Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel after being vaccinated

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think you are all overthinking this on the basis of a questionable article in the press and working yourselves up into a worried state. This current reality will pass, variants or not. Things will get back to normal. There is no choice about that. Countries need to focus on rolling out the vaccine otherwise we will not get through this in a timely manner. They can keep one eye on what happens next, but there are countries out there that need to pull their vaccination fingers out first.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
Agree with you.
It would be wonderful if vaccination is the ticket to do unrestricted travels.
But the reality is, there're too many things we don't yet know about what being vaccinated means. Until we know, the same restrictions should be maintained for those who have and haven't been vaccinated.

I've received my 2 vaccine shots, but so far nothing has changed for me as far as travel restrictions, work rules, quarantine requirements in case of exposure, etc.
I'm eager to start traveling the world again. But the recent events such as the new variants have now got me more worried just over the past couple weeks.
Looks like Australia probably wont be fully opening borders until 2022+, even after their population is vaccinated because they want to see how transmission is impacted by the vaccine first. I wouldnt be surprised if many other countries take this same approach:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55699581
docsxx likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Expat_flyer1
Looks like Australia probably wont be fully opening borders until 2022+, even after their population is vaccinated because they want to see how transmission is impacted by the vaccine first. I wouldnt be surprised if many other countries take this same approach
Registered to comment - as a frequent traveller this kind of thing is absolutely killing me. Being low risk I doubt I'll be seeing a needle any time in 2021 anyway and being away from friends/family for so long isn't ideal. Depressing.
LETTERBOY, paulaf, docsxx and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by progetto
Registered to comment - as a frequent traveller this kind of thing is absolutely killing me. Being low risk I doubt I'll be seeing a needle any time in 2021 anyway and being away from friends/family for so long isn't ideal. Depressing.
The only narrative is covid, covid, and covid. Mental health, economies, and to a certain degree education, have all been affected for a lot of people not only because of travel bans but in the general scheme of things and are being ignored. They have to make travel, well everything, back to what it was before, and I really don't think they need to overegg any solution.
DTWflyer, Boraxo, cruisr and 10 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by danielonn
I was wondering it there could be an International Vaccine Database of all those who got a COVID and other Vaccines like the Flu Shot, Yellow Fever etc. that can be linked to your Drivers License/State ID/ Passports/ Global Entry etc. Airlines could require you to checkin starting at 72 hours before the flight and you would be assigned a Vaccine ID# to enter into the system much like you do for Global Entry and this will validate your Vaccine. While no Vaccine is 100 percent no PCR Test is 100 percent either.

Once your details are entered they are submitted to the Countries you will be Visiting and the International Country or Domestic location they will get information. If you are not vaccinated then you will be required to upload proof of a PCR Test up until Boarding the Flight and Airports could instill Rapid PCR Testing before you checkin and by the time you are checked in you would get the DOCs OK.

For those awaiting the results they will not be allowed to Checkin or go through Security or Exit Passport Control and will be in a special cordoned off area. If you get a test before then you would just give the printed results of any PCR Test not just specific Vendors.

Those who enter the Valid Vaccine# even at the time of checkin would potentially bypass the PCR Test but random secondary rapid PCR tests could be administered for non vaccinated travelers or for those who could not get a Vaccine at the airport much like Security Screening Questions to gather local data and once its been approved you are free to checkin. Those who are vaccinated would be allowed to take optional PCR tests for research.

Perhaps the airline could collect a PCR Test Fee as part of the ticket if you wish to take the Airport Test and it would be refunded if you could prove that you took a PCR test before checkin. Either way you would be covered.

Thoughts?
The problem with this in the United States is that the facilities providing the vaccines are giving people hand written post cards from the Centers for Disease Control that can easily be forged. Although I received my vaccines from a hospital that has meticulous record keeping, many of the vaccines in the US are given to people after filling out paper forms. The only way to prove that you are vaccinated would be to contact the administering facility or county health department. I am sure many of these records are going to end up lost or entered incorrectly in their computer systems. I also expect that there would be long waits for overwhelmed county health departments to verify and release the data.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
The reality is, that international travel is pretty much dead for most people until at least 2022 and even that is optimistic.

