Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

International travel document verification by airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International travel document verification by airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by jchock1
Is their a good source about how airlines are fined for letting passengers on flights where they're not supposed to? Like the original source documents? I read everywhere about $10,000 fines, but can't seem to find the legislation/regulation that states this, and would imagine it would be different depending on destination and circumstances.

Thanks!
It depends on the country. If memory serves me right, Saudi Arabia used to fine airlines in the region of $20,000 for every passenger incorrectly checked in to JED rather than the Hajj terminal. Information was on Timatic when I worked in the airline.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yes they want to check you can enter all countries on your trip. Airlines can be and are fined if they have flown someone who is then denied entry into a country.
Is there any reason why the airline can't give you the heads-up at the time you are making the reservation?
Old Jul 9, 2020, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Is there any reason why the airline can't give you the heads-up at the time you are making the reservation?
because whatever they can tell you at the time of booking may not be correct anymore at the time of travel. Rules are changing very very frequently.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Goldorak
because whatever they can tell you at the time of booking may not be correct anymore at the time of travel. Rules are changing very very frequently.
So quickly actually that sometimes ESTAs have been known to be cancelled mid-flight. But that didn’t stop the airline from processing the passengers’ documentation prior to boarding.

That aside, there is documentation that must be presented no matter what for international flights such as a passport, and why not sooner than later, given how complex things are these days?

I was asking for a heads-up only, not anything in full or final. If there are obvious omisions or likely conflicts, that too might be useful to deal with sooner than later.

What I am particularly curious about is whether airlines can interact with TIMATIC information in such a way that potential problems can be relayed in an automated fashion to the passenger and not necessitated by manual handling by airline staff.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
A little cynical perhaps, but the reason is probably commercial. They want to put as few obstacles as possible in your way before you part with your money.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Goldorak
It’s for much the same reason embassies/consulates use wishy-washy language about the situation at this time and instead make suggestions to check elsewhere with the (embassy/consulate’s) home country government and with the transporting airline. And even when an individual wants to check with the border control authorities: often these government authorities will default to pointing people toward boilerplate language and/or otherwise suggest they cannot grant prior approval for an individual to be transportable and/or admissible to the destination.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It’s for much the same reason embassies/consulates use wishy-washy language about the situation at this time and instead make suggestions to check elsewhere with the (embassy/consulate’s) home country government and with the transporting airline. And even when an individual wants to check with the border control authorities: often these government authorities will default to pointing people toward boilerplate language and/or otherwise suggest they cannot grant prior approval for an individual to be transportable and/or admissible to the destination.
How right you are. Perfectly stated. Certainly I found this to be correct when dealing with the US Embassy in London. Hopelessly uncommunicative, passing the buck, boiler plate language. Likewise the mis-named Communications Center in NYC.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanillabean
At last count about 195.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.