Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Authorized Users / Additional Cardholders / Joint Accounts / AU [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This is a recently created consolidated thread, to combine knowledge and insight regarding Authorized User accounts in one place.

We are looking for a volunteer(s) to summarize the valuable information in this thread.

If you are such a volunteer, edit this WikiPost with what you've learned.
Print Wikipost

Authorized Users / Additional Cardholders / Joint Accounts / AU [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
They figure out the SSN.
How? What if the AU is Santos L. Harper? or John Smith?

I've had several members of my family as AU's and will do a credit check sometime this week to see if some of the Chase or Citi cards are on their records and report back.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:44 pm

adding authorized users

Usually when you add authorized users to credit card accounts they ask for the individual's SS#.

Other times they ask only for their name. In these cases often the credit card # is the same as the primary credit card #.

How do both of these actions affect that user's credit, credit inquiries, loan applications, etc.?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:31 pm

They figure out the SSN.
Are you sure? That seems ripe for abuse/problems
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by pkoo
How? What if the AU is Santos L. Harper? or John Smith?

I've had several members of my family as AU's and will do a credit check sometime this week to see if some of the Chase or Citi cards are on their records and report back.
They report for me for sure even when I didn't give my SSN to citi/chase.. I made the mistake of adding myself on my wife's cards to manufacture spend. It's not worth it as it reduced my aaoa. Now the problem is if I remove myself the banks will ask again.. careful while going with the AU route.

Also, check this:
http://www.experian.com/ask-experian...n-request.html
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Exactly. If the account is in good standing with a zero balance, most any AU card can be removed from the AU's credit reports after the AU is terminated. A simple online dispute takes care of this in 1-3 days, usually. EX, TU and EQ even have an option to select for this process in their online disputing forms.

If one prefers to not dispute with the CRAs, simply contact the card issuer. Most card issuers, in particular Chase, will send a request for EX/TU/EQ to delete an AU account from an AU's credit profile if you secure message them after terminating the AU. Sometimes they'll ask the AU to sign a form and fax/mail it in. Very simple process and takes about 1-3 days to remove the account.

The only exception I've found when removing AU accounts easily from an AU's credit report is perhaps Amex...they sometimes will and sometimes won't remove the AU account.

As a rule of thumb, I'd suggest once someone's overall credit limits are roughly 2-3x or more their annual income, it's best to not add them as an AU on an account unless necessary. Especially if they plan on applying for CLIs or new accounts.

Found this online:

Authorized user accounts can be removed from report upon request
Dear Experian,
Is an authorized user responsible for the debt? If an authorized user is removed from the credit card, can the credit card also be removed from the credit report? I also read somewhere that credit bureaus will not take into account authorized users for credit scores. Is that true?
- CHS
Dear CHS,
An authorized user is not responsible for the debt. However, authorized user accounts will be listed on an Experian credit report as long as the account is current and positive.
Please understand that the credit reporting companies report the history, but do not have the role to “take into account” what is reported. Such decisions are up to the users of the reports.
Most users rely on one or more scoring models to help evaluate the history. Credit score developers determine whether their scoring systems will include authorized user accounts in the calculation. Some credit scoring systems include authorized user accounts in the calculation and others do not.
If you are concerned about the impact on your credit history, you should contact the creditors and ask to be removed from the account.
Unlike being a joint account holder when you share responsibility for the debt, creditors will typically remove you as an authorized user upon request because you have no responsibility for payment. Experian also will remove the account from your credit report at your request or if you are no longer reported as an authorized user.
Thanks for asking.
- The "Ask Experian" team
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:45 pm

How are they "figuring out "SSN's ?

As far as I know there is no base banks ( or anyone else ) can look at and match names to SSN's.

With all the duplicate names it would still be impossible to know for sure who is who from a name especially when the person added doesn't have the same last name as the primary cardholder

Some banks ask for the SSN of the authorized user and I could see that showing up but I'm not so sre about places like Citi where you give just a name.

