Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

TSA no longer enforcing US mask mandate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/18/florida-judge-overturns-cdc-mask-mandate-for-public-transit-planes.html“The Transportation Security Administration will not enforce the Covid-19 mask mandate on planes and other public transportation, after a federal judge in Florida on Monday struck down the requirement, ruling that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had overstepped its authority.

The CDC continues to recommend that people wear masks on public transit, a Biden administration official said.”

[mod added summary of story to comply with FT rules]

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 20, 2022 at 1:01 pm
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:13 pm

AA just followed suit
no more masks
In accordance with the Transportation Security Administration no longer enforcing the federal face mask mandate, face masks will no longer be required for our customers and team members at U.S. airports and on domestic flights.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...4/default.aspx

Last edited by LovePrunes; Apr 18, 2022 at 6:19 pm
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Can't we all just get along? My mask does not cover your face or make your COPD flare up. Besides mine saves me a fortune in botox and fillers
cruisr, awayIgo, clkc86 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I always fly AA but Southwest today… I’m so happy I think I could even handle a middle seat.

It’s no secret that airline PILOTS despise masks as a major majority but the FAs on this flight were happy to rip theirs off too.
hockeystl, ksucats, fdog and 17 others like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 18, 2022 at 10:24 pm Reason: Consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:47 pm

Congrats on being one of the first to fly mask-free! Did they have any incidents where people were trying to set them on fire?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 7:20 pm

DL has made it officlal as well.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
The testing requirement must go ASAP.
enviroian, ksucats, rylan and 20 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:02 pm

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
If administration does not appeal this, wonder how many days until another judge rules against the test mandate. I'll put the over/under at 2 1/2.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by volabam
Congrats on being one of the first to fly mask-free! Did they have any incidents where people were trying to set them on fire?
No it took us all by surprise. Yes I saw the news this morning but the airlines implemented quickly. Actually they haven’t updated their safety briefing so the FA was fumbling through it and revising. I was expecting the other side to revolt and be angry they were suddenly on what they deem an unsafe flight but I didn’t catch anything major. Maybe on my next flight in 15 minutes. I have a crazy tight connection.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
No it took us all by surprise. Yes I saw the news this morning but the airlines implemented quickly. Actually they haven’t updated their safety briefing so the FA was fumbling through it and revising. I was expecting the other side to revolt and be angry they were suddenly on what they deem an unsafe flight but I didn’t catch anything major. Maybe on my next flight in 15 minutes. I have a crazy tight connection.
Thanks for the report from the front lines and safe travels!
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:37 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I wish this was handled more gracefully. For example the judge could have stayed the order for 5 days to give airlines time to implement new policies, maybe hand out higher quality masks to passengers who want them until they have time to buy their own, etc.

Meanwhile I just placed an Amazon order for a box of N95 masks by 3M and intend to wear them when traveling. These masks form a seal against the face, so if the person next to me is sick I have less to worry about.

Hopefully we don't see crew availability issues and associated mass cancellations like they had in the UK a couple weeks ago.

Edit: Airlines should not hesitate to put these requirements back in place if we're in another wave, primarily to avoid staff sickness and associated flight cancellations. Perhaps it will become like driving in the Sierras in the winter - "tire chains may become required on any road at any time".
clkc86, dorisrpas, jebr and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Xlr; Apr 18, 2022 at 8:46 pm
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Xlr
I wish this was handled more gracefully. For example the judge could have stayed the order for 5 days to give airlines time to implement new policies, maybe hand out higher quality masks to passengers who want them until they have time to buy their own, etc.

Meanwhile I just placed an Amazon order for a box of N95 masks by 3M and intend to wear them when traveling. These masks form a seal against the face, so if the person next to me is sick I have less to worry about.

Hopefully we don't see crew availability issues and associated mass cancellations like they had in the UK a couple weeks ago.

Edit: Airlines should not hesitate to put these requirements back in place if we're in another wave, primarily to avoid staff sickness and associated flight cancellations. Perhaps it will become like driving in the Sierras in the winter - "tire chains may become required on any road at any time".
I truly sympathize with those who are worried but take comfort in that one-way masking will protect them so long as they choose effective masks rather than the commonly worn cloth ones. As far as airlines mandating, absent the air cover of a government mandate, it will be market suicide which is why we saw the majors very quickly announce they were eliminating any mandates based on corporate policy this afternoon.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Xlr

You think the crew is wearing masks outside of the aircraft?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by volabam
I truly sympathize with those who are worried but take comfort in that one-way masking will protect them so long as they choose effective masks rather than the commonly worn cloth ones. As far as airlines mandating, absent the air cover of a government mandate, it will be market suicide which is why we saw the majors very quickly announce they were eliminating any mandates based on corporate policy this afternoon.
Right. As a private enterprise, they can reinstitute the mandate at their discretion. I, as a consumer, could either accept it or fly someone else. And, should there be a huge market demand for mask only flights, then have some.

It should have been this way from the very beginning.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I'm a little confused about some of the reporting - I've read individual airlines saying you don't have to wear a mask on the plane or in the airport. Do the airlines have control over their area of the airport? I thought that was all TSA/Fed, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.