Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

UK arrivals - pre-departure, quarantine and post-arrival [currently no requirements]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Mod note on thread engagement:

A reminder that this thread is about the self-isolation requirements for UK arrivals.

It is a help/Information resource for those travelling or returning to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland from outside the UK. Let's concentrate on news, questions and answers that are relevant and on-topic and stay away from speculations about the spread of the virus, the performance of politicians and other topics which are more suitable for OMNI.

Please stay within these requirements to avoid issues.

LATEST UPDATES

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-t...virus-covid-19

18 March travel to the UK changes

If you will arrive in the UK from abroad after 4am, Friday 18 March, you do not need to:
  • take any COVID-19 tests – before you travel or after you arrive
  • fill in a UK passenger locator form before you travel

This will apply whether you are vaccinated or not.

You also will not need to quarantine when you arrive, in line with current rules.
Other countries still have COVID-19 entry rules in place. You should check travel advice before you travel.
If you will arrive in England before 4am, 18 March, you must follow the current rules as set out in this guidance.

The following historical information is retained for the time being.

The Passenger Locator Form for passengers arriving into the UK can be found here:
https://visas-immigration.service.go...r-locator-form
This can only be completed once you are within 48 hours of arrival in the UK.

Exemption list from quarantine requirements - specific details:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...k-border-rules

England
Statutory instrument for individual passengers arriving in to England: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/582/contents (this html version is updated, but may not have the very latest updates for Statutory Instruments released in the last few days)

Test to release for England only from 15 December, see post 4776 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32841066-post4776.html

Statutory instrument for transport providers http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

Scotland
Statutory instrument for individual passengers arriving in to Scotland: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/169/contents (this html version is updated)

Wales
Statutory instrument for individual passengers arriving in to Wales: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2020/574/contents (this html version is updated) &
Welsh language version: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2...0200574_we.pdf

Northern Ireland
Statutory instrument https://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisr/2021/99/contents (this html version is updated)

PRACTICAL GUIDANCE FOR QUICK RELEASE FROM SELF-ISOLATION (based on November 28th updates)
[This section has been moved lower down in the wiki post following the change in self-isolation rule on 7th January 2022[

Any PCR test noted as a UK Government Day 2 test will be accepted for release from self isolation as soon as you get the negative result. If it is any other PCR test (eg "Fit to Fly") and not advertised specifically as a Day 2 test then it won't be valid.

This means that you can:[list]
  • Book a suitable Day 2 PCR test before you travel and use the booking reference for the test on the PLF (Passenger Locator Form).
    • On your day of arrival go to your scheduled test.
      • Proceed to you place of self-isolation and await the result, which will hopefully be same / next day.

Alternatively:
        • Book any Day 2 PCR test before you travel even if you do not intend to use this test, and use the booking reference for the test on the PLF to ensure entry to the UK.
          • Note that you are not strictly required to have a PCR booking before arrival, but your carrier might not know that so you run the risk of being denied boarding
          • On your day of arrival (or before end of Day 2) go to a walk-in test centre and take a different test to the one you booked.
            • Proceed to you place of self-isolation and await the result, which will hopefully be same / next day.

If you are leaving the UK before the end of day 2 then you do not need to take a test, but are required to self-isolate for the duration of your trip (since you do not have a negative result). Also, if you are self-isolating while waiting for a result (and hence have not been informed of a positive result and need to isolate) you may travel to leave the country.

If you take a test and it is positive for any variant of COVID you will be required to isolate for 10 days from the date of the test.

Whether you take a test or not you may be contacted by the UK Test and Trace system at any time if it becomes apparent that you have been in contact with another case. This is very unlikely to happen before day 3 if it is in relation to your flight to UK. Depending on the suspected / identified variant for that case and if you are fully-vaccinated by an accepted programme (see below for links to what this means and valid exemptions) :
        • Omnicron or not fully-vaccinated: You will be required to isolated for 10 days, including a bar on travel to leave the country. A negative Day 2 test does not release you from this requirement.
          • Other and fully vaccinated : You will not be required to isolate.

Test Providers for Day 2/8 tests & Day 5 Test to release
This section is for FTers to post their experience with specific providers (good or bad). Keep it brief and to the point. Please mention how the service is provided and your FT name.

