Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Which Credit Card(s) Have the Best Purchase Protection/Warranty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Credit Card(s) Have the Best Purchase Protection/Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer
Originally Posted by leftpinky
Amex platinum is the best for warranty
In what way is better than say the SPG AmEx for warranty issues?
Or the Amex Blue I've been using? $450 annual fee is a lot to pay vs. my no AF card.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LoneTree
Or the Amex Blue I've been using? $450 annual fee is a lot to pay vs. my no AF card.
FWIW, I checked and on the return protection, the AmEx Platinum has the same low $300 limit as the SPG AmEx.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Just to share my data points on damage protection Amex vs. Chase...

I've had to file claims with Amex a couple of times for damaged items, and they've always tackled the claims quickly, courteously, and in my favor.

The one claim I filed with Chase was for a $24 cheapo lamp which I knocked over the day I bought it (d'oh!). I filed the massive amount of paperwork they demanded, making sure to provide every piece of documentation they requested.

Three weeks later, I got a call from them saying, "Er, you didn't send us a photo of the broken lamp." I replied that they hadn't asked for it, and I didn't have such a photo. Claim denied.

While I can understand that they have a right to request such evidence, it was just downright lame that they didn't ask for it up front, and similarly lame that they made me jump through such detailed hoops for $24. Had I filed such a claim with Amex, it'd have taken half the time, and they'd have likely credited my account for the $24 in a week.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:39 am

I started a spreadsheet that compares benefits like these coverages and their maximums, which is shared here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...readsheet.html

The second sheet shows the best information I could track down from my own benefits details papers or what's online. Only a handful of cards on here, I'd love to get help adding more.

Amex has the longest maximum coverage, at least on their charge cards (5 years). Interestingly the USAA branded Amex has the highest individual claim limit I've seen ($15,0000) and I swear the wording used to say it doubled a warranty up to 24 months (for a total 4 years), but the fine print now seems to limit it to 3 years. They do still have the longest purchase protection duration, a full 150 days, which is 2 months longer than anyone else I've seen.

The real benefit though is how it's handled. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that benefits directly with Amex are the most hassle-free. In contrast, I made a claim for a damaged Nexus 4 last year through the USAA Amex, and interestingly it was being serviced through MasterCard. They required:

1) Photo evidence
2) Purchase receipt, AND
3) Statement showing the charge
4) Repair estimate (which was a huge hassle to get without sending the phone in)

In they end, they mailed a check for the repair estimate amount. Yes it went through, and it's not even unreasonable per se that they want you to provide correct evidence, but...

Last edited by SpunkyGD; Apr 9, 2014 at 6:42 am Reason: Correction
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:24 am

What card has the best purchase protection?

My dead phone extended warranty service with Amex was a bit like that too. They wanted a written statement from a repair center that the phone couldn't be repaired. Of course try to find a place that will look at a non iPhone let alone a two year old phone that won't turn on.

In the end I somehow got Verizon to talk to them and convince them the phone was dead. I later received a call from the VZW manager chewing me out for having an employee do that.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by SpunkyGD
I started a spreadsheet that compares benefits like these coverages and their maximums, which is shared here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...readsheet.html

The second sheet shows the best information I could track down from my own benefits details papers or what's online. Only a handful of cards on here, I'd love to get help adding more.
Thanks for sharing those comparison.

Interesting that a CSP has $500/item return protection limit, which is higher than the Amex Platinum. Where can you find these Chase limits online?

Is there a card that has an even higher limit? I still find $500 somewhat measly.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:12 am

Since I'm not a cardholder for all of these, I've had to cobble together information in some cases. Just re-found a digital copy of a CSP benefits guide: https://7bf3245da7fcca65a89d-0e351a9...C10308_Eng.pdf

$500 is the highest I've come across. It looks like it's perhaps a Visa Signature standard since it's shared with the United Presidential Plus.

Interesting that their purchase protection is also only $500, albeit with a longer coverage timeframe.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:28 am

The American Express for sure. I dropped my Nexus 5 and the screen shattered. Without even needing a picture, they refunded me the money for a replacement. No paperwork at all. Just filed a claim on the website, and got the money 4 days later.

Also, it appears any AmEx card has the same coverage:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion/faq.html#3
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
AMEX by far.

I've tried VISA Signature programs and it was a nightmare to deal with.

For AMEX it's pretty much just file a claim and send in receipt and DONE!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Xylem
The American Express for sure. I dropped my Nexus 5 and the screen shattered. Without even needing a picture, they refunded me the money for a replacement. No paperwork at all. Just filed a claim on the website, and got the money 4 days later.

Also, it appears any AmEx card has the same coverage:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion/faq.html#3
Money for replacement or screen repair?

I ask because I'm in the same situation and about to file a claim.
Old May 5, 2014, 2:39 pm

Credit Card with the Best Return Protection

I know American Express has return protection up to $300 per item. Are there any cards that have more than that?
Old May 7, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Welcome to FlyerTalk! Since your post is specific to credit cards, I've moved it to the Credit Card Programs forum to gain the attention of FlyerTalkers knowledgable of the subject. For future reference, you can find this forum listed under Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs in the Miles&Points forum category (see the FlyerTalk Forum Index).

Note to readers/mods: This thread originated at the flame-free Information Deskplease reply accordingly.

Thanks to all who offer assistance, and good luck to the OP!

~Moderator, Information Desk

Old May 7, 2014, 10:41 am

Amex is tremendous. I would stick with them.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:50 am

Best "protection" benefit from credit cards?

What are some of the best protection (say, price protection, price warranty extension, return extension, etc) I can get for using a credit card? What card would that be?

for example, Amex doubles warranty on electronics.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:33 am
Original Member

Well, I am a huge fan of the AMEX extended warranty program. I have had great experience with them, no hassles, and it has been incredibly valuable to me. Doubles the warranty to a maximum extension of one year. I.e., 90 day warranty gets another 90 days. 3 year warranty gets one additional year.

One year, a few back, I made $2000 of warranty claims, all of which were paid. Two items were repaired - fried graphics card and screen on a laptop, and broken ice-maker on my fridge, and the others were simply paid for replacement. That pays for many many years of annual fees on the SPG Amex!

I would never buy some low useful life item like an inkjet printer without putting it on the Amex. Over the years, I think 2 or 3 inkjets (ours or the kids') have failed within the extended warranty period. They will just give a credit for what you paid for it.

And it includes 90 day breakage replacement -- which one of my firm partners just used to replace the screen on his new iPhone 6s when he broke it about a week after getting it.

Like I said, other than the miles and points, it's by far the most important credit card benefit to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.