Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gambling on 2021 - where?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Gambling on 2021 - where?

We don't like the thought of booking travel far in advance at the moment, and our recent successful trip to Cyprus we only booked a few days before.

However we are both teachers and won the 'free' Qatar airways ticket offer, which is valid until end of summer next year but must be booked by the end of this month. Annoyingly this feels like a big gamble: that things will be normal enough for us to (1) not be in a don't travel lockdown and (2) the destination lets us in. Even though the ticket is free, you have to pay taxes and those seem quite steep. Not to mention the problem of actually finding somewhere both 'open' and that Qatar has W class fares available during peak travel periods, which is the only time we can travel.

We could book over the Easter holidays but that is an extra big gamble as we cannot quarantine due to work and if the quarantine is around for wherever we book, we cannot travel.

So my thinking just now is to book somewhere for the first two weeks fo the summer holidays, since quarantine is then not an issue (ideally we will and back in the UK and immediately head somewhere else...), but then I want to book somewhere most likely to allow us in without any issues at that stage. (Ideally, it wouldn't be somewhere with rampant covid, ie no local restrictions on containment at all, as the next destination could require a covid test and I would rather not test positive.)

I understand end of June 2021 is a very long time away, but I either book over the next few days, or lose the offer!

Where would you suggest we aim for? Since it is Qatar from Europe, it means it can't be places in the Western hemisphere that they would not sell to us (like Mexico).

Two places that spring to mind are Maldives and Tanzania. Tanzania feels less reliable so Maldives maybe a safer bet. But not sure if the weather at the end of June is exactly ideal. I considered Seychelles and Mauritius too but their entry conditions seem crazy so that seems a huge gamble.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Tanzania was previously mentioned as being fairly relaxed with their rules, so I expect that they will remain open throughout the crisis. While flying from Europe to Africa via Doha is a bit of a detour, it's a fairly safe choice in my opinion.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 2:47 am

2 weeks in Maldives can be very expensive, and more if you end up testing positive there. Pick Tanzania, summer is supposed to be the best time to see the Serengeti migration
Old Oct 21, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I am sort of i the same boat, but looking at earlier. Trying to go someplace warm for week of swimming in Feb/March. Right now. the Maldives are looking like the safest, but most expensive, bet.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 4:03 am
Original Poster

My concern with Tanzania, assuming things are as they are now, would be the lack of travel insurance to cover for any issues while there - whether covid or not - and the health facilities. :/
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:14 am

First, well done on winning!

Second... from reading what you're saying (high taxes, limited flexibility, issue with potential refunds) I'd actually wonder if it's worth the effort. I might be tainted by my distaste for Qatar Airways, but if all you have going for this trip is the fact that the airfare is for free... I'd rather wait, save some money and actually go somewhere you want to go, when you can be sure (or as sure as one can be) that it can be done.
boss315 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Dan1113
My concern with Tanzania, assuming things are as they are now, would be the lack of travel insurance to cover for any issues while there - whether covid or not - and the health facilities. :/
Have you looked at battleface? We bought insurance from then when we travelled to France in the summer against the ABE diktat. Didn't need to use it thankfully, so don't know how good they are if needed, but they do cover (including for Covid medical claims).
Old Oct 22, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
The title of this thread says it all

"Gambling" on 2021 "no" where
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by radonc1

Excuse me?
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:53 am

Are you paying taxes or fees to Qatar? Those should be refundable if the trip falls thru. Also, the value of the ticket would be added to you income tax as income but again, only if you take the trip. When booking make sure you price out the trip on QR in the same class of service and make a screen shot so you can use that fare instead of what QR tells you (likely the full W fare) for your tax return. Where to travel? I'd pick Japan and hope for the best.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Yes, I think you have to pay all taxes and fees. Though there was something like a £500 no-show fee (and a £300ish cancellation fee...) so if I were to try to get any money back for not taking the flight, I am not sure I would get anything as they would surely then try to charge those fees.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:24 am

Yes, I think you have to pay all taxes and fees. Though there was something like a £500 no-show fee (and a £300ish cancellation fee...) so if I were to try to get any money back for not taking the flight, I am not sure I would get anything as they would surely then try to charge those fees.
I am not familiar with the promo - do you have a link to the terms? That would likely get you some good responses.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Sadly I don't see any terms at all - just basing my comments off of some posts on the Qatar forum of teachers who have booked and posted the conditions!

