Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How is the US going to Provide COVID-19 Immunization Certification?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is the US going to Provide COVID-19 Immunization Certification?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Glue stick'ed in the back of my passport. Until there is an accepted standard It's no more or less legal for travel in general than the yellow fever card or the Vaccination booklet. As of 02/02/2021 Japan isn't accepting it for entry.
Gluing stuff into your passport technically constitutes a mutilation that makes the passport invalid 😳
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:38 pm

I think the CDC should have just mandated the use of the ICVP/Yellow Card for tracking Covid-19 vaccinations. It would have been much more useful intentionally.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
There is, of course, the button:
Given after the first shot

Not mine unfortunately
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 2:06 am

Programs: Delta SM
I'm a dual US-Israeli citizen. Once Israel reopens the airport, I'm considering going there to get a vaccine because I know it'll be significantly quicker than my turn in the states.

My issue is that I'm worried about the Israeli Hebrew language documentation when entering countries like Malaysia who have bad relations with Israel, even if I'm using an American passport. If all countries adopt the IATA app, it'll just be a green check and won't really matter, but if we go with a country-by-country approach I would consider waiting until it's my turn in the US... Any thoughts?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 4:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by ruby&carlos
I'm a dual US-Israeli citizen. Once Israel reopens the airport, I'm considering going there to get a vaccine because I know it'll be significantly quicker than my turn in the states.

My issue is that I'm worried about the Israeli Hebrew language documentation when entering countries like Malaysia who have bad relations with Israel, even if I'm using an American passport. If all countries adopt the IATA app, it'll just be a green check and won't really matter, but if we go with a country-by-country approach I would consider waiting until it's my turn in the US... Any thoughts?
As a dual citizen passport holder I’ve always used discretion when entering a country that isn’t friendly with Israel with my US passport even countries like Malaysia or Brunei by keeping any Israeli entries on one passport.
sapman986 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 4:55 am

As a dual citizen passport holder I’ve always used discretion when entering a country that isn’t friendly with Israel with my US passport even countries like Malaysia or Brunei by keeping any Israeli entries on one passport.
Sure, I do the same. Which is why I wonder how border control would respond to an American passport and Israeli vaccine certificate.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 5:09 am

Sure, I do the same. Which is why I wonder how border control would respond to an American passport and Israeli vaccine certificate.
You could politely request that they mark both passports. But, personally I'm not holding my breath waiting for an internationally accepted form. I keep my vaccine/immunization information 'soft' tacked in my primary passport.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 5:24 am

You could politely request that they mark both passports. But, personally I'm not holding my breath waiting for an internationally accepted form. I keep my vaccine/immunization information 'soft' tacked in my primary passport.
As far as I can tell, Israel's vaccine system isn't marking passports, only issuing a separate certificate with Hebrew and my Israeli identity card/passport numbers all over it.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:09 am

As far as I can tell, Israel's vaccine system isn't marking passports, only issuing a separate certificate with Hebrew and my Israeli identity card/passport numbers all over it.
So same problem, When /if you get your shot(s) in Israel any documents would not be well accepted is some countries. For what it's worth my official U.S. certificate and $10.00 will get me a coffee at starbucks. I haven't seen anywhere that I still don't have to test every two weeks more often if the government here decides for preflight testing or avoid any quarantines.
sapman986 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
I have the card distributed in the US. Now I have had my second shot I plan to enter my passport number on this card where it says pt number - in most cases it's being left empty and then having it laminated. I hope that an international recognizable proof of vaccine comes along soon, sounds like this is becoming more likely. It'll certainly help tourist-dependent countries.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by dwugson
I have the card distributed in the US. Now I have had my second shot I plan to enter my passport number on this card where it says pt number - in most cases it's being left empty and then having it laminated. I hope that an international recognizable proof of vaccine comes along soon, sounds like this is becoming more likely. It'll certainly help tourist-dependent countries.
Good idea ,
You need an official looking rubber stamp or two ,
but mine does not even have my name on it !
time for another rubber stamp
Old Feb 18, 2021, 1:50 am

I really don't understand why every country doing vaccinnations aren't administering or adding to existing yellow international proof of vaccination cards like they hand out for yellow fever.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 5:21 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Actually you can order blank Yellow Cards from the US Government Printing Office as well as commercial sellers. The yellow fever vaccine doesn't have to be administered by a local US health authority, but the provider giving the injection does have to be authorized by the state health agency in order to do so. Mine was given by a travel clinic doctor, not my state or county health agency - most of which do not even provide the service in my state.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/ye...rs%20to%20CDC.

Any doctor can become authorized and administer the shot. The CDC maintains a directory of authorized providers that is easy to look up:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/se...amaril-clinics

Do you know what happens if the pharmacy that administered the COVID vaccine does not have a stamp to place on the yellow card?

Last edited by txp; Feb 21, 2021 at 5:57 pm
Old Feb 21, 2021, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by txp
Do you happen to know what happens if the pharmacy who administered the COVID vaccine does not have a stamp to place on the yellow card?
There is no “official” Covid stamp and it’s doubtful that anyone will fill out your yellow card (we don’t record your annual flu vaccine or tetanus boosters on your yellow card either). I suppose you can transfer the information from your Covid record card yourself.

The Covid record card is not intended to be legal proof of vaccination. It’s mostly to make sure that your second vaccine is matched to your first and is not being administered too early.
LETTERBOY and nerdbirdsjc like this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 8:31 pm

In the short term the cdc cards and a doctor's note confirming getting the vaccine is probably fine.

But long term it should be quite easy to build an app that reads the Immunization Database that every US state maintains, which contains the exact Pfizer/Moderna lot number someone got and at what date.

You can right now go to your own state's immunization records database (just google it to find the link to your specific state's record website), and create an account to read your own records that exist in the system. E.g. https://wa.myir.net/ for WA state, create an account with my name and I see the following:

It should not be too difficult to build an app that reads the above data to provide a vaccine pass for WA state residents to allow them entry to concerts etc happening in WA state. Same for any other state. Or at the least just require a printout/screenshot above to show around if no one wants to build the app.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.