DNA Workplace - Postal - Test kits arrived with me on time. Royal Mail slow for return. 5+ days for Day 2 result. #DaveS
DNA Workplace - Postal - Test kits both arrived on time, video of tests required, results by late evening Day 3 and Day 9. #TSE
ExpressTest Gatwick - Drive through - Tested early at 1000 a few times for TTR. Results came through in evening. #DaveS
NowTest - Postal - Day 2 kit arrived on time, day 8 did not. Will update with result arrival times when applicable. #wilsnunn
Collinson - Postal - Day 5 Test to Release kit arrived in time. Results and release by end of day 6. #tjcxx
CTM - Postal - Days 2/8 kits arrived together in time. Both sent results 2 days after posting. #tjcxx
Qured (Oncologica) - Postal -Day 2/8 kits arrived late. Results 3+ days from posting. #Gagravarr
Qured (Oncologica) - Postal - Day 2/8 kits arrived on time. Day 2 result on Day 5 and Day 8 result on Day 10 - happy customer! #EddLegll
Qured (Ocnologica) - Postal - Day 2/8 kits arrived on time. Day 2 result on Day 5 (after bedtime; ironically after my TTR result). #KSVVZ2015
Anglia DNA - Postal - Day 2/8 kits arrived early. (Both were labelled Day2). Results on Day 4 and Day 9. Cheapest on the list at the time, and good service/result. #tjcxx
Qured - Pre-flight test booked and bought through BA. Very efficient service. Highly recommended. #lhrsfo
Randox - Days 2 and 8. Booked two days before return, using BA discount. Kits already arrived on return. Slightly confusing instructions but manageable. Used Randox dropbox and results next day. Good. #lhrsfo
Randox - Day 2 (also used as pre departure test for a London to Milan flight). Used a drop box and results arrived at midnight the next day. #11101
Randox - Day 2 test centre - 2h30 queues outside the test centre in Waterloo. Results of antigen arrived 45 minutes later. #11101
Collinson - Test to Release at LHR T2. Good trip out! Very efficient service and well organised. Used BA discount. Results by end of day. Excellent. #lhrsfo
DAM - Test to Release in Fulham (they have many locations) - the cheapest fast turnaround TTR we have found. They promise 24 hours but in reality me, my wife, and my son (on different days) have received results inside of 12 hours. Very efficient staff as well. Princes outside of Central London as low as 99 GBP. Fulham is 129 GBP. #KSVVZ2015
Boots/Source Bioscience - days 2&8. Both packs sent in the same mail, waiting at the isolation address. Dropped off at postbox at 4pm, result back next day between 4 and 5 pm, very effective. Bought from Boots, Ł160, but same package sold directly bu Source Bioscience is just Ł120. Aaargh! Instructions said nasal and throat swabs, did only nasal and marked accordingly, no issues. #WilcoRoger
Collinsons/Stansted walkin TTR - test taken 1:30 pm, email with results 10:10 pm same day If the BA20OFF doesn't work (didn't work for us) there's another discount on the airport's site #WilcoRoger
Ordered Day-2 kit from Chronomics a week before our return for Ł18.99. Duly dispatched day we were returning to UK, so arrived on day following return. Reasonably simple process to do test and upload -ve result picture. Not sure where +ve result would have led to... #EsherFlyer
Hale Clinic testing centre (near Oxford Circus) - While not the least expensive, appoint schedules are accurate and results returned in promised timeframe. I've used the clinic for Day 2 tests (twice) and antigen test for US (once). I would def utilize again. #ecaarch
Halo at T5 (Sofitel) - Day 2 PCR spit test. Took the test 7pm, results arrived 7am the next day. No queues but a slightly awkward process to follow.

Useful data sources:

New cases per 100k - 7 days: https://covid19.who.int/table
New tests per 1000 - 7 days: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing
Vaccination doses per 100: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
Sequenced samples uploaded to GISAID: https://www.gisaid.org/index.php?id=208
NHS Track & Trace data (positivity rates for arriving passengers are published every three weeks, so if you can't find the data in the current release it will be in one of the previous two) https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...weekly-reports https://assets.publishing.service.go...ut_week_50.ods
UK daily COVID data https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/?_ga...827.1594116739
Risk assessment methodology to inform international travel traffic light system
Data informing international travel traffic-light risk assessments

Testing Terminology
Notes which may assist with understanding which tests to use and with "reuse" of UK tests for other countries regulations:
  • LFT: Lateral Flow Test - A rapid antigen test using nasal / throat swab typically performed by the traveler at home, hotel, etc using simple disposable device. Usually tests the "outer shell" of the nucleus (which causes the symptoms and is reasonably stable across variants) and not the "spikes" (which allow new variants to invade more easily), so gives a positive result for many variants. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-...d_antigen_test)
  • PCR: Polymerase Chain Reaction - A laboratory based test which looks at the nucleus of the virus to determine which specific variant it is. After a positive LFT test ("I have some form of COVID") a PCR test ("You have the Gamma variant") allows identification and tracking of new variants to see if they are likely to become a "variant of concern". (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymerase_chain_reaction)
  • NAAT: Nucleic Acid Amplification Test - A general class of laboratory based tests which includes PCR, LAMP, etc tests. (See https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...b/naats.html)
Print Wikipost

