Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Which major hubs in EU/UK require tests for transit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: esledo
EU/UK airports that are known to require COVID test certificate for transit:

AMS
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/messages/coronavirus-update

CPH
https://um.dk/en/travel-and-residence/coronavirus-covid-19/

LHR
https://www.heathrow.com/customer-support/faq/coronavirus-covid-19
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Except AMS which hubs require tests for transit? Where one can find info?
esledo likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Denmark requires those flying into the country even for transit (to other countries) to meet the Danish testing requirement. So add CPH beside AMS.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Anything about FRA/MUC?
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by invisible
Thanks. Anything about FRA/MUC?
It depends on the country you are coming from. The German disease control agency puts each country into one of four categories.

For the highest category called virus variant area, a test is mandatory, no exceptions.

For the next two categories (high incidence area and risk area), a test result is mandatory but can be waived under certain conditions. The exception likely of most practical relevance is if you have an onward ticket for the next available flight towards your destination.

No test is required for countries not deemed a risk area (but there are very few of those...)
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain
It depends on the country you are coming from. The German disease control agency puts each country into one of four categories.
Once again - are we talking about transit without leaving secure area?
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Once again - are we talking about transit without leaving secure area?
Yes, as should be clear from my post. For instance, if flying JNB-FRA-XXX, where XXX is any other airport, you need a negative test, no exceptions. (Even if XXX is outside Schengen and you stay in transit/don't enter Germany).
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
On Jan 5th I went AGP-FRA-IAH with a overnight at the Hilton at the Squire. No testing needed, no one asked. I did get a PCR done for personal reasons at the testing site on the walkway between the Squire and terminal the next morning on my way to catch my flight to IAH. Had results before I landed in IAH. Also on return, a 3 hour transit in FRA and I did have a neg PCR for Spain entry but no one in FRA asked, this was Jan 11th.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PIJD
On Jan 5th I went AGP-FRA-IAH with a overnight at the Hilton at the Squire. No testing needed, no one asked. I did get a PCR done for personal reasons at the testing site on the walkway between the Squire and terminal the next morning on my way to catch my flight to IAH. Had results before I landed in IAH. Also on return, a 3 hour transit in FRA and I did have a neg PCR for Spain entry but no one in FRA asked, this was Jan 11th.
Your trip occurred before the PCR testing requirement for high incidence areas was introduced. On Jan. 5, they merely had the requirement for virus variant areas such as the UK but they hadn't declared any high incidence areas yet. By now, AGP is defined to be part of a high incidence area. Tests are generally required. Enforcement has supposedly much ramped up since then (according to forums, blogs, and daily press). As Spain is a high incidence, not a virus variant area, there is an exemption from the testing requirement if you can prove "transit through Germany via the fastest route, e.g. with a confirmed flight to a third county" [I'm quoting the foreign ministry].
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain
Yes, as should be clear from my post. For instance, if flying JNB-FRA-XXX, where XXX is any other airport, you need a negative test, no exceptions. (Even if XXX is outside Schengen and you stay in transit/don't enter Germany).
The flight is ZRH-FRA-NNN. LH sent following email. My reading of this email is that test for the transit not required.

Old Jan 25, 2021, 7:20 am
Suspended

The flight is ZRH-FRA-NNN. LH sent following email. My reading of this email is that test for the transit not required.
I concur. Switzerland is currently not listed as a high-incidence area (and it's not a virus variant area, either). It is classified as a risk area and as such transit pax do not need a test.

For the wiki, one might want to link the regularly updated RKI web site.

From what I understand, the new variants are on the rise in Switzerland. (I had the chance to attend a talk on the issue last week which was given by a biostatistician at ETH Zurich.) I'd monitor the web site I linked to closely as there's a chance Switzerland will be added to the virus variant list in the coming weeks in which case you would def need a negative test.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 8:19 am

German rules state (under section 'Test requirements on entry')- "No exceptions can be made for entry from virus variant areas. Those in transit from high-incidence areas and other risk areas are exempt from registration, testing and quarantine requirements under certain circumstances. This includes transit through a risk area without a stopover prior to entering Germany as well as transit through Germany via the fastest route, e.g. with a confirmed onward flight to a third country".

link- https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/e...lt/coronavirus

List of different area status can be found here- https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...te/EN-Tab.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.