Covid has caused the world to literally circle the wagons and close down everything. There is no hurry to change anything until a sizable portion of the state/countries/world gets vaccinated.

Nothing else matters.

Governments are loving the power.

Non-essential international travel isn't coming back until 2022 optimistically if not 2023 at this point and in some places 2024.

Its easily going to be a decade until we can travel freely without some varation of quarenteens, vaccination papers, or other health theater B.S like we did in 2019.

It is, what it is.
Silver Fox, LETTERBOY and :D! like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:34 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Sums up:
It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Which vaccines will be deemed acceptable for travel waivers? I doubt we will be accepting visitors with the Chinese vaccine which has a 50% failure rate.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
The only narrative is covid, covid, and covid. Mental health, economies, and to a certain degree education, have all been affected for a lot of people not only because of travel bans but in the general scheme of things and are being ignored. They have to make travel, well everything, back to what it was before, and I really don't think they need to overegg any solution.

This and only this. They need to re-open everything pronto. They are responsible for separation of families, lost family businesses, suicide, and hundreds of thousands of tragedies that are not reported.
Boraxo, cruisr, BLV and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:39 pm

It appears that the Seychelles has jumped on the vaccine tourism bus. Sadly, I have two free tickets to SEZ in the beginning of March (courtesy of QR and their heroes promotion), but there is zero chance I will be getting a vaccine by then. My SO already has received his second dose as a hospital employee, but I am in the very last group, despite being an essential employee working in critical infrastructure.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by downinit
It appears that the Seychelles has jumped on the vaccine tourism bus. Sadly, I have two free tickets to SEZ in the beginning of March (courtesy of QR and their heroes promotion), but there is zero chance I will be getting a vaccine by then. My SO already has received his second dose as a hospital employee, but I am in the very last group, despite being an essential employee working in critical infrastructure.
I got excited reading this, thinking that you could get vaccinated while on holiday in the Seychelles but sadly it seems that this just related to having a requirement for vaccination.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I got excited reading this, thinking that you could get vaccinated while on holiday in the Seychelles but sadly it seems that this just related to having a requirement for vaccination.
As much as I wish it were that simple, I am actually quite pleasantly surprised to see that there has been very little of this on offer...at least for the time being. Offering up vaccines to the highest bidder is inevitable, but it is definitely not a good thing in the grand scheme of this pandemic.
:D! likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:58 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Which vaccines will be deemed acceptable for travel waivers?
None. WHO advises against any kind of vaccine waivers.

Restrictions will be relaxed when vulnerable groups are protected and covid becomes just another dissease. Individual vaccination status has nothing to do with it.
LETTERBOY and progol like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:44 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by the810
None. WHO advises against any kind of vaccine waivers.

Restrictions will be relaxed when vulnerable groups are protected and covid becomes just another dissease. Individual vaccination status has nothing to do with it.
I have a feeling that many countries and airlines will end up not following what the WHO advises which can already be seen with what the Seychelles have just announced, allowing those who have been vaccinated to enter without quarantine and of course Qantas already announcing a while ago that only vaccinated passengers will be able to board their flights.

(CNN) — The Seychelles has reopened its borders and dropped quarantine requirements to all travelers who've been vaccinated against Covid-19.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/s...ers/index.html

I don't agree with vaccine waivers, at least until there is more clarity if how effective it is, not only for the one who has been vaccinated but also those this person comes in close contact with, but it looks like it's something we'll have to get used to, at least in the short to midterm future.
LETTERBOY and gruimed like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Expat_flyer1
Looks like Australia probably wont be fully opening borders until 2022+, even after their population is vaccinated because they want to see how transmission is impacted by the vaccine first. I wouldnt be surprised if many other countries take this same approach:
Two things:
1. "Fully reopened borders" is a very general phrase. You're reading it as "borders will stay closed." But it can mean anything from "borders will stay closed" to "borders will be open but with restrictions." And those restrictions can be anything from onerous (vaccine + covid test + 14 days' quarantine) to basically a joke (a forehead temperature check).

2. There are 11 months left in 2021. Where was the world 11 months ago? How much has changed in those 11 months?
RDUdrifter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.