Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Experiences with self administered [supervised] antigen test for entry into the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with self administered [supervised] antigen test for entry into the US?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2021, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jesspiombino
I also read in this thread that these abbott tests are not widely known or used in the EU... my son and husband will need new "PCR or antigen" tests for the game on June 20th (website states they should take it June 18th after 18:00, very specific!), do you all think the Abbott tests will be accepted or will they need to go in person somewhere to get tested? I feel like they will be acceptable since it states it can be an antigen test.
The Greek Government setup a website for these types of questions. If your husband and son are vaccinated, they do not also need to do a PCR test. I don't see anything that mentions acceptability of antigen tests like BINAX Now however.

https://travel.gov.gr/#/
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 2:17 pm

Yes, I have read the site thoroughly. Unfortunately, they are not vaccinated. I am just unclear if these self-administered tests are valid PCR tests for travel or they just acceptable by major US airlines for the return home. Are they rapid antigen tests that only our CDC deemed acceptable? Thanks again.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Yes, I have read the site thoroughly. Unfortunately, they are not vaccinated. I am just unclear if these self-administered tests are valid PCR tests for travel or they just acceptable by major US airlines for the return home. Are they rapid antigen tests that only our CDC deemed acceptable? Thanks again.
the airlines have no regulatory power. They have to (should) follow the rules of the country they are flying in.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
What I would do is go to the ticket counter of the airline that they will be checking-in at EWR and ask them what they need to fly. The airlines are the ultimate gatekeepers in terms of who gets to fly and who doesn't as well as implementation of regulations and how to comply.

In our plans, we thought that the tests being provided at SFO were sufficient for an international trip. Only when we went the day before the flight for the appointment did we find out they were not, and that the only solution that would get us the results in time cost us $399/ea for an RT-PCR. If we would have talked to the airline agent earlier, we would have had more time. The customer service numbers are useless for this type of information since they aren't the actual gatekeeper.

Good luck!
Old Jun 19, 2021, 11:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat, PreCheck
I notice that the documentation I got show the time the results were reported and not the time the specimen was collected. It’s the time the specimen is collected that is required by the CDC order. Has anyone had this come up before? Thanks for your help.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by SF Traveler
I notice that the documentation I got show the time the results were reported and not the time the specimen was collected. It’s the time the specimen is collected that is required by the CDC order. Has anyone had this come up before? Thanks for your help.
The test result in the App showed the time I think.

BTW I purchased a 6 pack and used 1 during my trip EU>US .... guess the remaining 5 will be my price of convenience
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 4, 2021 at 6:44 am Reason: Not a marketplace
Old Jul 3, 2021, 10:26 am

Does anyone know the shelf-life of this product? I'm considering buying a two pack to take with me to the EU in July so have on hand before my return to the US in September, but don't want to purchase if these tests will expire in that time frame.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by calvinmo
Does anyone know the shelf-life of this product? I'm considering buying a two pack to take with me to the EU in July so have on hand before my return to the US in September, but don't want to purchase if these tests will expire in that time frame.
Shelf-life is currently 12 months, but batches manufactured earlier this year may have a 6-month or 9-month expiry that was since extended by Abbott: https://www.health.nd.gov/sites/www/..._Extension.pdf

As an example, the 6-pack I purchased in May came with a September expiration date, which was then extended 3 months per Abbott. I would expect test kits shipping now to have much later expiration dates.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Anyone have experience with these returning from Tahiti, et al? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Just sat down (3pm PT on Saturday) to take my emed test in Ireland for my return on Monday. Not a good first impression emed. Will try again tomorrow. This isn't baseball, so emed isn't getting three strikes. If this same nonsense shows up tomorrow, I'll simply get an antigen test at Dublin Airport drive-through, before returning the rental car, and then return the 6-pack of tests.

SamirD and CinChas like this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Just sat down (3pm PT on Saturday) to take my emed test in Ireland for my return on Monday. Not a good first impression emed. Will try again tomorrow. This isn't baseball, so emed isn't getting three strikes. If this same nonsense shows up tomorrow, I'll simply get an antigen test at Dublin Airport drive-through, before returning the rental car, and then return the 6-pack of tests.
Sure they are returnable?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Just sat down (3pm PT on Saturday) to take my emed test in Ireland for my return on Monday. Not a good first impression emed.

This is strange. Wondering if the business has recently increased to an unmanageable level? I have taken the test, or helped a family member take it, 7 times this summer. The wait time was always in seconds. Last time I took a test was 2 weeks ago.

Will be interesting to see if eMed becomes a victim of its own success, or if they can quickly adjust to meet the demand.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 10:20 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
On Aug. 24 I'll be flying ZURICH-AMSTERDAM-JFK, in ZRH airport I can take a rapid antigen test (which is supposed to be OK for my return to the US). They charge 80 SF, but no appointment is necessary, they have the results in 15-20 min. My hotel is near the airport so I'll be passing through ZRH airport everyday.
Per the note in #58, the on-line test (with advance purchase of 6 kits) might not really be that convenient.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by nrr
On Aug. 24 I'll be flying ZURICH-AMSTERDAM-JFK, in ZRH airport I can take a rapid antigen test (which is supposed to be OK for my return to the US). They charge 80 SF, but no appointment is necessary, they have the results in 15-20 min. My hotel is near the airport so I'll be passing through ZRH airport everyday.
Per the note in #58, the on-line test (with advance purchase of 6 kits) might not really be that convenient.
That does sound very convenient. If the long wait issue is resolved, I still find the eMed test an excellent option especially for families (my kid is terrified of the clinic nasal swab), and smaller packs are available through Optum and Walgreens (Walgreens test with telehealth only sold in the states of NY, NJ, and CA).
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Testing sites downtown Zurich

Originally Posted by nrr
Even though I had already purchased the eMed pack and had them with me, for my return to the USA, I decided to stop at a Zurich testing site, and paid 80 CHF for the antigen test. There is a site within walking distance of the downtown area:

https://www.onedoc.ch/en/covid-testing-center/zurich Although it says appointments required, I just showed up.

Results in a few hours by email.

Although this is pretty easy and quick, it would be expensive for a family!
SamirD and CinChas like this.

Last edited by StingWest; Aug 1, 2021 at 1:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.