Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Authorized Users / Additional Cardholders / Joint Accounts / AU [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This is a recently created consolidated thread, to combine knowledge and insight regarding Authorized User accounts in one place.

We are looking for a volunteer(s) to summarize the valuable information in this thread.

If you are such a volunteer, edit this WikiPost with what you've learned.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPGold, DL Gold Medallion, Avis Presidential, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I'm wondering if there's any way of signing up for any of the Citi Aadvantage cards as a joint credit card account.

I'm not talking about a single account with an extra card with a child or spouse's name on it, but a true joint account where both applicants' credit history gets taken into account.

Anyone have any experience with this? If I can't do it with a Citi card, any advice on which cards do offer this option?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:51 pm
In memoriam

This would appear to be pointless. Why not have each person apply for their own account and get bonus miles on each?

Perhaps if OP would tell us why this something they are considering ...?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPGold, DL Gold Medallion, Avis Presidential, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
This would appear to be pointless. Why not have each person apply for their own account and get bonus miles on each?

Perhaps if OP would tell us why this something they are considering ...?
One spouse has excellent credit. Other spouse is trying to repair credit (some old dings on the credit report still hanging around). A joint credit card can help make that happen.

There are plenty of joint credit cards out there that will accomplish this. Just figured that we might as well get some miles earnings out of the deal.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Actually, being a secondary on a card, not a true joint, but authorised user, will often also help repair one's credit score.

I think US Bank offers joint ownership, but they might have moved away from it since it caused a lot of systems issues. It was more common with bank's that issued a lot of cards in Wisconsin due to WI very strong community property laws
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Redhead
Actually, being a secondary on a card, not a true joint, but authorised user, will often also help repair one's credit score.
Actually, it's tough getting a straight answer on this. For awhile, "credit repair" companies were taking advantage of the system and basically selling people good credit by charging them to become an authorized user on the account of someone with good credit.

FICO responded by saying that they'd stop considering "authorized user" accounts. But then they backtracked... maybe. So it's all very confusing. My understanding is that the only way to really do it is with a "joint" account, as opposed to adding an "authorized user."
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Credit Unions are good at offering joint credit cards, the major issuers (Citi, Chase, BofA) not so much.

The aforementioned US Bank does offer joint (my former NWA Visa is a joint account). The current application page for their FlexPerks visa offers a joint option.

As to repairing credit, if one half of the equation has bad credit, a joint application can actually hurt. The weaker applicant can drag the whole application below the approval line. Better for the stronger party to sign up as a single and add the person with less than stellar credit as an authorized user.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skofarrell
As to repairing credit, if one half of the equation has bad credit, a joint application can actually hurt. The weaker applicant can drag the whole application below the approval line. Better for the stronger party to sign up as a single and add the person with less than stellar credit as an authorized user.
The weaker applicant isn't that bad. Hovering around low 600s. No bankruptcy or anything like that. The stronger applicant is well into the 700s. Don't they average the scores?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarkinJ
The weaker applicant isn't that bad. Hovering around low 600s. No bankruptcy or anything like that. The stronger applicant is well into the 700s. Don't they average the scores?
May I suggest the one needs to repair his/her credit, open a Secured Credit Card and build up the score over time? One needed element to build up a person's credit score / history, is thru TIME - over time you demonstrate you are a financial responsible person that is credit worthy. The tried and true method is to have a credit card in that person's own name, charge it, and pay it back on time, to build a positive payment history.

My understanding is, the bad credit score cannot be repaired much by the "Joint ownership" as advertised by credit score repair companies.

Why is the person has only low 600's if there is no bankruptcy or anything like that (meaning no forgiven debt, no late-payments, no non-payments...)?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
I thought the OP was talking about some California specific credit card or something offered by Citi, a potentially interesting reward program.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:05 am

Questions about Authorized Users / Additional Cardholders / AU [Consolidated]

I want to add a user to my Citi business card. When I go to "Add new employee account" it asks for their social security number. Will it do a hard pull on their credit? Any other caveats I should be aware of when doing this?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
No hard pull for an authorized user. they may check internally to see if the AU has a Citi blacklist, but I've added my wife to my account (and vice versa) and there was no hard pull.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 8:03 am

I have added authorized users to my Citi and Chase cards with no hard pulls.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 6:31 pm
HCA

My experience is no hard pull for Citi / Chase / AMEX.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
I have added SO as an authorized user with Amex, Chase and Citi in the past 6-12 months. No hard pulls.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:56 pm

What about reporting to the AU's credit report thereafter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.