Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Checking into a hotel during a pandemic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking into a hotel during a pandemic

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Highlighted a few that I highly disagree that 'everyone is fine with'.
I've got a bigger problem with anything on that list than I do with wearing masks in public.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Deez Nutz
I've got a bigger problem with anything on that list than I do with wearing masks in public.
Name checks out.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Unbelievable, you need a LAW about this !
Exactly. How is assaulting anyone (except in self defense) not a felony? Don't need a new law for that!
BearX220 and GUWonder like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
You have problems with airport security and drunk driving laws? What kind of a society do you aspire to?
Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
You have problems with airport security and drunk driving laws? What kind of a society do you aspire to?
You're going to find a lot of people on this website that have problems with airport security.
hedoman and PVDtoDEL like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
Exactly. How is assaulting anyone (except in self defense) not a felony? Don't need a new law for that!
From the article: "A simple battery charge is considered a misdemeanor". This law assures it is charged as a felony.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by cmd320
You're going to find a lot of people on this website that have problems with airport security.
i find people on this website who worry more about the way their limes are cut up on the first class bar cart than about global public health and safety, but that does not make them thought leaders.
747FC likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:19 pm

A freer one. I think drivers should be held accountable for damages and injuries they cause, but the one-size-fits-all BAC standard is arbitrary; particularly as determined from breath.

Airport security lost its way a long time ago. Disallowing sharp objects was obsolete before it was even implemented. It is no longer possible to hijack an airplane with scissors; the passengers won't allow it and the cockpit doors have been reinforced.
PVDtoDEL and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A freer one. I think drivers should be held accountable for damages and injuries they cause, but the one-size-fits-all BAC standard is arbitrary; particularly as determined from breath.

Airport security lost its way a long time ago. Disallowing sharp objects was obsolete before it was even implemented. It is no longer possible to hijack an airplane with scissors; the passengers won't allow it and the cockpit doors have been reinforced.
Drunks misjudge how capable they are--we need a hard standard. I do have a problem with basing it on breath, though--the technology is inherently unreliable--different people have a different ratio between blood alcohol and breath alcohol. The breathalyzer should only be a screening test to see if a blood draw is warranted, it has no business in the courtroom.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Drunks misjudge how capable they are--we need a hard standard. I do have a problem with basing it on breath, though--the technology is inherently unreliable--different people have a different ratio between blood alcohol and breath alcohol. The breathalyzer should only be a screening test to see if a blood draw is warranted, it has no business in the courtroom.
The point is it’s an arbitrary and stupid system like most of the rest of the aforementioned items.

I trust the 30 year old with a BAC of 0.12 a lot more than I trust the 80 year old with a BAC of 0.00 who joins the freeway going to wrong direction. Yet nothing is being done about that.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
i find people on this website who worry more about the way their limes are cut up on the first class bar cart than about global public health and safety, but that does not make them thought leaders.
I take issue with nanny state fiefdoms suddenly deciding that they have the right to restrict and control every aspect of my life and get outraged over resistance to their over reach.
the810 and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I take issue with nanny state fiefdoms suddenly deciding that they have the right to restrict and control every aspect of my life...
Hyperbole does not become you. It's hardly "every aspect of your life," only a few small things to protect public health. Stout insistence on elevating hypermasculine toxic individualism over the well-being of our communities is a uniquely American trait, but in this case a literally fatal one. The absurd notion that "state fiefdoms" are out to "control every aspect of your life" is preposterous. You can do anything you want in almost every aspect of your life, nobody cares what you eat for breakfast or how much you spend on movies or what books you read. But your right to swing your fists ends where my face begins, and refusing to support virus control measures is the epidemiological equivalent of punching strangers in the face. Such attitudes are why the US will be left in the dust as a recidivist object of global pity while mature countries recover and move forward.
8420PR, fransknorge, 747FC and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...nobody cares what you eat for breakfast or how much you spend on movies or what books you read.
Yet...
Old Aug 15, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Need
You know how full our prisons would be if every fist-fight was a felony?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I would have thought that assault had been a felony in Illinois (and elsewhere)
Well, from a legal perspective, not all "assaults" are necessarily considered the same.

At least in Illinois, there are at least two types of assault claims. "Simple assault" is classified as a misdemeanor, "aggravated assault" is classified as a felony.

The reason assaulting an employee over face mask enforcement is now a felony in Illinois is because it got reclassified from "simple assault" to "aggravated assault".
WilcoRoger, ajGoes and Dublin_rfk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.