Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

AMS transit/connection questions [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS transit/connection questions [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:33 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spryam
I am transiting BCN - AMS - USA in 2 weeks. Obviously I have to have a negative COVID test to return to USA. Do I need to fill out some form as well? So many changes lately. Hard to keep up with it all.
In addition to a negative COVID test, the USA requires an “attestation document” (attesting that you had a negative test within the last 3 days.) On 8/24 I flew ZRH-AMS-JFK, the DL agents in AMS collected the “attestation form”, they were not interested in seeing my negative COVID test certification document.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
Originally Posted by xliioper
So is transit allowed from US only if you are going to non-EU/Schengen countries? Or can you transit to EU/Schengen countries countries as long as you have vaccination and negative test result and meet whatever entry requirements they have for US pax?
Since the US is labeled as a "very high risk area" but not as a "very high risk area due to a virus variant of concern" there is an exemption to the EU entry ban when vaccinated, so you can transit to EU/Schengen countries (providing of course you meet the entry requirements of your destination). This whole thing is a mess...
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:28 pm

I was interested in whether I could transit US-AMS-Dusseldorf but taking train as connection from Schipol. I would of course have to exit secured area and go to train station at the lower level. I would at minimum need to have a prepurchased the train ticket to show at US departure, covid test prior to departure and fill out entry form for NL. Anyone see anything that clearly precludes this?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xooz
I was interested in whether I could transit US-AMS-Dusseldorf but taking train as connection from Schipol. I would of course have to exit secured area and go to train station at the lower level. I would at minimum need to have a prepurchased the train ticket to show at US departure, covid test prior to departure and fill out entry form for NL. Anyone see anything that clearly precludes this?
Nope. It'll be treated same as if you were going by plane by the Dutch. Getting a DL agent to understand that might be different issue. V
xooz likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by xooz
You would also need to bring your vax card, since vax is required to meet the EU entry ban exemption.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Dutch101
You would also need to bring your vax card, since vax is required to meet the EU entry ban exemption.
Correct.... I left out that crucial component.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by Dutch101
Except nobody checks any vax cards in AMS. The airport is really not set up to check anything for Schengen to Schengen or non Schengen to non Schengen connections.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by drminn
Except nobody checks any vax cards in AMS. The airport is really not set up to check anything for Schengen to Schengen or non Schengen to non Schengen connections.
True for in-airport transfers if you don't enter or exit Schengen. Connections to the train station require you to go through Immigration/Customs at AMS. the EU governments have shifted the burden of determining entry requirements to the airlines, so it is a fair bet that you will be asked upon check in regardless.

Last edited by Dutch101; Sep 7, 2021 at 9:30 am
Old Sep 7, 2021, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by drminn
Immigration does ask for vaccination proof. Just went through AMS immigration arriving from Romania (non-Schengen despite being in EU). Sane when I arrived two weeks ago in AMS from US.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
I have a slightly different experience when I travelled LHR-AMS a few weeks ago. At the BA checkin counter there was severe scrutiny of all my documents and a lot of people were turned away. However on arrival in AMS there was not a single check. I could use the automated gates and walked into the country without a single check.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:02 am

Programs: DL/DM, Hilton Honors DM
AMS transit to US - COVID check?

Transiting AMS from MAN to DTW next week - has anybody recent experience with PCR/Antigen test document checks in AMS while transiting from D to E concourse? I presume that docs will be checked in MAN upon check in (test will be done 48 hours prior). On the way over from ATL, the document check in AMS for the MAN connecting flight was a nightmare, with a document-check line stretching nearly 1/4 mile down concourse D and into the main concourse area - many people missed connecting flights.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by KYflyer
Transiting AMS from MAN to DTW next week - has anybody recent experience with PCR/Antigen test document checks in AMS while transiting from D to E concourse? I presume that docs will be checked in MAN upon check in (test will be done 48 hours prior). On the way over from ATL, the document check in AMS for the MAN connecting flight was a nightmare, with a document-check line stretching nearly 1/4 mile down concourse D and into the main concourse area - many people missed connecting flights.
US bound is almost a non-event, speaking from my experience last week. KLM should check your COVID test at origin (MAN). At the gate in AMS they will have a table with US attestation forms (and pens) which it seems 98% of passengers haven’t prepared beforehand. If you want to be ahead of the game you may want to print, sign and bring your own attestation form which will streamline your boarding process in AMS - I did this and was able to avoid the scrum to sign the form before boarding.

Form:
https://www.delta.com/content/dam/de...210120-rlp.pdf

Source:
https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-p...go/attestation
altabello likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: DL/DM, Hilton Honors DM
Thanks for the heads up, WidgetoftheSkies
Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:15 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
On 8/24 I connected ZRH-AMS-JFK. I filled out my "attestaton form" the day before. At the gate in AMS there were several agents with moveable workstations verifying pp and the "attestation form", when I offered to show my negative covid test they weren't interested in seeing it.
On 8/17-18 flying JFK-AMS-ZRH at pp control in AMS I was the only passenger (I had wheelchair assistance, perhaps I had a specia lane). The pp control agent asked if I had a CDC card and the Swiss entry form, I noted I DID, but when I offered to show the agent these docs, she said its OK..
KYflyer likes this.

Last edited by nrr; Sep 13, 2021 at 1:01 pm
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by KYflyer
Given that MAN is not in Schengen so no passport control in AMS, kind of surprising that the airport (as opposed to KLM at the gate) would have a document check.

Last edited by BigFlyer; Sep 13, 2021 at 12:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.