Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by hurnik
Does anyone foresee the US requirements for testing (arrival to the US) going away? Ever?
I mean it seems like COVID will become endemic, regardless of being vaccinated, so in order to prevent anyone from catching it, and possibly ending up in the hospital (even if say, 80-90% of the US was vaccinated, let's pretend).
Absolutely. When covid is as common and treatable as the flu, I think the pre-covid requirements will be all that remain. Another 10 years from now no one will even remember this pandemic happened as all the data of it will be wiped clean off the Internet...such is the memory manipulation of humanity these days.

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I can see the US government dropping the test requirement for vaccinated travelers, but I (obviously) have no idea of the timing. The US has said that requiring travelers be vaccinated could be the way to open the borders, but they have not (to my knowledge) linked that to dropping the test requirement, at least publicly. I think, though, that's the direction they'll end up going eventually - there are a lot of people who won't travel if a test is involved, and the airlines will want that money.
Vaccination in lieu of testing I don't think will ever get a real foothold because it simple doesn't work to prevent spread--look at Tahiti and French Polynesia right now--they required vaccinations and testing and within 1 month of reopening everything they're in worse shape than ever.

Let's not pretend that travel isn't the single biggest spread vector. Until the threat of this virus to humankind goes away, limiting spread is the only real solution. And that means stopping travel. But no one in charge wants to go this route because of politics. Nevermind that people will die...

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Knowing that the "US science" says it is safer for Schengen/UK pax to stay 2 weeks in countries with way more C19 cases than in their home country before entering the US rather than allowing them directly, do not expect any rationale decision by this "Science" for the testing.
No less 'rational' than the idea that having these planes and people traveling around the world isn't spreading the virus. There's dumb...es in every country and everywhere if you want to find them, not just in the US.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 26, 2021 at 4:39 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 25, 2021, 2:30 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Well Hawaii says only 1-2% of spread in that state is from out of state tourists.

Most of it is community spread, from unvaccinated residents.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by exp
Well Hawaii says only 1-2% of spread in that state is from out of state tourists.

Most of it is community spread, from unvaccinated residents.
Because there is no real contact tracing being done, such statements can't be taken as a fact.

The only fact is that the areas that have travel have gotten it. It started in china and spread to the rest of the world via travel and that only stopped when flight were grounded.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 5:22 am

US Citizen flying back from England - is Rapid NHS test Ok?

I am a US citizen flying back from England soon.
To check-in I have to show a negative test. I've got a "Antigen Rapid Test".
I suppose this is OK.
I can report the negative test on the NHS website and it sends me an email with my name and DOB on.

Can I just print this email out and show it to the airline check-in?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Bansaw
I suppose this is OK.
I can report the negative test on the NHS website and it sends me an email with my name and DOB on.

Hi,
Welcome to flyetalk.
I do not think NHS tests are allowed/valid for travel purposes and you will need to get a private provider test for travel.

Regards

TBS
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:29 am

This is what my airline are saying (below)
Can you recommned a Pharmacy test I can get?
I wonder why it cannot be NHS, ... its self-reporting... it emails you the result and idenitifes name, DOB, date taken.

Mandatory COVID-19 test

DescriptionTravelers must have an original printed or electronic negative COVID-19 viral test result (NAAT: RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA, NEAR, HDA, or Antigen: Rapid). The test must be performed a maximum of 3 days before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary. Test results must include the traveler's full name and at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number. This requirement applies to all travelers, including US citizens, residents, and transit travelers, as well as travelers who have been vaccinated. Travelers may use a self-test (sometimes referred to as a home test) that meets the given criteria.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:42 am

Seems the issue is not so much the type of test but more the documentation.
We had an rapid test done 3 days before the flight and got a printout with all the information (type of test, result, date and time, passport number). That was sufficient for Lufthansa and the special check at Frankfurt airport.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Seems the issue is not so much the type of test but more the documentation.
We had an rapid test done 3 days before the flight and got a printout with all the information (type of test, result, date and time, passport number). That was sufficient for Lufthansa and the special check at Frankfurt airport.
Exactly, its the documentation that I want.
I just visited a Pharmacist and phoned several, they said they only do the PCR.
I just want someone to observe my rapid test and give me what you said: type of test, date,time, full name and passport #.
Where did you get yours done?
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: AA PLT, (AC)
I suppose this is OK.

