Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Should USA card issuers adopt EMV (Chip & PIN)? [Opinion discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should USA card issuers adopt EMV (Chip & PIN)? [Opinion discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
CitiAAdvantage cards being replaced with EMV version

Had a little surprise in the mail today; my CitiAAdvantage card was upgraded to one with the EMV chip on it.

My card is NOT the CitiAAdvantage Executive card, it's the REGULAR CitiAAdvantage World Elite Mastercard.

When I first saw the mail, I groaned "ugh, not another replacement card." However, upon opening it had a flyer in it regarding "chip-based" technology. When I peeled off the sticker, the new card had a chip on it! ^
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:11 pm

,,.but of course, you still get nailed for the unethical 3% foreign transaction fee and get no perks at all from the card when flying on AA....can't have it all I guess.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
,,.but of course, you still get nailed for the unethical 3% foreign transaction fee and get no perks at all from the card when flying on AA....can't have it all I guess.
True, but at least I don't have to pay an arm and a leg in annual fees for it. That was one thing that was keeping me from getting the Executive card so it was a nice surprise.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:02 pm
ss

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Had a little surprise in the mail today; my CitiAAdvantage card was upgraded to one with the EMV chip on it.
Maybe they just wanted to shut you up.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by kebosabi
http://www.americanwaymag.com/citi-c...ard-technology

Looks like Citi is trying other technology too, according the above article.

(Article discusses a "2G" credit card, which has a reprogrammable magstripe and claims security featues that will prevent skimming, perhaps better than chip and pin)

The neat things about standards, is there are so many to choose from
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:43 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by cbn42
How has the situation changed in the last two years? Do stores use the chips to read credit cards more often?
Yes, as EFTPOS/credit card terminals are replaced with EMV capable, the switch to using EMV occurs since the terminal will prompt the merchant to use the chip rather than mag stripe.

Confused a few merchants for a while, but now most understand it.
Originally Posted by cbn42
Interesting... sounds a lot like many Asian countries, even today.
Out of curiosity, how did people do things like pay rent before internet banking came aabout?
Telephone banking or a manual process in-person (or via post) in the bank to set up an automatic payment recurring on a date.

I read something 5-6 years ago in New Zealand that the majority of first year students in a university finance course had no idea about how cheques worked. Majority of my late-20s friends in NZ don't have chequebooks and never have.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Do you think the move to EMV will prompt US card issuers to provider readers for use @ home for online purchases? Multi-factor authentication for credit card purchases should be more secure.

Is it common for non-US card issuers to issue readers?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Do you think the move to EMV will prompt US card issuers to provider readers for use @ home for online purchases?
Guessing "no"

Mastercard and Visa are rolling different technology to deal with online transaction securiity:
Mastercard SecureCode which is their implementation of Verified by Visa
Citi has their '2G' card, which an article in AmericanWay last month reported the possibility of a one-time CVV code feature.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...readers for use @ home for online purchases?
I hope not, because I like to work from a list of card numbers rather than carry all the physical cards which I might use to make an online purchase.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Here's an interesting read on VISA's stance on EMV in the US.

http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/inte...wID=1354&opg=1
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by reft
Mastercard and Visa are rolling different technology to deal with online transaction securiity:
I can count on one finger the number of times I've made a purchase online that requred either one of these technologies. I see the logos all over the place, but only one site asked for some additional data (IIRC, I had to register at a website, and then had to provide some additional validation code related to that site when checking out). I don't get the impression that they're trying hard to push this.

Citi has their '2G' card, which an article in AmericanWay last month reported the possibility of a one-time CVV code feature.
Interesting. I thought they'd abandoned this? I used to have a few citi cards that offered this option. I thought it was handy, and would give them a better way to trace the source of cc db breaches.

Originally Posted by mia
I hope not, because I like to work from a list of card numbers rather than carry all the physical cards which I might use to make an online purchase.
I'd assume they'd do it as an "opt-in" thing (at least at first).
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:18 am

Do you think the move to EMV will prompt US card issuers to provider readers for use @ home for online purchases? Multi-factor authentication for credit card purchases should be more secure.

Is it common for non-US card issuers to issue readers?
It is popular in Taiwan. Not for using Credit Cards however.
It is used for ATM cards.

Instead of registering for a set of Login ID and Password to use Online Banking,
people in Taiwan visit the bank's webATM page, insert their Chip ATM card into the card reader, enter the PIN for the ATM card ( the same PIN as they would be using in an ATM on the street ) and perform an Interbank transfer to the business to complete a transaction.

Intel is pushing to integrate NFC to their platform. It would be great if Internet transactions can be paid with a tap using a PayWave / PayPass / Express Pay card without entering a whole string of billing info ( Address , Card number, Expiration, CVV2 etc etc )
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Ragnarok
Intel is pushing to integrate NFC to their platform. It would be great if Internet transactions can be paid with a tap using a PayWave / PayPass / Express Pay card without entering a whole string of billing info ( Address , Card number, Expiration, CVV2 etc etc )
PayWave/PayPass never seemed to take off in the US for some reason. Don't know what could be easier than waving your credit card in front of the machine. Hopefully NFC adoption will be more widespread.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

PayWave/PayPass never seemed to take off in the US for some reason. Don't know what could be easier than waving your credit card in front of the machine. Hopefully NFC adoption will be more widespread.
Maybe because not many banks issue them with the contactless chip inside the card? Many opt to issue them with keychain fobs or stickers that you put onto your cell phone.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:19 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

It may be easy, but it's not needed. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Why would merchants spend even a small amount of money on a reader that can read a contactless card, when swiping a magnetic strip literally takes 2-3 seconds?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.