Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

TSA no longer enforcing US mask mandate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA no longer enforcing US mask mandate

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by js1993
Not sure I understand your distinction — it's a lot easer to have and follow a statewide rule than an establishment-by-establishment rule — but the dopey governor of New York issued a transit mask mandate a few days after Biden's was overturned.
Let me clarify a little. The Amex CL is private property, and they have every right to have house rules their cardmembers must adhere to, whether one agrees with it or not. While absent of Fed mandate, I don't really pay much attention to State or local mandates, and never have because I don't see how they can enforce it. A private enterprise most certainly may enforce their house rules, such as prohibiting entry or rescinding membership.
volabam likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Visconti
Let me clarify a little. The Amex CL is private property, and they have every right to have house rules their cardmembers must adhere to, whether one agrees with it or not. While absent of Fed mandate, I don't really pay much attention to State or local mandates, and never have because I don't see how they can enforce it. A private enterprise most certainly may enforce their house rules, such as prohibiting entry or rescinding membership.
There's really no difference, though. TSA isn't an enforcement arm of the CDC, either. The same people enforce state-level mandates as the federal mandate: The local police, if any, who are stationed at the airport. If there had been mass non-compliance of the federal mandate as there is of the state-level mandate(s), it would have collapsed months ago.

(If anything, given the governing document of the country, state-level mandates should be given more respect than federal, but that's a topic for OMNI.)
LETTERBOY and TravelForum like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
(If anything, given the governing document of the country, state-level mandates should be given more respect than federal, but that's a topic for OMNI.)
At the state and local level, the enforcers must continue living here. And, rightly or wrongly, they know there are real world ramifications for enforcing certain measures that are unpopular, unlike those folks out in DC. For instance, there are a few local enforcers for whom I will never vote for (if anything, make every effort to vote against), never hire in any capacity should any of them ever come across me or my businesses, never invite to any events, and only have private negative thoughts to share with my inner circle. In other words, I'm going to blacklist their a**es.

That's what I meant about not fretting over local or state mandates, as opposed to Federal ones.
LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 5:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vanillabean
If you are looking for evidence, how about this?

U.S. Surpasses 1 Million Dead From Covid-19 as Number of New Cases Climbs
The U.S. still has the lowest covid-19 vaccination rate among wealthy countries.

https://gizmodo.com/america-worst-co...ira-1848883701
TSA Covid Infections Have Jumped 50% Since The Mask Mandate Was Lifted

Originally Posted by Forbes
In the two weeks since the mask mandate was lifted, Covid-19 infections have jumped 50% among Transportation Security Administration (TSA) employees. On Monday, 542 agency workers had active infections of the coronavirus, according to a TSA spokesperson.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne...h=6be43da867ec

If passengers were allowed to continue to be masked at all times when dealing with the TSA, it would be better for the health of the traveling public encountering the TSA screeners and it would be good for the health of the TSA employees.
downinit likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 5:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne...h=6be43da867ec

If passengers were allowed to continue to be masked at all times when dealing with the TSA, it would be better for the health of the traveling public encountering the TSA screeners and it would be good for the health of the TSA employees.
The cases increasing have nothing, I mean zero to do with people masking on public transportation.
Old May 6, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by TravelForum
The cases increasing have nothing, I mean zero to do with people masking on public transportation.
Source?
Old May 6, 2022, 6:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Communicable viruses have quite the history of spreading along busy transport centers/routes, and there is no good reason to conclude that this would not remain the case with the spread of Covid-19 infections. And the TSA’s anti-mask mandate applicable to travelers has been in place before and since the Florida judge killed the mask-required mandate in mid-April 2022. But now the number and proportion of people wearing masks at TSA-staffed airports has declined such that it would require a suspension of disbelief to think that zero cases have to do with people no longer masking as much on public transportation in the US now as was the case 30 days prior.
downinit likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Honestly, what is the point of masks on airplanes and in airports, when one can go to a theater or sports event, or concert with hundreds if not thousands of people, sit should to shoulder for hours without wearing a mask and that is okay. I have done everything that was asked of me, and then some for over two years for my own health, but also the overall good of the community and here we are still. IMO the number of infections is meaningless without taking into consideration other factors (healthcare, ICU, etc.). If there was a surge in the common cold, we don't require masking or lockdowns because the severity is low, correct? I don't know, I just don't get it anymore.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:19 am

But now the number and proportion of people wearing masks at TSA-staffed airports has declined such that it would require a suspension of disbelief to think that zero cases have to do with people no longer masking as much on public transportation in the US now as was the case 30 days prior.
While I'd agree, at this point, what's the big deal? I mean, if one's vaccinated and/or boosted, it's most likely just a cold, literally. At this point, don't you think it's time to move on?

PS - Don't hit me with the long covid thing which reminds me of all the warnings of mad cow disease from 2000.
tai4de2, ksucats, BLV and 12 others like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Wow, an extra ... 130 cases over two weeks across the entire TSA staff nationwide.

Seriously, who cares?

Today is Day 782 of "two weeks to slow the spread." Enough is enough already.
tai4de2, ksucats, BLV and 17 others like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 7:03 am
Suspended

I remember several on here predicting doom and gloom when the plane mask mandate ended, that pilots would be dropping like flies, calling in sick and schedules (delays/cancellations) would go to hell.

I haven’t heard of that being the case at all. In fact, on a side note, plane incidents have decreased significantly over the past 2 1/2 weeks.

Last edited by TravelForum; May 7, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Old May 7, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: United 1k, American Express Platinum
I remember several on here predicting and gloom when the plane mask mandate ended, that pilots would be dropping like flies, calling in sick and schedules (delays/cancellations) would go to hell.
Let’s see where we’re at in two weeks 🤡
Old May 7, 2022, 9:07 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I remember several on here predicting and gloom when the plane mask mandate ended, that pilots would be dropping like flies, calling in sick and schedules (delays/cancellations) would go to hell.

I haven’t heard of that being the case at all. In fact, on a side note, plane incidents have decreased significantly over the past 2 1/2 weeks.
Source ?
Old May 7, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Source ?
The FAA...it's been in the news the past few days...

https://wkzo.com/2022/05/04/unruly-u...el-since-2020/

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said Wednesday the rate of unruly air passenger incidents dropped to its lowest level since late 2020 after a U.S. judge ended a government transportation mask mandate on April 18.
Old May 7, 2022, 3:00 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
TravelForum mentionned plane incidents, not passengers rage or passenger incidents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.