both banks need to focus on retaining the accounts they attracted.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

That's enough reason for me...I'll apply for Sapphire.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

When I started my Chase Sapphire application it said: SHORTCUT FOR CHASE CUSTOMERS

Do you think it will help or hinder me if I click that? I am a Chase Customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.