Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:34 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
What about a UA or AA or DL TATL flight originating from a FL airport?

I thought airlines, particularly for international flights, was regulated by the DoT.

Can a state entity even impose fines or would a state have to litigate to try to collect monies of some kind?

And could they litigate in a state court or would it have to be federal court since airlines and interstate/international travel is strictly the purview of the federal govt?

I suppose they could say something about some intrastate flight but I doubt those flights would be checking for vaccination status.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: United 1K 3MM
Originally Posted by exp
What about a UA or AA or DL TATL flight originating from a FL airport?

I thought airlines, particularly for international flights, was regulated by the DoT.

Can a state entity even impose fines or would a state have to litigate to try to collect monies of some kind?

And could they litigate in a state court or would it have to be federal court since airlines and interstate/international travel is strictly the purview of the federal govt?

I suppose they could say something about some intrastate flight but I doubt those flights would be checking for vaccination status.
Is that how cruise lines will get around the FL or TX executive orders to comply with the CDC vaccinated cruises?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 8:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
where do you plan on getting an electronic certificate from? (outside of NY vaccination)
Here's where I'd get mine: https://coronavirus.dc.gov/release/d...nation-records
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Hello,

There was also a problem in how the Navica app calculated the number of days since the negative test. According to the CDC website (link below), days are counted instead of hours to allow more flexibility. A maximum of 3 days are allowed. The CDC website gives an example of a Friday flight with a negative test on Tuesday. However the Navica app counts the day of test as Day #1. So when I arrived to the airport and pulled out the navica app on my phone, I was horrified when it said "4 Days since Negative Test". Luckily I had a print out with me. I sent a bug report to the Navica help desk.

CDC Link for COVID Testing Requirements to Enter US: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
thats a pretty big miscalculation/presentation by them since the 6 pack of tests themselves are so much money...glad I passed and just got my return test locally in guayaquil...
sgopal2 and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by michael1023
thats a pretty big miscalculation/presentation by them since the 6 pack of tests themselves are so much money...glad I passed and just got my return test locally in guayaquil...
It also tells me not t take the Navica / eMed / BinaxNOW test three days before ... do it the day before travel or the day of travel. It's a rapid test with results in well under 30 minutes.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
It also tells me not t take the Navica / eMed / BinaxNOW test three days before ... do it the day before travel or the day of travel. It's a rapid test with results in well under 30 minutes.
Problem with that is if you get an error message or something doesn't work right, you are stuck in panic mode trying to find a test
EmailKid and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Hello,

I just returned from a trip abroad to the US after using the BinaxNOW Antigen Test (along with eMed). Here is a summary of my experience, and answers to many frequent questions:

I purchased one 6-pack of tests via eMed. Another relative of mine purchased another 6 pack. After arrival we promptly got all of them mixed up. But it didn't matter. Upon starting the eMed session, they will just make sure that the QR code on the box matches the one on the Binax card. There does not appear to be any matching of the QR codes to an individual name. So its possible to use a 6 pack among more than one person. Just make sure each person has their own navica account.

Make sure to download the Navica app on your device prior to leaving the US. The app store restricts downloads of Navica to users with a US address. I had problems with the Navica app running on ipad. Especially when trying to share the results of the Navica pass. The Share Sheet was not working on the ipad version of Navica. But it was working on the iPhone. I wanted to have printed copies of the negative result instead of relying only on the phone.

The difficulty in exporting the negative result from the iPad share sheet also caused problems when using the United Travel Ready Center. United asks passengers to upload negative results ahead of the flight. I tried to send a screenshot of the negative test result (along with QR code), and it was initially rejected. This was because I had no way to export it from my iPad Navica app. I then used the Navica app on my Iphone and then exported using share. This seemed to please the United people, and so they accepted it.

