Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Fined $4000 for flying 75hrs after Covid Test (vs. 72hrs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fined $4000 for flying 75hrs after Covid Test (vs. 72hrs)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are countless people who never become victims when requirements such as this are strictly enforced. Some might feel differently about this had the passenger infected 20 others who each infected 20 others and so on. And then 10 of those people had died in a superspreader event.

The point is not to catch people for having done this, but to deter them in the first place.
SeaMeFly likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:25 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by Productivity
Personally I don't find the fine disproportionate at all - we are in a worldwide pandemic. . . .
It certainly sounds like your sister in law tried to do the right thing, but if that got you out of a fine, then everybody would say that's what they were trying to do.
The criminal justice system in the Western world is based on culpability and intent -- not the result alone. This is derived from as far back as ancient moral codes, including the Bible.

Yes, anyone can claim that their intent was good rather than bad, but that's why we have courts and judges.

Originally Posted by :D!
So what would you find disproportionate then? $10000? $100000? 6 months in jail?
Exactly. This guy gets it.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
A fine in that range for an international travel violation that comes with heightened risk of endangering the public health doesn't seem excessive to me, but I would hope that if this fine is appealed that a unintentional, slim error would result in a substantial reduction in the fine. I would not want to see such a substantial reduction in the fine that it interrupts the following message: "don't push your luck".
This is reasonable. I don't think anyone on here is disturbed by the raw amount of the fine for an intentional, reckless, egregious, whatever... violation. But I hope Chile has a mechanism where a live person with some common sense can look at this individualized situation and find that it merits some leniency.

Last edited by LAX_Esq; Jan 24, 2021 at 7:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.