Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:58 pm

I spoke to a J.P.Morgan/Chase representative, who confirmed that this card is not a chip and pin, but rather a chip and signature card; she definitely seemed to know the difference.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jdowney3
I spoke to a J.P.Morgan/Chase representative, who confirmed that this card is not a chip and pin, but rather a chip and signature card; she definitely seemed to know the difference.
Thanks for the confirmation. PIN or Signature, it's still a far better improvement than a year ago when we we're discussing that EMV deployment in the US will happen "when pigs starts flying." Looks like all we needed was an announcement by one major bank (Wells Fargo) to kick the banks into competition again.

OTOH, it seems like the direction the US is taking is Chip-and-Signature instead of PIN. Better than nothing as some countries that use EMV use Chip-and-Signature as well. Of course, that doesn't leave out the possibility of the PIN feature become active later. At least the EMV chip is making its way to our cards making the PIN option to be "turned on" if the financial institution decides to do so in the future.

So we now have two really good rewards earning chipped cards to choose from that's open to anyone:

US Bank FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa Signature Card
Low $49 annual fee
Retains the mag-stripe, has contactless VISA Paywave and EMV Chip-and-Signature ^
But adds 3% foreign transaction fee

vs

JP Morgan Select VISA Signature Card
Reasonable $95 annual fee
Retains the mag-stripe and has EMV Chip-and-Signature, but has no contactless feature
No foreign transaction fee ^

YMMV whether the $46 annual fee difference between the two cards is worth it for the pros and cons of each card. In order to break even on the $46 annual fee difference, one needs to charge more than $1,534 outside of the US for the no forex fee JP Morgan Card. If not, then the US Bank FlexPerks would suffice.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jun 17, 2011 at 3:02 pm
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:26 pm

I'm still not clear on whether the US Bank and JPM cards will work at unattended kiosks. Is there a better answer than "maybe"?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by richarddd
I'm still not clear on whether the US Bank and JPM cards will work at unattended kiosks. Is there a better answer than "maybe"?
We'll just have to wait and see until a FTer who gets a Chip-and-Signature card to insert it at a train station kiosk in Europe and upload it onto Youtube to see what happens.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi
US Bank FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa Signature Card
Low $49 annual fee
Retains the mag-stripe, has contactless VISA Paywave and EMV Chip-and-Signature ^
But adds 3% foreign transaction fee
Is this the card: http://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/f...ks-travel.html?

It has the same title and description, but it doesn't seem to have a chip.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Is this the card: http://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/f...ks-travel.html?

It has the same title and description, but it doesn't seem to have a chip.
The image on businesswire suggest that it is: http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...60&newsLang=en
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi
The image on businesswire suggest that it is: http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...60&newsLang=en
Obviously a different picture than the one on their web site.

Either they haven't updated the picture and description on their web site or they haven't rolled out the new features yet.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...haven't updated the picture and description on their web site or they haven't rolled out the new features yet.
Scroll back to post 83 to read the original announcement from US Bank which mentioned issuing 20,000 EMV cards to existing accounts. I would not assume that new applicants would receive an EMV card automatically.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Despite what it says in the big print if you click the [Apply] link it appears anyone can apply.
Not sure if they verify the information before you're accepted or not but read the first 4 lines of the application.

Before completing the application, you should be able to answer "Yes" to the following statements by checking the boxes:

Yes, my credit history is clear of bankruptcy.
Yes, my credit history is clear of seriously delinquent accounts.
Yes, I have NOT been denied credit by Chase within the last 6 months.
Yes, I am a current client of JPMorgan.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: SK Diamond
Originally Posted by jpark1982
Not sure if they verify the information before you're accepted or not but read the first 4 lines of the application.

Before completing the application, you should be able to answer "Yes" to the following statements by checking the boxes:

Yes, my credit history is clear of bankruptcy.
Yes, my credit history is clear of seriously delinquent accounts.
Yes, I have NOT been denied credit by Chase within the last 6 months.
I called in and asked specifically if you need to have an account with JPMorgan and I was told no, the card is available to the general public.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:10 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Before they updated the web site last Friday, it did specify that the card was exclusively for JPM clients, but those references have since been removed. It looks like they just never updated the application.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: QR Plat, NZ*E, LT AA Plat, LT Bonvoy Plat + countless others
Originally Posted by dw
Before they updated the web site last Friday, it did specify that the card was exclusively for JPM clients, but those references have since been removed. It looks like they just never updated the application.

yes, the t&c's in the disclosure have changed as well, to more closely match the sapphire. when this was a jpm card, the apr was 10.24%, but now 13.24%. this card doesn't have the 7% annual dividend that the sapphire does, but used to have a 25k bonus after spending 100k annually (no mention of that anymore, so not clear if it still exists). it also has no nuisance fees (late/return payment, return check). most other card benefits seem comparable.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: UA G
Woohoo, ^ for competition. for Chase wanting an annual fee for a chipped card; let's see who will offer one with no annual fee and hopefully no forex fee.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jpark1982
Thank you, I had overlooked that part of the application, but I would answer yes because I have a credit card issued by Chase and therefore consider myself to be a client of JP Morgan Chase & Co.

However, I am not yet persuaded that having a Chase Chip & Signature card is materially better than having a swipe card.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:48 am

I have to think Amex will introduce a chip in the platinum and cent cards very soon. They already do in the UK, so it can't be that hard to replicate in the states.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.