UK arrivals - pre-departure, quarantine and post-arrival [currently no requirements]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Has anyone heard anything re Spain, whether from scotgov or UKgov?
ScotGov posted on the their website yesterday Spain is now excluded from quarantine.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:17 am
Suspended

Regarding the US, I heard yesterday the 3 major alliances are now aggressively lobbying UK, US and EU to find ways to open up the transatlantic market again. I suppose after a good 4 months of it running at 10% capacity less, its really starting to bite.
LETTERBOY and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Regarding the US, I heard yesterday the 3 major alliances are now aggressively lobbying UK, US and EU to find ways to open up the transatlantic market again. I suppose after a good 4 months of it running at 10% capacity less, its really starting to bite.
My Canadian friends are also telling me the Air Canada CEO is pressuring Trudeau. They need to make it less of a blanket ban, there is too much at stake here.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
My Canadian friends are also telling me the Air Canada CEO is pressuring Trudeau. They need to make it less of a blanket ban, there is too much at stake here.
Absolutely, its getting to the point where the cure is worse than the problem if this continues.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
They can keep on lobbying for as much as they like. With the US clocking 50, 60, 70 thousand cases a day... it ain't going to happen anytime soon. And I very much doubt that the public opinion, in Europe, is keen to see an opening to the US. I know the UK is so Amerophile that, if given half a chance, people would flock right now to Tampa and Orlando despite everything, but I'm not too sure about the remainder of the continent.
orbitmic and vanillabean like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I can see it from both sides of the argument. On the one hand, the current restrictions are crippling the transatlantic market (as well as elsewhere, obviously). But on the other hand, can you realistically continue this indefinitely? 13901 is absolutely correct in terms of the number of cases here in the US - it is off the chart unfortunately. Here in Nevada the 7-day moving average has a 22% test positivity rate and the cumulative positivity rate is rapidly approaching 10%

How do you begin to take even baby steps to get some sort of meaningful UK - US traffic flowing again? Certainly testing on arrival would be an option but it requires the infrastructure in place to support it, by which I mean you're not queuing for hours at LHR to be tested or waiting for days for your test results, or else you follow the Dubai model which is to arrive with a negative PCR test from the last 96 hours or else undergo testing at the airport.

I can't see US - UK travel resuming without some degree of reciprocity. Equally, given the quarantine requirements being imposed by some of the east coast states on visitors from elsewhere in the US I am not sure whether the likes of Cuomo would be happy with NY being one end of an "airbridge" (or gateway) with the UK.

As things stand, it's a hot mess with no end in sight.
13901 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Geordie405
"In just over two months, the Northeast has gone from the country’s worst coronavirus hot spot to its most controlled. “It’s acting like Europe,” one expert said." If only the UK would do likewise!
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 4:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can't see US - UK travel resuming without some degree of reciprocity. Equally, given the quarantine requirements being imposed by some of the east coast states on visitors from elsewhere in the US I am not sure whether the likes of Cuomo would be happy with NY being one end of an "airbridge" (or gateway) with the UK.

I can assure you that reciprocal treatment isn't be talked about at the UK end, the restrictions will stay in place until the USA's infection cases rate falls to UK / EU levels. As soon as that happens the USA will be allowed exemption from self isolation, but just right now the USA is at least 4 months from doing that, even if it took the hard decisions needed for this (in terms of lockdown) today. Other states on the UK's exemption list have non reciprocal arrangements, notably Australia and New Zealand.

Look at the figures. In the last 14 days cumulative (on the basis the infection typically lasts 14 days), the UK has a death rate of 1.55 per 100k, and a recorded cases rate of 14.21. This means Romania is not exempt from restrictions given its figures are 1.42 and 49 respectively. Ditto Bulgaria 0.84 and 45. Portugal may be permitted next week, it is on 0.66 deaths and 43 cases per 100k. Portugal can demonstrate its figures are going the right way, under control and in non tourist areas, but it's right on the line at the moment, my suspicion is that HMG will wait a further week unless the cases figure drops a lot in the next day or two.

The USA? 3.22 deaths and 275 cases per 100k, and deteriorating.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I can assure you that reciprocal treatment isn't be talked about at the UK end, the restrictions will stay in place until the USA's infection cases rate falls to UK / EU levels. As soon as that happens the USA will be allowed exemption from self isolation, but just right now the USA is at least 4 months from doing that, even if it took the hard decisions needed for this (in terms of lockdown) today. Other states on the UK's exemption list have non reciprocal arrangements, notably Australia and New Zealand.

