Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US Citizens Returning from International Travel

Old Jul 15, 20, 8:59 am
Original Poster

For any US citizen's returning from international travel, have you had any issues re-entering the country? What has screening been like with agents? How long ago it you travel and from where?
Old Jul 15, 20, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Gold 0.527MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Entered EWR a few days ago from LHR (via LIS). No issues re-entering, but it takes a bit longer than usual. No GE, and you have to do a temp scan and fill out a form declaring you've had no symptoms.
Old Jul 15, 20, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture View Post
Entered EWR a few days ago from LHR (via LIS). No issues re-entering, but it takes a bit longer than usual. No GE, and you have to do a temp scan and fill out a form declaring you've had no symptoms.
My wife, a US citizen, flew LHR-LAX. A quick health check (30 seconds) and then normal entry using MPC.
Old Jul 16, 20, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
We flew to MIA from Antigua on June 18th, with a cat. We use mobile passport. We were not even asked to scan the arrival page on the phone - we were admitted instantly, with no questions at all. We walked out of customs with the cat, again with no questions at all. We spent time and money getting all of the cat's papers in order, and only the airline looked at them. Easiest arrival ever.
Old Jul 17, 20, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture View Post
Is GE generally not available at this time?
largeeyes likes this.
Old Jul 17, 20, 2:55 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
You may like to check these posts in another thread which may affect “all American citizens, legal permanent residents, and their immediate families who are returning from the impacted area”.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32536284-post995.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32536325-post997.html

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/17/...untries-europe

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 17, 20 at 3:51 am Reason: Added images
Old Jul 17, 20, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
You may like to check these posts in another thread which may affect “all American citizens, legal permanent residents, and their immediate families who are returning from the impacted area”.
The problem is all of that is hilariously out of date. None of those countries are experiencing a breakout even remotely comparable with even the mildest of the states in the USA, while active hot-spots like Brazil and Mexico are conspicuously absent. It is obvious that keeping those restrictions at this point is due to either laziness or for political reasons (both are likely the case in our current climate). Given that the CDC has zero enforcement authority or capability, these guidelines have little merit. If the CDC actually cared about this issue, they would have updated the information at least once in the last four months. It makes more sense to quarantine for 14 days after a trip to the local Walmart or Home Depot than it does after a trip from China or the EU at this point.
af fp, enviroian, Sjoerd and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 17, 20, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by downinit View Post
The problem is all of that is hilariously out of date. None of those countries are experiencing a breakout even remotely comparable with even the mildest of the states in the USA, while active hot-spots like Brazil and Mexico are conspicuously absent. It is obvious that keeping those restrictions at this point is due to either laziness or for political reasons (both are likely the case in our current climate). Given that the CDC has zero enforcement authority or capability, these guidelines have little merit. If the CDC actually cared about this issue, they would have updated the information at least once in the last four months. It makes more sense to quarantine for 14 days after a trip to the local Walmart or Home Depot than it does after a trip from China or the EU at this point.
I'm much more worried returning home to the EU than I am visiting family in the US. Actually asked my boss about it and I think 2 weeks quarantine would be required. Didn't seem thrilled by the idea, either.
Old Jul 17, 20, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This thread combines two entirely different concepts:
1. US nationals have a constitutional right to enter the US. The pandemic has never precluded any US national from entry. Similarly, LPR's and certain family members have been exempted from various orders.
2. None of this has anything to do with quarantine and what that involves.

Roughly the same equivalent exists for most countries, especially in Europe, e.g. citizens and those with a residence permit (whatever it may be called) are admissible, but may be subject to quarantine. Again, what constitutes quarantine will differ.

Rather than broad-based statements, the easiest effort is to run the specific parameters which apply to you though TIMATIC. That will display an accurate result for today (which may change tomorrow). If you want certainty, don't plan or book travel until the day you plan to leave.
Old Jul 17, 20, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
]

Rather than broad-based statements, the easiest effort is to run the specific parameters which apply to you though TIMATIC. That will display an accurate result for today (which may change tomorrow). If you want certainty, don't plan or book travel until the day you plan to leave.
Your post is good advice; however, even Timatic is not always up to date or accurate. It may represent what airlines will say and enforce on departure, but not necessarily what immigration authorities will do on arrival. For those actually planning travel abroad, I would recommend the relevant government authorities' webpages (immigration is better than US embassy), even if it means using Google Translate. Note also that English FAQs may be out of date compared the text of regulations...
tecate55 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 20, 8:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
I arrived ORD from LHR about 2 weeks ago. No GE and I had filled out the medical form in advance. I went directly to an immigration officer in a booth. He scanned my passport and asked if I had been to Iran, Brazil or Russia. After this I stopped at a large table staffed by the Chicago Fire Department. My form was collected, temperature taken, and again I was asked about Iran, Brazil and Russia. The whole process was easy and fast, maybe 3 minutes including the brief chat with the immigration officer.
ImAllEars likes this.
Old Jul 17, 20, 11:27 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by downinit View Post
It is as outdated as the list of countries from which foreign nationals who have spent the past 14 days there cannot enter the US. At least Brazil has been added to the list according to this DHS webpage: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/05/27/...l-restrictions
Old Jul 17, 20, 12:21 pm

Unless you're returning to Hawaii or maybe Alaska, i'm not sure why anyone is too worried about any rules when returning to lower-48. Besides filling out a few forms on arrival there is zero enforcement whatsoever, everything is on honor system, which means no real restrictions.
Old Jul 17, 20, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
Unless you're returning to Hawaii or maybe Alaska, i'm not sure why anyone is too worried about any rules when returning to lower-48. Besides filling out a few forms on arrival there is zero enforcement whatsoever, everything is on honor system, which means no real restrictions.
It only means "no real restrictions" if you are willing to break the law.

Given the urgency of the situation, it seems that most people are law-abiding.
ajGoes and ImAllEars like this.
Old Jul 19, 20, 12:03 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Has anyone ever tried entering the US (during Covid) from Canada, by way of Preclearance, but with a Canadian passport + US naturalization cert? (Asking for a friend, really). I have a feeling it'll give them some stares at check-in, but since it's pre-clearance, they can probably get away with it... not like they can deny a USC right.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: