Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can Americans fly ATH-CDG-SEA?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Can Americans fly ATH-CDG-SEA?

Hello, I'm an American Citizen planning a trip to Greece this June as they would be allowing American Citizens. The flight to Europe would be SEA-JFK-ATH so I'm not worried about any issues entering Greece. But the return is ATH-CDG-SEA. Would I be allowed to board the flight to CDG even though I cannot enter France because of the COVID restrictions? I was looking at the CDG Airport website and saw that Americans can transit if they stay in the international area but I assume the flight from Athens would not arrive at the international area and I'd have to clear customs in France to access the international area at CDG.

Would I have issues or should I pay up more and rebook to flight like ATH-JFK-SEA?

Thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Yakolev
Hello, I'm an American Citizen planning a trip to Greece this June as they would be allowing American Citizens. The flight to Europe would be SEA-JFK-ATH so I'm not worried about any issues entering Greece. But the return is ATH-CDG-SEA. Would I be allowed to board the flight to CDG even though I cannot enter France because of the COVID restrictions? I was looking at the CDG Airport website and saw that Americans can transit if they stay in the international area but I assume the flight from Athens would not arrive at the international area and I'd have to clear customs in France to access the international area at CDG.

Would I have issues or should I pay up more and rebook to flight like ATH-JFK-SEA?

Thanks.
Guess it may depend on when your going as there are discussions about the EU as a whole allowing foreign tourists in who are vaccinated or with a negative test ( Not sure at that point what the rule for transiting would be ). Did you book this with miles or cash? Can you make changes without penalty? If you can make changes without incurring a cost I would just do that to get on the ATH-JFK flight.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:43 pm

Currently, by the letter of the rules this itinerary would not be allowed, even though all intra-Schengen flights (except domestics) are subject to border controls at CDG. If you were flying today I would expect that you be denied boarding at ATH although in practice if you make it to CDG there likely wouldn't be a problem getting to your connecting flight.

After May 17, there is a very good chance that anyone from the US who has been vaccinated will be able to enter France anyway, so your itinerary in June would more likely than not be ok.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Guess it may depend on when your going as there are discussions about the EU as a whole allowing foreign tourists in who are vaccinated or with a negative test ( Not sure at that point what the rule for transiting would be ). Did you book this with miles or cash? Can you make changes without penalty? If you can make changes without incurring a cost I would just do that to get on the ATH-JFK flight.
The trip is in early June. It's paid with cash and I just have to pay the fare difference which is about $150.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 6:07 am
Suspended

Hi so long as you were in Greece or another EU country in the past 14 days then that itinerary is fine. The rule is you can enter France from another EU country with no problem so long as you were in the EU past 14 days. You will however need a PCR test done previous 72 hours.

Your citizenship does not matter. What matters is that so long as you were within the EU past 14 days then you are allowed into France.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by B-HQC
Currently, by the letter of the rules this itinerary would not be allowed, even though all intra-Schengen flights (except domestics) are subject to border controls at CDG. If you were flying today I would expect that you be denied boarding at ATH although in practice if you make it to CDG there likely wouldn't be a problem getting to your connecting flight.

After May 17, there is a very good chance that anyone from the US who has been vaccinated will be able to enter France anyway, so your itinerary in June would more likely than not be ok.
If the itinerary is all on one ticket, OP is totally allowed to fly through CDG, even with current rules.
SailorTomSparrow likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Goldorak
If the itinerary is all on one ticket, OP is totally allowed to fly through CDG, even with current rules.
Indeed. I flew LHR - CDG - MEX about 1 month ago and had no issues. No covid test or inspection at all.

I think only issue for OP could be he needs to exit schengen but according to TIMATIC he will be absolutely fine entering France from Greece with non EU passport so long as he was in EU past 14 days.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SailorTomSparrow
Indeed. I flew LHR - CDG - MEX about 1 month ago and had no issues. No covid test or inspection at all.

I think only issue for OP could be he needs to exit schengen but according to TIMATIC he will be absolutely fine entering France from Greece with non EU passport so long as he was in EU past 14 days.
LHR-CDG-MEX is Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen
ATH-CDG-SEA is Schengen to Non-Schengen.

However, as you mentioned, the transfer would be only possible if the OP is spending the last 14 days in Greece before taking this flight.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Sorry guys, but nobody would care for this connection Schengen to non-Schengen if OP had spent less than 14 days in Schengen. Full passport control is in place in CDG for Schengen arrivals if you want to enter France, since the beginning if the pandemic, and this is where OP would be blocked eventually in case he/she wanted to enter France. But connecting in CDG to non-Schengen, the police officer at immigration control to exit the Schengen area will not blink an eye for an American citizen going to the US. The connecting passengers do not follow the same circuit as CDG-ending pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.