Actually I found them.

• Complimentary tickets are limited to the “W” booking class in the Economy Class Promo fare family.
  • When the Complimentary Flight Promo Code is used, the 'fare per passenger' and the "carrier imposed international surcharge" amounts, found in the Price Breakdown after flight selection, will be waived. However, any other taxes, service fees or standard market charges will be payable by passengers and will be displayed at the time of booking.
  • Qatar Airways will not be liable for refunds if a customer fails to enter the Complimentary Flight Promo Code during the flight search process and ended up paying a higher fare resulting from not following the above-mentioned process.
  • Successful participants will be entitled to make one booking only using the Complimentary Flight Promo Code. If more than one booking is made by the same participant, the first booking will be retained and any subsequent bookings will be automatically cancelled without prior notice.
  • The Complimentary Flight Promo Code cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion.
  • Seats are limited and are subject to availability, once the Complimentary Flight Promo Code is received, please redeem on qatarairways.com at the earliest convenience.
  • In case of involuntary flight cancellation or re-routing, the passenger can refer to the latest Travel With Confidence policy for more details.
  • Other terms and conditions apply, please refer to the fare rules at the time of booking for more details on change fees and stay conditions pertaining to the booking class included in the offer.
What it does not say which I would really like to know if that if we suddenly have a quarantine issue for example, can we then take a voucher or change the date/location/etc under the travel with confidence policy, or is it only due to cancellations from QR's part.

And this is what someone shared on the other forum.

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg333
For those of you wondering what the change & cancellation charges are, here's what I see when I try to change the itinerary:

​​​​​​​
Old Oct 23, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA

Excuse me?
Your title says it all,

The presumption is that international travel is going to be reasonably normal in the summer of 2021.

Yet that is now only 8 months away. (Hard to believe, really).

Even if you get an effective vaccine in the next month (hard to believe), the overall vaccination rate will still not have covered enough people to open up international travel by next summer. Even if the vaccine were perfect in it's function, it still takes time to develop population immunity and have that resistance suppress the rate of viral infection in the community..

So what I am saying is that, yes, congrats on winning a prize that may not have much benefit to you. You certainly can pick a location, but expecting that location to actually be functional or not locked down is pure speculation.

I suspect that "gambling" is the one of the possible meanings of the word "speculation". And "nowhere" is one of the possible answers to your question.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Your title says it all,

The presumption is that international travel is going to be reasonably normal in the summer of 2021.

Yet that is now only 8 months away. (Hard to believe, really).

Even if you get an effective vaccine in the next month (hard to believe), the overall vaccination rate will still not have covered enough people to open up international travel by next summer. Even if the vaccine were perfect in it's function, it still takes time to develop population immunity and have that resistance suppress the rate of viral infection in the community..

So what I am saying is that, yes, congrats on winning a prize that may not have much benefit to you. You certainly can pick a location, but expecting that location to actually be functional or not locked down is pure speculation.

I suspect that "gambling" is the one of the possible meanings of the word "speculation". And "nowhere" is one of the possible answers to your question.
The whole presumption of this thread is exactly the point that travel next summer may very well NOT be normal at all, thus asking for suggestions of the "safest bets" for where to book in order to avail of this "free" ticket that I have won. If I was actually expecting normality or something close to it next summer, this thread would be irrelevant as I would feel equally comfortable booking Cape Town as I would Dar Es Salaam or anywhere else. (I didn't mean gambling as in gambling that it'll all be normal.)

I understand it is speculation but considering I have to book by 01 November if I wish to use the offer, I was just hoping to gain some insights to decide whether I dare risk the tax cash element and hope it goes ok.

We did six weeks of travel over summer and just came back a few days ago from a week and a bit away (and all went smoothly), so leisure travel with some planning and work is certainly possible, but of course, with added complications just now.
the810 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.