Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

AMS transit/connection questions [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS transit/connection questions [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2021, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by matty884
Won't be doing much besides getting a hotel and maybe getting something to eat.

Everything is ticketed on one single ticket/PNR. It'll be an overnight connection (less than 24 hours). Booked it through FlyingBlue miles - it had an option of an overnight connection. Didn't want to do the 5 am flight :-). The thing I was wondering most was if I could use that same test that was done in Lisbon for my flight the next day to the US (assuming the tests and timing work out for both cases). Not sure if because Portugal and Holland are all schengen, that the test Wcan be taken in any of the countries. Or if the test has to be done in the country that you'll be immediately departing back from (ie. Holland).

A little complicated :-)
Using the test for more than one flight and specifically to board a connecting flight to the USA isn't a problem.

The bigger issue is whether you can enter the Netherlands for your overnight hotel stay (and perhaps dinner). You're already in Schengen, but different countries now have different rules regarding admissibility (USA passport as a tourist?) and testing/quarantine rules, which can change very quickly.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...The bigger issue is whether you can enter the Netherlands for your overnight hotel stay ...
I understood from my recent search that fully vaxed pax can currently enter the Netherlands with that documentation alone. No testing required at all.
altabello and DrinkSlinger like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:36 pm

The Netherlands currently considers Portugal to be a high risk area within EU/Schengen, but this just means that you need proof of vaccination/test/recovery to enter. No quarantine upon arrival, so there is no problem leaving the airport overnight and coming back.

The test for the US must be done before the first flight on the ticket that will eventually take you to the US. Because probably the only time anyone will ask for it is when you check-in for that first flight in Lisbon. I'll bet that when you try to check-in online, your airline will not issue you an electronic boarding pass (that would allow you to go right to the gate with hand baggage only). Because they need to make sure you go to the check-in counter and show your test result for the US.

When you arrive in the US, no one will ask you anything about Covid… At least this was my experience as a US citizen. Maybe foreign visitors get more scrutiny.
matty884 and MaxVO like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by DeppityDawg
... they need to make sure you go to the check-in counter and show your test result for the US.
Will test results sent via SMS be acceptable for the US flight, or it needs to be printed out?
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: DL Gold
Connecting Through AMS - Covid

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I could not find any recent info on the board. I am flying SEA>AMS>IST in a couple weeks. I am fully vaccinated. The Netherlands recently changed their Covid restrictions for the US. In some places I am seeing that US resident's cannot transit through AMS and in others I am seeing it's still allowed with differing information on whether you need to have a negative test (PCR within 72 hours of departure or Antigen within 24 hours of departure). Anyone know for sure?
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it's confusing. This sorta seems to indicate you may transit -- https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...hanging-planes
While this seems to indicate a quarantine is necessary even for transit -- https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...-or-short-stay
Or maybe you just need to fill out the quarantine declaration, but are not actually required to quarantine if you are just transiting -- https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...ory-quarantine
Asquared1 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 5, 2021 at 9:47 am
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You'll need to fill out the form, but will simply put TRANSIT as reason for exemption. (As long as you don't leave the international transit area)

You'll only need PCR test if Turkey requires it unless you want to exit international transit area. If you do plan as long as under 12hrs you dont need to quarantine. However you're expected to isolate unless necessary. Ie no catching train to Amsterdam Red light district for a little fun.
Asquared1 and smartytravel like this.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
While this seems to indicate a quarantine is necessary even for transit -- https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...-or-short-stay
Yes, they make it very difficult (which is why I asked) They list all the forbidden (inc. Travellers from high risk countries like US) and then have a separate link to follow for exemptions. That rabbit hole took me to this :

EU entry ban exemption categories

Transit, transfer

• You are travelling through the Netherlands to a non-EU/Schengen area country. You must prove that you have a connecting flight to a country outside the Schengen area. The connecting flight must depart within 48 hours of your arrival in Amsterdam. You must not leave the airport’s international transit zone in this period. Please note: the United Kingdom (UK) is not part of the EU/Schengen area.
Old Sep 5, 2021, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Asquared1
Yes, they make it very difficult (which is why I asked) They list all the forbidden (inc. Travellers from high risk countries like US) and then have a separate link to follow for exemptions. That rabbit hole took me to this :

Transit, transfer

• You are travelling through the Netherlands to a non-EU/Schengen area country. You must prove that you have a connecting flight to a country outside the Schengen area. The connecting flight must depart within 48 hours of your arrival in Amsterdam. You must not leave the airport’s international transit zone in this period. Please note: the United Kingdom (UK) is not part of the EU/Schengen area.
Didn't realize they upped to 48hrs. It used to be 12.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Asquared1

Transit, transfer

I have a JFK-AMS-DEL flight later this month, and I am still a bit confused:

1) Are US citizens traveling from the US to a non-EU/Schengen country allowed to transit via AMS? FWIW, I am fully vaccinated, and will do a RT-PCR test 72 hours before departure.
2) If "yes" to #1, do I still need to fill the Quarantine Declaration Form?

Please share your experience. Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
I am transiting BCN - AMS - USA in 2 weeks. Obviously I have to have a negative COVID test to return to USA. Do I need to fill out some form as well? So many changes lately. Hard to keep up with it all.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by metalblaze

1) Are US citizens traveling from the US to a non-EU/Schengen country allowed to transit via AMS? FWIW, I am fully vaccinated, and will do a RT-PCR test 72 hours before departure.

1) Yes, atm you should be allowed to transfer through AMS.
2) Yes, all passengers, regardless of vaccination status, must also complete a Health Declaration Form AND a quarantine form before arrival.
Noone is really looking into that anyway, already saw people fill in stupid/political incorrect quarantine adresses like the Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 147 or Euterpestraat 99 in Amsterdam.

Originally Posted by spryam
I am transiting BCN - AMS - USA in 2 weeks. Obviously I have to have a negative COVID test to return to USA. Do I need to fill out some form as well? So many changes lately. Hard to keep up with it all.
BCN is within the EU, so that country code is yellow, easy peasy.
The usual QR code (proof of vaccination, test or recovery) from your coronacheck app will do (& health declaration as usual. If you fly with KLM/HV that's done automatically when you OLCI)
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
Originally Posted by metalblaze

From the Dutch government Quarantine exemptions website (https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...y-quarantine):

"​​​​​​People with a layover in the Netherlands on their journey from a very high risk area to another country. Plane, train, bus or coach passengers must not leave the airport, train station or bus/coach station during the layover. Those travelling by car must stay in the vehicle except for short necessary stops, for example for fuel." Documents required are the Quarantine Declaration and ticket.There are some other very interesting quarantine exemptions on this page for stays in the Netherlands, looks like business travellers should be able to claim an exemption based on the language on the website. I personally will be visiting my parents in the Netherlands and that is an exemption reason as well.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I transited AMS from NBO in March when the borders were totally shut. Not a big deal at all.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So is transit allowed from US only if you are going to non-EU/Schengen countries? Or can you transit to EU/Schengen countries countries as long as you have vaccination and negative test result and meet whatever entry requirements they have for US pax?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.