Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How is the US going to Provide COVID-19 Immunization Certification?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is the US going to Provide COVID-19 Immunization Certification?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:12 am

I’d say that the record of vaccination should be issued similar to a visa on a passport. Make it hard to forge and verifiable with a database. It’s hard to forge a central database.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Bear96
I think the concern is more that people may not want to get vaccinated for whatever reason, but want to hold themselves out as if they have been so they can travel.
The intersection between the group wanting to travel internationally with the group who doesn't want to vaccinate with the group willing and able to forge vaccination documentation is so small that forgery won't be an issue.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Catbert10
The intersection between the group wanting to travel internationally with the group who doesn't want to vaccinate with the group willing and able to forge vaccination documentation is so small that forgery won't be an issue.
I suggest that US travel to warm weather tourist hotspots this season may indicate that some of what may have been true in prior years may no longer be as clear cut a situation now or tomorrow. Most people won't be willing to engage in fraud to do international travel, but I think that the more hoops there are to jump to travel abroad, the more likely there turns out to be people who finds themselves in a situation where they consider doing -- and then actually do -- things which they shouldn't be doing since it invites being prosecuted for a crime.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by nd2010
I’d say that the record of vaccination should be issued similar to a visa on a passport. Make it hard to forge and verifiable with a database. It’s hard to forge a central database.
See my posts below, would take far too long to link vaccination records through passport databases to make this realistic for 2021-2022 resumption of travel. Although I agree with you, we are decades away from the global consensus needed to achieve what you correctly say is technically possible today - something called politics and NOT wanting to be accountable for the mistakes made in other countries generally reigns in this kind of inter-state policy decision-making.

Originally Posted by Catbert10
You are looking at this from the end of the generally legitimate travelers, whereas border control policies start with the premise that even the smallest error in interdiction efforts can cause major calamity - which is a clear lesson from the 9/11 Commission that errors were made in processing just a handful of people at both Embassies abroad and then upon arrival at U.S. Ports-of-Entry.

Rather, as I explained below, would only take few forgeries to create havoc amongst border control agencies everywhere. Forgery of the U.N. WHO compliant Yellow Book already exists, and as countries are all making up their own C-19 vaccination records, how will a border control agency in another country know what is real and what is not.

Unfortunately, in the world of border controls that I know well, only takes a VERY FEW bad apples to make cross-border travel difficult for everyone else.
worldiswide and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by skybluesea
See my posts below, would take far too long to link vaccination records through passport databases to make this realistic for 2021-2022 resumption of travel. Although I agree with you, we are decades away from the global consensus needed to achieve what you correctly say is technically possible today - something called politics and NOT wanting to be accountable for the mistakes made in other countries generally reigns in this kind of inter-state policy decision-making.

You are looking at this from the end of the generally legitimate travelers, whereas border control policies start with the premise that even the smallest error in interdiction efforts can cause major calamity - which is a clear lesson from the 9/11 Commission that errors were made in processing just a handful of people at both Embassies abroad and then upon arrival at U.S. Ports-of-Entry.

Rather, as I explained below, would only take few forgeries to create havoc amongst border control agencies everywhere. Forgery of the U.N. WHO compliant Yellow Book already exists, and as countries are all making up their own C-19 vaccination records, how will a border control agency in another country know what is real and what is not.

Unfortunately, in the world of border controls that I know well, only takes a VERY FEW bad apples to make cross-border travel difficult for everyone else.
I think eventually for longer duration visa applications many countries may require antibody testing to demonstrate response to a COVID-19 vaccination (or evidence of previous exposure), as is currently the case for hepatitis B, measles and rubella antibodies for healthcare workers. For shorter duration travel, I think once the pandemic has died down and nationals have been immunised then many countries will accept a certificate of some sort from foreign travellers. It is just too costly for everyone to get antibody testing and I am not certain many countries have the capacity to provide it en masse.

However, this is all dependent on being able to produce a reliable antibody test which can be used in this way and at scale.
skybluesea and QT31415 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Likely something involving Distributed Ledger Technology, which is similar to blockchain.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 7:51 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I wonder to what extent it may or not be possible to add data like this to the chip of biometric passports (incl those already issued).

​​​​That being said, I don't really think this will be as big as some people expect. Travel restrictions will be lifted depending on the overal course of the pandemic, not individual vaccination status. As long as the pandemic continues, there will be very little appetite to resume travel, especially while it remains uknown whether vaccinated people can spread the virus. Remember, we've had immune people around for months and so far very few countries introduced exceptions for them (despite natural immunity providing better protection than vaccines).
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Your Yellow Booklet was issued by a local US health authority under the auspices of US federal law, which enacted globally agreed-to standards for the format and contents of the Yellow Booklet so its data is recognized and accepted as authoritative by foreign governments.

