Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

AMS transit/connection questions [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS transit/connection questions [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2021, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KYflyer
Transiting AMS from MAN to DTW next week - has anybody recent experience with PCR/Antigen test document checks in AMS while transiting from D to E concourse? I presume that docs will be checked in MAN upon check in (test will be done 48 hours prior). On the way over from ATL, the document check in AMS for the MAN connecting flight was a nightmare, with a document-check line stretching nearly 1/4 mile down concourse D and into the main concourse area - many people missed connecting flights.
Flights to the UK have specific screening, unlike flights to US. To US if on DL, they'll scan passport and ask the questions. You'll hand in attestation form to agent that scans BP.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
Just got in from AMS on Sunday. Delta Metal staffed by KLM staff at the screening desk at the Gate. KLM staff only interested in the Attestation Forms. Walked on to plane with our two Antigen Tests ($186 x 2)...

DHS/Customs check at BOS and Final flight to LAX...

Not once was our tests checked.

In the immortal words of Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols... "Ever felt like you've been cheated?"
arunhn likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
My government agency travel authority has recommended NOT transiting through AMS until the situation changes. Some people breeze through. Other people have been prevented from proceeding despite abiding by rules etc.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
Transmitted AMS coming from BCN to the US on 9/18. They checked our COVID tests leaving BCN but not leaving AMS. We had the attestation form completed before leaving BCN but they had forms in AMS.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Hepsaint
Just got in from AMS on Sunday. Delta Metal staffed by KLM staff at the screening desk at the Gate. KLM staff only interested in the Attestation Forms. Walked on to plane with our two Antigen Tests ($186 x 2)...

DHS/Customs check at BOS and Final flight to LAX...

Not once was our tests checked.

In the immortal words of Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols... "Ever felt like you've been cheated?"
Only thing airline is required to collect is the form. However they should have looked at test when checking in.

Beyond that the CDC is responsible for doing spot checks randomly on flights to ensure compliance.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
My government agency travel authority has recommended NOT transiting through AMS until the situation changes. Some people breeze through. Other people have been prevented from proceeding despite abiding by rules etc.
To US, to Schengen, or to other countries? This should only be issue if going to other Schengen countries.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 5:31 am

Programs: DL/DM, Hilton Honors DM
Update: From MAN to AMS on KL, pcr test document viewed at checkin, but boarding passes for DL segments not available due to "document check required in AMS" - according to agent. In AMS, transfer booths would not print DL boarding passes - "unexpected error occurred" - sought out human at T6 desk - PCR documents reviewed and boarding passes issued. Attestation forms collected at boarding gate but nobody asked for pcr documents again. Upon arrival at DTW, nobody cared - through I&C in about 5 minutes combined (even priority bags were on belt 10" after landing).
Old Sep 23, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
US transit through AMS to Italy

We are scheduled to leave on Tuesday for a quick trip to Italy. Our flight is ATL-AMS-MXP. We are fully vaccinated and will be getting a rapid antigen test on Monday. Is there any reason to be concerned about transiting through AMS? I just saw that AMS is requiring a mandatory 5 day quarantine for visitors. The information that I've read says that transiting doesn't count towards that. Just want to make sure that I don't run into any gotchas while we're traveling. This will be our first international travel since Covid and there is just so much to stay on top of it seems.

Thanks.
altabello likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
you're fine
IDtoTX likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Quarantine is no longer needed when entering the Netherlands (when transfering through AMS pax didn't need to quarantine anyway) . FYI in case you want to enter the Netherlands, the rules on self-quarantining for people travelling to the Netherlands did change as of 22 September. Vaccinated travellers from very high risk areas such as the United States or the United Kingdom no longer have to self-quarantine on arrival in the Netherlands.
IDtoTX and altabello like this.

Last edited by Grouchy; Sep 23, 2021 at 9:53 am
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:56 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In "theory" the "attestation form" is a FEDERAL DOCUMENT, giving false information can incur hefty fines.
[At one time NYS required pax arriving by plane to complete a health form (plus COVID test results--the way it worked that was on the honor system), BUT National Guardmen/woman were SCREAMING at arrivals: "there is a $10,000 fine for not completing the form"--I wonder if anyone was ever fined.]
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL
Finally rebooked a SLC-AMS-ZRH & return trip for 2022 (originally booked for 2020). One US citizen, & one European (German) spouse (permanent resident in US). As of right now, as vaccinated travelers, can we leave the airport, go to the city and return for the AMS-ZRH portion? I can either book a tighter connection, or spend the day in Amsterdam after landing in the morning, and then continue to ZRH in the late afternoon. First time flying since COVID, so uncertain what to expect. Fully vaccinated, willing to provide tests as needed...
How about entering ZRH when coming from AMS? Will we have to show tests/vaccine cards again? Can we get the QR code/app once we're in Europe, so we don't have to show our vaccine cards?
On the way back: Covid check is in ZRH (for US entry), but immigration check in AMS? Last time (before Covid), ~90 minutes was enough in AMS, is that still sufficient? Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2021, 5:29 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by altabello
Finally rebooked a SLC-AMS-ZRH & return trip for 2022 (originally booked for 2020). One US citizen, & one European (German) spouse (permanent resident in US). As of right now, as vaccinated travelers, can we leave the airport, go to the city and return for the AMS-ZRH portion? I can either book a tighter connection, or spend the day in Amsterdam after landing in the morning, and then continue to ZRH in the late afternoon. First time flying since COVID, so uncertain what to expect. Fully vaccinated, willing to provide tests as needed...
How about entering ZRH when coming from AMS? Will we have to show tests/vaccine cards again? Can we get the QR code/app once we're in Europe, so we don't have to show our vaccine cards?
On the way back: Covid check is in ZRH (for US entry), but immigration check in AMS? Last time (before Covid), ~90 minutes was enough in AMS, is that still sufficient? Thanks!
On Aug. 17/18 I flew JFK-AMS-ZRH, in AMS they asked if I had filled out the SWISS health/travel entry form and I had a CDC card, I offered to show tese to the passport control agent, she said it's OK! In ZRH no one checked anything. Things may be different NOW. Hopefully FTers will post their experiences.
altabello likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 4:26 am

Question for all. I have an upcoming flight on KLM - BUD-AMS-JFK - departing from BUD at 3pm local time.

Received the following email from KLM. I understand I should be good with a rapid antigen test but The US requirement is 3 calendar days prior but the email states 72hours prior to my flight.

Is that my first flight or my ams-jfk flight?

Second related question, if first flight, should I be okay getting a rapid antigen test on Monday 3pm for the Thursday 3pm flight?

Travel requirements for your destination: A NEGATIVE NAAT (PCR), LAMP or RAPID TEST RESULT FOR COVID‑19
based on a sample that was taken within 72 hours before your flight. Even if you are vaccinated against COVID‑19, a negative COVID‑19 test result is still required for boarding.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 4:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Should I expect any problems if flying LHR - AMS - WAW?

Poland accepting NHS app vaccination records (as alternative to PCR test) and so will AMS be aware of this and not ask to see any PCR test result as I go through passport control into the schengen area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.