Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Impact on travel after positive PCR - how long before you test negative?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Hello all. I tested positive on Christmas eve using and antigen/lateral flow test then later that day using a PCR. I'm now in day 5/10 of isolation.
Does anyone have experience of how long it took to test negative afterwards?
I'm meant to be travelling from the UK to Ireland then the US which require antigen tests on the 10th of January and I'm hoping I'll be negative by then. I've most likely got the omicron variant if that matters and am fully vaxxed.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by u01sss3
Hello all. I tested positive on Christmas eve using and antigen/lateral flow test then later that day using a PCR. I'm now in day 5/10 of isolation.
I'm meant to be travelling from the UK to Ireland then the US which require antigen tests on the 10th of January and I'm hoping I'll be negative by then. I've most likely got the omicron variant if that matters and am fully vaxxed.
From the sample size of one: Positive LFT on 19th of December, followed by positive PCR on 21st. LFT still positive on 25th and 26th (very faint T-line), clear C-line on 27th of December.
u01sss3 and 36902BRF like this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyslow
From the sample size of one: Positive LFT on 19th of December, followed by positive PCR on 21st. LFT still positive on 25th and 26th (very faint T-line), clear C-line on 27th of December.
Thanks that's exactly what I'm looking for.
flyslow likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sample size of 2 (my 2 adult children) both omicron. Day 0 positive PCR. One tested negative on day 6, one on day 11.
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
I probably contracted Delta on the 16th of November in Budapest, tested positive on the 20th with a headache and snotty nose and negative from the 25th onwards. I understand* that the Omnicom variant "could" ensure your positivity is longer than Delta.

* Armchair Virologist
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by u01sss3
I meant to say can you travel after 14 days with a letter from your doctor?

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 3, 2022 at 2:18 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by pathmd45
You need to check with the specific airline and the entry requirements for the country that you are going to (for int. travel).
Old Dec 29, 2021, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Not me, but my wife had mild symptoms on Nov. 18th, first negative Antigen test on Nov. 27th. A friend in England had symptoms on Dec. 20th, tested positive on Dec. 22nd. and was still positive today - although it took the full 15 minutes to show up. It seems that 7 to 10 days after initial symptoms is needed to pass a test. FYI, passing a PCR test may take more time, as it detects any amount of virus.
N1120A and u01sss3 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
10 days for me.
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 2:12 pm

8-days for me..
0 - no symptons - covid test
1 - tested positive from day0 test (halo t5)
2,3,4 - symptoms (fevers, bed for 2 days)
5,6 - mild symptoms
7 - no symptoms
8 - negative lateral flow.
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by pathmd45
I believe you can, for the US and Canada - 14 days and a recovery letter exempts from testing for 3-6 months.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by N1120A
I believe you can, for the US and Canada - 14 days and a recovery letter exempts from testing for 3-6 months.
IIRC in some places you also need to have had a positive test at the time for proof that you actually had COVID-19.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC in some places you also need to have had a positive test at the time for proof that you actually had COVID-19.
I think that might be all places to qualify.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Saw this today......
positive on the 13th - negative on 30th
clIck photo for the full image.

u01sss3 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Happy New Year, all. I think it's only right to add my own data point in case anyone else is wondering.
I tested positive on the 24th of December and finally negative (antigen/lateral flow test) yesterday on the 31st of December.
My first test yesterday had a very very faint line on the positive field and 2nd was entirely clear. I did another today and it was negative.
Let's hope we get some return to normalish travel this year and thanks for those who responded.
mcgahat, channonc and DaveS like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.