Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Which Credit Card(s) Have the Best Purchase Protection/Warranty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Credit Card(s) Have the Best Purchase Protection/Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:54 pm

I'd be very surprised if it did. I'm fairly sure that the insurance/baggage coverage only kicks in when you purchase the ticket with the CC. Looking at the Visa site, it seems that you get "Travel and Emergency Assistance Services" just for being a cardholder, but the other stuff all states "When You pay for the entire cost of Common Carrier tickets with your eligible Visa Signature card". So...yeah. Sorry!
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:48 pm
In memoriam

Maybe not, with miles you are, in one sense, getting a big discount on the ticket price and just paying a few fees and taxes.

But, those fees and taxes are, arguably, the entire price of the ticket.

If this is an issue for you, IMHO, Amex is by far the most generous when it comes to coverage of mishaps.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
In MY Opinion I think you are covered cause their was still a cost for the ticket. You still technically paid for a ticket and used that card for the ticket.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Any additional data on this issue (who has the better extended warranty)? I am looking to buy a tablet using either Chase Visa Signature or Amex Zync card.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:44 pm

AMEX cards ( issued by AMEX itself ) in general have the most consumer friendly claim process.

You can file a claim online with AMEX.

Also As AMEX themselves has access to your statements, they often already have all the info they need after you tell them when and where you purchase it from.

On the other hand, Visa / MC often require you to call-in to file a claim, and then mail-in / fax-in the original receipt, the statement, and other paperworks.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
JP Morgan Chase Palladium Card
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: Centurion
Credit Card Purchase protection?

does anyone know if it covers cell phones?

ie. visa platinum, and amex?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Are you talking about price protection? Damage protection? Extended warranty?

In any event, there's no substitute for reading the coverage description contained in the brochure supplied by your particular card issuer.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
What card has the best purchase protection?

I'm considering buying the Samsung Galaxy S5 for about $660+tax. What card offers the best purchase protection (damage, theft, loss, extended warranty)?

I'm particularly wondering whether one of the following two cards would be better:

SPG AmEx
or
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer
I'm considering buying the Samsung Galaxy S5 for about $660+tax. What card offers the best purchase protection (damage, theft, loss, extended warranty)?

I'm particularly wondering whether one of the following two cards would be better:

SPG AmEx
or
Chase Sapphire Preferred
I'd go with Amex. I've used their extended warranty, they credited me full retail price for an 20 month old phone. I wasn't even using it anymore but was about to eBay and it wouldn't turn on.

I'm about to try their accident protection on a new phone. A guy at a cafe set his bag down next to my table and accidental knocked my phone down, shattering the screen.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by LoneTree
I'd go with Amex. I've used their extended warranty, they credited me full retail price for an 20 month old phone. I wasn't even using it anymore but was about to eBay and it wouldn't turn on.

I'm about to try their accident protection on a new phone. A guy at a cafe set his bag down next to my table and accidental knocked my phone down, shattering the screen.
OK, thanks for sharing.

Do I assume correctly that both extend the warranty by 1 year assuming it comes with a warranty of at least 1 year?

Is their a per item or per year maximum for either of those cards?

What is the return protection of either of those cards?

What about damage or loss during the initial 60 or 90 days?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer

OK, thanks for sharing.

Do I assume correctly that both extend the warranty by 1 year assuming it comes with a warranty of at least 1 year?

Is their a per item or per year maximum for either of those cards?

What is the return protection of either of those cards?

What about damage or loss during the initial 60 or 90 days?
Amex is double warranty up to an extra year. Accident/theft/loss prevention is 90 days.

There are maximums, which I don't know off the top of my head, but a quick Google will pull it up. My extended warranty protection credited me $650 for the phone.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:40 am

Amex is double warranty up to an extra year. Accident/theft/loss prevention is 90 days.

There are maximums, which I don't know off the top of my head, but a quick Google will pull it up. My extended warranty protection credited me $650 for the phone.
Yeah, it looks like both the SPG AmEx and the CSP have limits of $300 for return protection. Any cards out there with higher limits for return protection?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:13 am

Amex platinum is the best for warranty
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by leftpinky
Amex platinum is the best for warranty
In what way is better than say the SPG AmEx for warranty issues?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.