If it does work that way I feel bad for Joel Connors as he was an authorized user I added and just made up the name to get the 5k points,lol
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:52 am

Ok so I did an AoR with my mother's SSN. It was her first. The 2 Chase cards were BA and IHG. BA got instant approval for 20k. IHG was denied. Call recon. They said the system won't automatically approve for total credit beyond 20k without secondary so she pulled up my mom's credit report and quizzed me about her previous credit history. She specifically asked about an open LOC and a Slate card she used to have a while back. Nothing else.

My mother has previously been an AU on my Chase UA, Citi AA, and currently my CSP but wasn't asked about any of those.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
How are they "figuring out "SSN's ?

As far as I know there is no base banks ( or anyone else ) can look at and match names to SSN's.
I believe it is that they send the AU info, name, address, etc to the CRA, and they figure out it is the particular person and add it to their credit report.

If you have a fictitious name, then of course they aren't going to be able to match it to anyone, but if it is a real name they find them and add the info to their account.

I should have said they figure out the person not the SSN. I don't know where the matching goes on, at the CC or the CRA. All I know, and with certainty, is AU's I have added without SSN, end up with the card listed on their credit report. This is from Barclay Amex Travelocity card.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by oceandreamer
Exactly. If the account is in good standing with a zero balance, most any AU card can be removed from the AU's credit reports after the AU is terminated. A simple online dispute takes care of this in 1-3 days, usually. EX, TU and EQ even have an option to select for this process in their online disputing forms.
Any idea if they will remove AU even if account isn't closed? I would prefer to have the AU's, in particular for Amex sync bonuses, etc.

Also, just went to try to do an online dispute from Experian and they want me to buy a Credit Report before I can even do a dispute. I take it as well that I need to go through the report and list all AU cards, or does a general statement such as please remove all AU cards from my report work?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:51 pm

I believe it is that they send the AU info, name, address, etc to the CRA, and they figure out it is the particular person and add it to their credit report..
What abot AU's who don't have the same address ?

Seems this should be left as they may find out who you are and add it to your credit report.

Since the banks can't come after AU's it seems to me this would be a lot of work and $$ spent to figure out who a person is ( maybe) when they could easily ask for all that info when you add an AU

Name, SSN, DOB. address.................end of story

I am an AU on 3 accounts . I just pulled all 3 credit reports ( I do it every 6 months and it was close enough and I wanted to see if me being an AU would show up) and I am not listed as having any cards where I am not the primary account holder
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:01 pm

All I know, and with certainty, is AU's I have added without SSN, end up with the card listed on their credit report. This is from Barclay Amex Travelocity card.
This may be because Barclay ( at least with the USair card) has you add the SSN of authorized users

https://www.barclaycardus.com/app/ja...d=&legacy=true

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 1, 2013 at 5:06 pm
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:46 pm

This may be because Barclay ( at least with the USair card) has you add the SSN of authorized users
You linked to an application for the credit card page. When you already have the travelocity card and are logged into your account, you add users and no where does it ask for their SSN.

Yes, it it probably is the address being the same which allows them or the CRA to find the person and have the AU card added to their report.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:50 pm

You linked to an application for the credit card page. When you already have the travelocity card and are logged into your account, you add users and no where does it ask for their SSN.

Yes, it it probably is the address being the same which allows them or the CRA to find the person and have the AU card added to their report.
It must be hit and miss even if you have the same address as I'm not showing up on my wifes USair card, United card, or Delta card and I am an AU on all 3. We just pulled her 3 reports and she doesn't show up on the same 3 cards where I am the primary card holder
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:14 pm

It must be hit and miss even if you have the same address as I'm not showing up on my wifes USair card, United card, or Delta card and I am an AU on all 3. We just pulled her 3 reports and she doesn't show up on the same 3 cards where I am the primary card holder
It could also have something to do with the Barclay Travelocity card being an Amex. Two of the AU's I added to this card later received targeted offers from Amex to my address, (which is where I listed their address on the AU App). So there is obviously some shared information with Amex.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:50 am

Activating Citi Authorized User Card

Does an authorized user card need to be activated?

If so, can it be activated online through the normal /activate site or by Secure Message?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.