Look at the figures. In the last 14 days cumulative (on the basis the infection typically lasts 14 days), the UK has a death rate of 1.55 per 100k, and a recorded cases rate of 14.21. This means Romania is not exempt from restrictions given its figures are 1.42 and 49 respectively. Ditto Bulgaria 0.84 and 45. Portugal may be permitted next week, it is on 0.66 deaths and 43 cases per 100k. Portugal can demonstrate its figures are going the right way, under control and in non tourist areas, but it's right on the line at the moment, my suspicion is that HMG will wait a further week unless the cases figure drops a lot in the next day or two.

Interesting the 4 months estimation. I had heard Trump is not planning to reopen the US borders to Europe/China until after the election in November, that is roughly 4 months away!

As someone else pointed out, yes this is all a huge mess with no end in sight. Sigh.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vanillabean
"In just over two months, the Northeast has gone from the country’s worst coronavirus hot spot to its most controlled. “It’s acting like Europe,” one expert said." If only the UK would do likewise!
How do you mean? The UK infection right has shot down, today it had less infections than Spain or France. The UK rate is well down to the point British travellers are now allowed into Slovenia, Estonia, Czechia, Norway and Denmark without quarantine.
vanillabean likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Reciprocity was probably the wrong word, or perhaps I should have been more explicit in what I meant. Travel tends to be bi-directional. You go somewhere and then you come back. Travel between the UK and US (in both directions) won't pick up in any meaningful way until there is no requirement for self-isolation / quarantine in either country. There's nothing to stop me flying back to the UK but I need to self-isolate upon arrival. When I fly back to the USA there's also a CDC requirement to stay home for 14 days.

Hence even if the US decides spontaneously to once again allow travel to the US from the UK under the VWP there's little real incentive to do so if you're still required to self-isolate for 14 days upon your return to the UK. So what I meant by reciprocity was simply the ability to travel to / from the USA without either country requiring any self-isolation. I didn't mean it in a political sense. Poor choice of words on my part!
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Reciprocity was probably the wrong word, or perhaps I should have been more explicit in what I meant. Travel tends to be bi-directional. You go somewhere and then you come back. Travel between the UK and US (in both directions) won't pick up in any meaningful way until there is no requirement for self-isolation / quarantine in either country. There's nothing to stop me flying back to the UK but I need to self-isolate upon arrival. When I fly back to the USA there's also a CDC requirement to stay home for 14 days.

Hence even if the US decides spontaneously to once again allow travel to the US from the UK under the VWP there's little real incentive to do so if you're still required to self-isolate for 14 days upon your return to the UK. So what I meant by reciprocity was simply the ability to travel to / from the USA without either country requiring any self-isolation. I didn't mean it in a political sense. Poor choice of words on my part!
I think reciprocity was actually the right word, even if it's not what you really meant. After the travel bans had been going on for a while, I read several articles in reputable publications (too lazy to go look for them now) where US government officials were quoted as saying they wouldn't allow foreigners into the US unless Americans were allowed into the country in question.

Now, as noted above by others, that may not happen for a while, but the US government is on record as saying the resumption of travel will require reciprocity.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

c-w-s, where do you find these figures? I had a quick look at the European “CDC” website as well as other online dashboards but I can’t find the rolling 14 day averages.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 13901
c-w-s, where do you find these figures? I had a quick look at the European “CDC” website as well as other online dashboards but I can’t find the rolling 14 day averages.
On this Euro CDC dashboard
https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/ex.../COVID-19.html

you can click EU++ button and then set a date range under Period. It's best to select the preselected option of 7 days first, then manually move to 14 days.
13901 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I can't see US - UK travel resuming without some degree of reciprocity.
It's worth reminding that the US took measures forbidding visitors in a non-reciprocal way so they would be ill-placed to request reciprocity to lift them.

As mentioned by others, I think that airlines can lobby whoever they want as much as they want, things will start moving when the US has the Covid situation under some at least relative control.

By now, political leaders have a pretty good sense of how citizens respond to Covid leadership, and you don't need to be a pollster genius to know whether they would prefer their popularity trajectory to emulate those of "pro-normality" Trump and Bolsonaro or of "pro-emergency" Sturgeon and Ardern. Recent examples of virus surge/resurgence also show the economic and social cost of allowing infection rates to increase again in countries which have paid a heavy price fighting off the first wave, such as Spain, Italy, and France.

I'm sure that most states would like to allow a safe reopening of worldwide flights if it were based on a scientific solution which was both safe and manageable, but the truth is that the airlines' initiative has absolutely nothing to offer on those grounds, but a system which would revive their activity at the obvious expense of public health safety, with very obvious risks to allow the virus to spread faster and further in places where it is now contained to manageable levels. In that context, I see 0 chance of the European sides (whether EU or UK) being receptive any time soon.

Of course, it would now certainly make sense for the US to allow travel from the EU and UK which are so much less infected than her, but if that is to happen, I think it will have to be (yet another) unidirectional measure from the US.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jul 23, 2020 at 7:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.