There was also a problem in how the Navica app calculated the number of days since the negative test. According to the CDC website (link below), days are counted instead of hours to allow more flexibility. A maximum of 3 days are allowed. The CDC website gives an example of a Friday flight with a negative test on Tuesday. However the Navica app counts the day of test as Day #1. So when I arrived to the airport and pulled out the navica app on my phone, I was horrified when it said "4 Days since Negative Test". Luckily I had a print out with me. I sent a bug report to the Navica help desk.

CDC Link for COVID Testing Requirements to Enter US: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
Was there an option to get a paper copy? DL doesn't seem to be as sophisticated as Untied in this scenario and I think you need to show a paper copy to them....not sure they'd accept the NAVICA app (especially since you're dealing with check in agents from non-US locations)
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Problem with that is if you get an error message or something doesn't work right, you are stuck in panic mode trying to find a test
Indeed - which is why I will plan to use it when I still have an alternative, but in any event NT 3 days in advance.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:56 pm

Was there an option to get a paper copy? DL doesn't seem to be as sophisticated as Untied in this scenario and I think you need to show a paper copy to them....not sure they'd accept the NAVICA app (especially since you're dealing with check in agents from non-US locations)
Yes, when using the iPhone version of Navica, here is how to get a paper copy:

1. Sign into Navica on your phone, and click Results at the bottom
2. Another screen will pop up with all of your test results. Click on the result you'd like a hard copy of
3. Next screen - click the button that says "Share or Print"
4. The share sheet will then open up (this is for iPhone) but probably similar for Android. Then you can send it to a variety of different apps > mail, copy, whatsapp, iMesssage, etc. I saved it to my Dropbox.
5. It will then create a PNG file with your test results. It has a QR code, along with your name, DOB, result date/time and serial number.
Xyzzy and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Yes, when using the iPhone version of Navica, here is how to get a paper copy:

1. Sign into Navica on your phone, and click Results at the bottom
2. Another screen will pop up with all of your test results. Click on the result you'd like a hard copy of
3. Next screen - click the button that says "Share or Print"
4. The share sheet will then open up (this is for iPhone) but probably similar for Android. Then you can send it to a variety of different apps > mail, copy, whatsapp, iMesssage, etc. I saved it to my Dropbox.
5. It will then create a PNG file with your test results. It has a QR code, along with your name, DOB, result date/time and serial number.
Has anyone used this with an airline that is not AA or UA? Other airlines may not as easily accept since it only shows date of results and not the date the test was taken.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
How does checking for tests and global entry works, do they check the tests at US immigration upon arrival? Does this mean that you cannot use GE at the kiosk?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 6:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nk15
How does checking for tests and global entry works, do they check the tests at US immigration upon arrival? Does this mean that you cannot use GE at the kiosk?
The test results are checked by the airlines flying me into the US.

CBP doesn’t care to check the test results IME, so I just pack the results away upon boarding flights to the US and never again have a need for them.

Global Entry works pretty much like normal for me during this era of US-required testing to fly to the US. Pretty much the same old swipe of passports, finger prints and photo thing, on-screen questionnaire, and kiosk-printed receipts as usual.
SamirD and nk15 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:06 pm
exp
Suspended

I'm looking at the CDC order and it appears it can be a PCR or Antigen test taken up to 3 days before your return fight to the US?

Why does the Order specify 3 days rather than 72 hours? What is considered 3 days?The 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 3-day timeframe instead of 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the traveler. By using a 3-day window, test validity does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test was administered.

For example, if a passenger’s flight is at 1pm on a Friday, the passenger could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after.
What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

Other countries such as France allow 72-hour PCR or 48-hours for Antigen tests. But the US seems to allow for up to 72 hours for either?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The US allows for 3 calendar days — distinct from 72 hours — whether PCR or antigen.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:31 pm
exp
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The US allows for 3 calendar days — distinct from 72 hours — whether PCR or antigen.

Makes life a lot easier, though dumb that they still require it from returning vaccinated Americans.

But France is giving free tests so no need for self-testing kits like that Binax thing.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.