So, you are flying to the US from England and you need to comply w/ USA testing requirements. Yes, the Rapid Antigen Test is compliant. You need to present the report of the negative test results received from the test provider to your airline in order to fly. You will not be issued a boarding pass without showing the airline the negative test result provided to you by the company/lab that processed your test sample. The issue is not the test type *Rapid Antigen Test) as that is okay. The issue is that you need a negative test result on a report from the test provider. Your self-report of a negative result will not likely be deemed as compliant.

Edit: Several airports in the UK offer testing at the airports for departing travelers and issue the test results report you need within 15-20 minutes (fit-to-fly test). Check your departure airport to see if testing is offered.

Last edited by Jim Hogan; Aug 26, 2021 at 8:10 am
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Jim Hogan
So, you are flying to the US from England and you need to comply w/ USA testing requirements. Yes, the Rapid Antigen Test is compliant. You need to present the report of the negative test results received from the test provider to your airline in order to fly. You will not be issued a boarding pass without showing the airline the negative test result provided to you by the company/lab that processed your test sample. The issue is not the test type *Rapid Antigen Test) as that is okay. The issue is that you need a negative test result on a report from the test provider. Your self-report of a negative result will not likely be deemed as compliant.
Thanks, that sounds right. We need documentation of the test.
The question is: where do I get that done? I suppose it will have to be Saturday afternoon since Monday is bank holiday.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: AA PLT, (AC)
The question is: where do I get that done? I suppose it will have to be Saturday afternoon since Monday is bank holiday.
Visit the website of your departure flight to the US. There might be a compnay that does the testing you need on site prior to your flight check in.
SamirD and Bansaw like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 9:20 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The NHS tests, which are funded by UK taxpayers, are essentially designed to capture asymptomatic cases. They are not, and never have been, intended to prove eligibility for travel - it's one of the few things the government has actually been very clear about!

It shouldn't come as a surprise, therefore, to find that they only provide the most basic of notifications, which I have no doubt is quite deliberate.

Nonetheless, there are numerous testing options available, including on a Bank Holiday. You may wish to look at a thread in UK & Ireland forum which will give some recommendations for testing in and around the London area if that's where you're flying out from. Obviously you would need to ensure that any test in there also met the US criteria.

Covid Testing for UK Travel - London Based Travellers

As has been said, numerous airlines also provide discount codes for various test providers, although at this stage probably you need to be quick if you want to avail of a postal kit.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 12:21 pm

Information on CDC approved home tests (BinaxNOW or Ellume) below, but as already suggested your best bet is probably at the airport now.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/cdc-ap...ational-travel

You haven't said your location in the UK, but you could look at ExpressTest for testing locations at https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a-test/
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by mguinness; Aug 26, 2021 at 12:37 pm Reason: Test locations
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Many branches of Boots do "Fit to Fly" rapid antigen tests. I had one done on Monday and the certificate was e-mailed to me before I returned home. Check the Boots website for the one nearest to you and I'm sure you have to book in advance. Also, beware that they are not the cheapest and so you have to trade off reliability and cost.
SamirD and Bansaw like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by Ardecos
Many branches of Boots do "Fit to Fly" rapid antigen tests. I had one done on Monday and the certificate was e-mailed to me before I returned home. Check the Boots website for the one nearest to you and I'm sure you have to book in advance. Also, beware that they are not the cheapest and so you have to trade off reliability and cost.
I just flew on American Airlines from Lima to Miami. Rapid test Antigen Test from downtown Lima laboratory on same day was sufficient for AA and USA entry. Result in 2 hours at cost of $ 25
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.