Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Impact on travel after positive PCR - how long before you test negative?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact on travel after positive PCR - how long before you test negative?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Rapid Antigen Test experience

The two of us have been confirmed positive with PCR tests as having Omicron. FWIW it is nothing more than your average common cold experience.

Having said that......our gubmint has given everyone free rapid antigen tests made by MOSS/BTNX in Germany. These are the ones than come in the lime green boxes.

We've each had 4 negative test results from either nasal or throat swabs at 4-5-6 day intervals using them at home. There is no doubt we're sick as we currently have symptoms. They are not rocket science, so you can't really err when doing the testing process either.

Anyone here having the same result ?
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:17 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Gold standard is to use the PCR.
Fully vaxxed + Boosted = can still test positive with PCR while testing negative with Antigen.

Either negative PCR test is needed, or certificate letter from medical doctor stating covid recovery before flying.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I'm not flying anywhere in the next month or so.

Just curious how many others have had the same experience with this IMHO questionable product.

FWIW I've had 2 x AZ and 2 Pfizer shots.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
False negatives are a known problem with antigen tests. This is why some governments require PCR tests and don't allow antigen tests for travel.
36902BRF and KDS777 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 2:49 pm

here is what I don't understand and hopefully someone can shed some light. Is covid a situation where you get it or you don't, meaning if you are exposed, would you test positive where someone else who was also exposed the exact same way would not?
In a person who is triple jabbed and exposed, do they either contract covid or not?
How about a person who recently had Omicron and again is exposed, could they still test positive? Just trying to figure out if a person exposed either gets covid or doesn't get it.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Nice to hear that you recovered quickly and that your travel seems (relatively) assured.

I'm sure these time-to-recovery numbers have a lot of variability, but bearing that in mind, here is the data from a 20 year-old student of mine (double vaccinated with Moderna, but not boosted):

Day 0 - probable exposure date, though PCR negative on that date.
Day 2 - experienced mild symptoms, and antigen test was positive
Day 3-4 - worse but not horrible flu-like symptoms
Day 5-6 - symptoms resolved by the end of Day 6
Day 8 - Antigen test negative on this day and Day 9
u01sss3 likes this.

Last edited by StingWest; Jan 2, 2022 at 8:47 pm
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10
False negatives are a known problem with antigen tests. This is why some governments require PCR tests and don't allow antigen tests for travel.
I think forum rules require a reference for a statement like that.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:15 pm

False negatives with PCR

The FDA has revoked the EUA for the PCR assay yesterday, per this reference:

https://www.fda.gov/media/137089/download

Therefore, you might conceivably have an influenza infection, that falsely shows as Covid by PCR, but correctly negative by lateral flow.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by IAATM
The FDA has revoked the EUA for the PCR assay yesterday, per this reference:

https://www.fda.gov/media/137089/download

Therefore, you might conceivably have an influenza infection, that falsely shows as Covid by PCR, but correctly negative by lateral flow.
1) this was revoked in July, not yesterday
2) it was one specific assay that was revoked, not all pcr tests3) what is your source for false positives from flu? The sources I saw said it was revoked because it was no longer in use and thus didn't need an emergency authorization.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:48 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Catbert10
It’s generally accepted and widely quoted/assumed on this forum that, in terms of detecting Covid-19, PCR tests are more sensitive and accurate than antigen (commonly known as lateral flow in many parts of the world).

The test methodology is actually very different in terms of the constituents the tests are looking for, but the end result is that antigen tests are between 70% and 90% accurate depending on the competency of the tester, and certainly require a higher viral load, whereas PCRs achieve 99.9% accuracy. They are designed for very different purposes.
DaveS and Yellowjj like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I've come across multiple rapid antigen tests (including the iHealth tests that I currently have) which state on the box "This test is more likely to give you a false negative result when you have COVID-19 than a lab-based molecular test."

In particular this is why serial testing is encouraged to confirm a negative result when using rapid antigen testing.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
It's almost impossible to get any clear data on OP original question.
I will ask again...
HOW LONG AFTER testing positive did you receive a negative RT PCR test or PCR test? CDC advised that a person can test positive for at least 90 days after infection.

​​​​​How did it impact your travel? Example, EK requires negative RT PCR test or you don't fly. Doctor's letter, recovery, fully vaccinated and boosted are irrelevant.

Last edited by SEA777GUY; Jan 2, 2022 at 10:51 pm
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
It's almost impossible to get any clear data on OP original question.
I will ask again...
HOW LONG AFTER testing positive did you receive a negative RT PCR test or PCR test? CDC advised that. Virus can live in your nose up to 90 days.
Although the OP mentioned a PCR test with regard to his original infection, he also referenced travel to the USA, and the antigen test required to travel there. That why some, including me, have responded with anecdotal experience involving antigen tests.
u01sss3 and 36902BRF like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:30 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
It’s generally accepted and widely quoted/assumed on this forum that, in terms of detecting Covid-19, PCR tests are more sensitive and accurate than antigen (commonly known as lateral flow in many parts of the world).

The test methodology is actually very different in terms of the constituents the tests are looking for, but the end result is that antigen tests are between 70% and 90% accurate depending on the competency of the tester, and certainly require a higher viral load, whereas PCRs achieve 99.9% accuracy. They are designed for very different purposes.
Yes, antigen tests don’t detect as well as PCR at the beginning and end of being infectious, which leads directly to that

“There has been some concern about why we don’t ask people at that five-day period to get tested. That is something that is now under consideration,” Dr. Fauci said on ABC’s “This Week” on Sunday. “I think we’re going to be hearing more about that in the next day or so from the CDC.”
U.S., Europe Weigh Isolation Requirements as Omicron Disrupts Daily Life
https://apple.news/ATfo2pqfbSEecd7SEBJuRow

The WS article though somewhat blends the terms quarantine and isolation, which the following CNN article clears up.

Quarantine refers to those who were exposed but not diagnosed with an infection, while isolation refers to those who test positive.
Daily Covid-19 case rates have now surpassed Delta's surge. Hospitalizations so far have yet to match
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/12/25/h...day/index.html

The dilemma with PCR tests though is that by the time you get your test resultat, you might have become infectious, so I can see some justification for the within one day US entry rule allowing an antigen test.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Saw this today......
positive on the 13th - negative on 30th
clIck photo for the full image.

Are these home antigen tests?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.