If Staples, for example, started selling yellow books titled "My Vaccinations", and your doctor filled its pages with vaccine data, no foreign government would (or ought to) accept it as valid.
Actually you can order blank Yellow Cards from the US Government Printing Office as well as commercial sellers. The yellow fever vaccine doesn't have to be administered by a local US health authority, but the provider giving the injection does have to be authorized by the state health agency in order to do so. Mine was given by a travel clinic doctor, not my state or county health agency - most of which do not even provide the service in my state.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/ye...rs%20to%20CDC.

According to International Health Regulations, yellow fever vaccine must be administered at certified yellow fever vaccination centers. Health-care providers are authorized to administer the vaccine by state health departments and the states then report certified providers to CDC.
Any doctor can become authorized and administer the shot. The CDC maintains a directory of authorized providers that is easy to look up:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/se...amaril-clinics
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 2:02 am

Why not have an electronic Database linked to the Passport and ESTA system. 72 hours before flying you log in,confirm you have no COVID symptoms. The info is linked to your Passport/GOES/State ID. A DOCS OK is printed on your Boarding Pass for Domestic and International Travel along with a QR Code automatically uploaded to the airline system and Passport Authorities much like an ESTA Visa.

Perhaps requiring E-Visas and having for instance the US Dept of Health maintain an electronic Database of all vaccinated people ranging from Yellow Fever,Influenza to COVID. Airlines also have access to the system to verify vaccination and can deny the passenger boarding. If a passenger cannot get a vaccine or is refusing to do so other means would be required for boarding.

A paper vaccine record can get easily lost.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 12:35 pm

got my first shot yesterday at Dodger stadium ,

I was given a small credit card size card with the date for my second shot , plus I am in their database to get email and text updates,

Hopefully I will get a "fancy" card when I get the second shot to prove i have had both shots , and maybe a QR code that the airlines can read,
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Given the fragmented nature of healthcare in this country I’m not optimistic that such certificate is even possible, there are many different ways and places to get immunized. People move from state to state or move out of the country, which makes it difficult to track them. Unless, you have access to the VA system, the rest of us either have no health insurance or health insurance from work, which changes from time to time.
VCURamFan likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by i0wnj00
Given the fragmented nature of healthcare in this country I’m not optimistic that such certificate is even possible, there are many different ways and places to get immunized. People move from state to state or move out of the country, which makes it difficult to track them. Unless, you have access to the VA system, the rest of us either have no health insurance or health insurance from work, which changes from time to time.
The certificate is possible as to whether it is completely accepted by our fragmented healthcare system is a completely different story. I have a odd sized white card with CDC and HHS logos. On it is the vaccine information with lot and date code and is stamped over the info. I have been tested every two weeks and still need to do so. So it and a dollar will get me a cup of coffee.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I have a odd sized white card with CDC and HHS logos. On it is the vaccine information with lot and date code and is stamped over the info. I have been tested every two weeks and still need to do so. So it and a dollar will get me a cup of coffee.
Agree. Probably just like this? 4"x3".

Old Feb 4, 2021, 4:34 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
got my first shot yesterday at Dodger stadium ,

I was given a small credit card size card with the date for my second shot , plus I am in their database to get email and text updates,

Hopefully I will get a "fancy" card when I get the second shot to prove i have had both shots , and maybe a QR code that the airlines can read,
Fancy card after the second shot??
That is not going to happen
Originally Posted by SFO777
Agree. Probably just like this? 4"x3".

The above is what you get. Your second shot is just added below the first shot.

I have this card filled out. I trimmed the edges so that it would fit into my wallet, and now I carry evidence of vaccination.

However, I highly doubt that this would suffice for any international travel documentation.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by radonc1
Fancy card after the second shot??
That is not going to happen

The above is what you get. Your second shot is just added below the first shot.

I have this card filled out. I trimmed the edges so that it would fit into my wallet, and now I carry evidence of vaccination.

However, I highly doubt that this would suffice for any international travel documentation.
Glue stick'ed in the back of my passport. Until there is an accepted standard It's no more or less legal for travel in general than the yellow fever card or the Vaccination booklet. As of 02/02/2021 Japan isn't accepting it for entry.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.