Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US Citizens Returning from International Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Citizens Returning from International Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Has anyone ever tried entering the US (during Covid) from Canada, by way of Preclearance, but with a Canadian passport + US naturalization cert? (Asking for a friend, really). I have a feeling it'll give them some stares at check-in, but since it's pre-clearance, they can probably get away with it... not like they can deny a USC right.
I haven't tried it, but came across this article a while back.

Canadians can still travel to the U.S. during the COVID-19 pandemic — just not by car
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s...-fly-1.5607741
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
I am aware the US-Canada border is open while flying (even to single-citizens of the other country). The question was more on the idea of turning up, checking in at the desk with a Canadian PP, then showing a US naturalization certificate at Preclearance. I mean it isn't like they can deny a US citizen entry..
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:37 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by downinit
The problem is all of that is hilariously out of date. None of those countries are experiencing a breakout even remotely comparable with even the mildest of the states in the USA, while active hot-spots like Brazil and Mexico are conspicuously absent. It is obvious that keeping those restrictions at this point is due to either laziness or for political reasons (both are likely the case in our current climate). Given that the CDC has zero enforcement authority or capability, these guidelines have little merit. If the CDC actually cared about this issue, they would have updated the information at least once in the last four months. It makes more sense to quarantine for 14 days after a trip to the local Walmart or Home Depot than it does after a trip from China or the EU at this point.
Agree, the form we have to fill out first asks if we have been in Hebei Province China in the last two weeks.......unfortunately not, there are no cases there. But i live in Florida, where it is out of control......what a joke
Old Jul 19, 2020, 5:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I am aware the US-Canada border is open while flying (even to single-citizens of the other country). The question was more on the idea of turning up, checking in at the desk with a Canadian PP, then showing a US naturalization certificate at Preclearance. I mean it isn't like they can deny a US citizen entry..
Canadian citizens can still travel by air to the US for nonessential reasons, even with no US immigration status. You won't be denied entry to the US with a Canadian passport if you'd normally be admissible.

The reverse is not true, however (US citizens with no Canadian status cannot enter Canada by air until at least August 31).
Old Jul 20, 2020, 12:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Has anyone ever tried entering the US (during Covid) from Canada, by way of Preclearance, but with a Canadian passport + US naturalization cert? (Asking for a friend, really). I have a feeling it'll give them some stares at check-in, but since it's pre-clearance, they can probably get away with it... not like they can deny a USC right.
Even pre-covid this was a great way to spend at least 5 hours at the airport.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Normally USA citizens are required to enter the USA with a USA passport. However, if passports aren't being issued or renewed, this would seem to crate a problem.

If the person just tries to enter by air with just the Canadian passport and no questions arise (I don't know whether the grant of USA citizenship would be linked electronically to the Canadian passport), this might be easier: don't show the naturalization document unless it's requested since the passport alone appears to be an acceptable travel document, although issues of how long the person plans to stay in the USA could also arise.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:48 am

Yes; agreed - USC should have a passport. However, I donʻt believe that CBP can deny entry to someone who makes a claim to be a USC, and presents a federally issued document that supports this claim. Will take time in secondary - yes. However, the legal intricacies of ʻpreclearanceʻ make it interesting, as that isnʻt really a ʻborderʻ. As for the duration of the delay in secondary, Iʻd imagine considering things are pretty quiet right now.. it might be quite fast!

They would be presenting their CA passport at check-in at a regional Canadian airport, then when connecting at YVR walk around the corner and show US Naturalization Certificate at Preclearance. For check-in at the regional airport (which really is where the confusion would probably happen with the Timatic system etc), CA PP alone is a valid document - even without evidence of duration of stay or intent to return. I assume they are more lenient when it comes to Preclearance, as it isnʻt like they (airline) are bound by the transportation/carrier document rules in the same fashion.

Mostly curious if anyone has ever tried this.. ha
Old Jul 26, 2020, 1:53 am

Yes; agreed - USC should have a passport. However, I donʻt believe that CBP can deny entry to someone who makes a claim to be a USC, and presents a federally issued document that supports this claim. Will take time in secondary - yes. However, the legal intricacies of ʻpreclearanceʻ make it interesting, as that isnʻt really a ʻborderʻ. As for the duration of the delay in secondary, Iʻd imagine considering things are pretty quiet right now.. it might be quite fast!
If someone managed to do it before, they still may not succeed again in the future. I'm sure CBP can override anything. Problem is that it's still on Canadian soil, so US constitution/legal rights generally don't apply. CBP's free to be direct and refuse without fear, or be indirect and wave you through but also tell the airline not to board you or else they're not getting into US airspace".
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:49 pm

You make a good point about Preclearance... I wonder is it legally classed as "a US citizen presenting themselves for entry".. it isnʻt a border after all. Interesting... I guess weʻll find out!
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:52 pm

Agree on Timatic - however, in my example, Preclearance makes things interesting.

(For example, years ago, I was told by a check-in agent that my Advance Parole card was NOT sufficient to attempt to enter the US. They wanted a visa. I suggested that, since this was a Precleared flight, she may want to just let CBP decide. She backed down..)
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: DL Plat
Does the list of 13 entry airports for travelers coming from Europe still apply? I notice IAH is not on that list but LH is operating (and selling) their FRA-IAH flight currently...
Old Aug 5, 2020, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be clear, a US national may not be denied entry to the US. Period. One could present oneself to CBP with no documents.

Nonetheless, the lack of a valid passport, followed by the lack of other good documentation, may vastly increase the time it takes to verify citizenship and thus the length of time before admission.

All of this presumes that one has been permitted to board. This is why US consulates issue passport replacing documents ("emergency passports").
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Continited
Does the list of 13 entry airports for travelers coming from Europe still apply? I notice IAH is not on that list but LH is operating (and selling) their FRA-IAH flight currently...
It's not on the list above but it's out of date as the list has been updated. On the DHS website there is a current list which includes IAH. IAH was added in when the Brazil travel restrictions came in (later than the EU/UK ones) because of its connections with South America.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Normally USA citizens are required to enter the USA with a USA passport. However, if passports aren't being issued or renewed, this would seem to crate a problem.
Actually it is illegal for the US to not allow its citizens to enter. That much is agreed upon. CBP may try to make your life difficult though.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/home.pdf
Interesting reading. The US government often does illegal stuff.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
And more recently, but still pre-pandemic.

A Dallas-born citizen picked up by the Border Patrol has been detained for three weeks, his lawyer says

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/immi...s-lawyer-says/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.