Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight refund options [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Debowing71
How is this done (dispute with the CC Company? ) Contact my issuing Bank?
Yes. Dispute with bank issuing the credit card
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:24 am

Chargeback?

From reading extensively I’m still somewhat confused by different responses.

Our flight JFK-NBO-SEZ and back has not been cancelled for mid-April. KQ is currently allowing us to reschedule dates if desired with no change fee but required fare difference. We paid $356 pp so there’s no way we’d get that again or they’ll give us a voucher. Obviously we’ll never find tickets that low again.

I understand they want to keep the money they’ve got. If the flight is cancelled though, which I don’t see how it couldn’t be at the rate we’re going, am I entitled to a refund? If KQ says no, will my cc (Chase) give a chargeback or is there some small written clause that allows them to keep the money even if not operating the flight?

thanks in advance.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:14 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Debowing71
How is this done (dispute with the CC Company? ) Contact my issuing Bank?
Best to call the CC company and let them know you have exhausted dealing with the airline and/or OTA. Keep any email notices, for example Thai Lion Mantari just sent me an email notice that the flight I paid for was cancelled and didn't show any rescheduled flight info. EX Thailand won't answer their phone as you have to enter the itinerary number and if it's more than 72 from flight time they just disconnect. Air Asia sent me an email on another flight (this one I got thru GoToGate who don't answer their emails,) and I went to a ticket office AirAsia has at Tesco-Lotus on Sukhumvit at Soi 50. They offered to refund the taxes only, but they say the flight is still scheduled and told me to wait. Technically, my flight wasn't one they offered immediate "credit" for. I'll wait until next week and see what they do. On the other hand NOK Air is absolutely not doing anything.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by angra
In my case, with Aeromexico, even having the airline cancel the flight (twice!) I still can't get them to agree to a refund. They just keep rebooking me to different days without my assent.
Same with FlyDubai for this week end.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:04 am

Programs: RAK ROCK CO
I will keep the CC/Bank as the last resort, meanwhile I have an automated reply from Thai that says to wait and they will deal with my case...Let's give it a few days anyway.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lovefly88
From reading extensively I’m still somewhat confused by different responses.

Our flight JFK-NBO-SEZ and back has not been cancelled for mid-April. KQ is currently allowing us to reschedule dates if desired with no change fee but required fare difference. We paid $356 pp so there’s no way we’d get that again or they’ll give us a voucher. Obviously we’ll never find tickets that low again.

I understand they want to keep the money they’ve got. If the flight is cancelled though, which I don’t see how it couldn’t be at the rate we’re going, am I entitled to a refund? If KQ says no, will my cc (Chase) give a chargeback or is there some small written clause that allows them to keep the money even if not operating the flight?

thanks in advance.
If the flight is operating you are not entitled to a refund, regardless of any immigration restrictions. If the flight is cancelled you’ll get a refund. I doubt any travel insurance will cover you if the flight is not cancelled.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: RAK ROCK CO
Originally Posted by LondonElite
If the flight is operating you are not entitled to a refund, regardless of any immigration restrictions. If the flight is cancelled you’ll get a refund. I doubt any travel insurance will cover you if the flight is not cancelled.
If the flight is operating then my issue is solved, I am not chasing the refund, I need to be able to fly on those days...I really hope they reinstate the flights.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:32 am

Multi flight - DUB-NYC, MIA-DUB - one leg cancelled

Hi
In relation to flight refunds from carriers, does anyone know what the position is where only one leg is cancelled, so in DUB-NYC, MIA-DUB for example, if they cancel the second leg, and the 2 legs are under one booking code, do you get a refund for the whole ticket given you can't come home?
thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by podgeandrodge
Hi
In relation to flight refunds from carriers, does anyone know what the position is where only one leg is cancelled, so in DUB-NYC, MIA-DUB for example, if they cancel the second leg, and the 2 legs are under one booking code, do you get a refund for the whole ticket given you can't come home?
thanks!
Usually, if the airline cancel one flight, then the passenger has the right to request the cancellation and refund of the whole ticket, regardless how many legs there are in the routing.
At least this should be valid for EU carriers, or trips starting in EU.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
Usually, if the airline cancel one flight, then the passenger has the right to request the cancellation and refund of the whole ticket, regardless how many legs there are in the routing.
At least this should be valid for EU carriers, or trips starting in EU.
Thanks Lefly.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:31 pm

It wasn’t in the 11 page summary document, but does the EU give a time period within which the refund must be paid in the event of cancellation by airline? In my case, Norwegian cancelled the outbound leg of a single roundtrip booking on an otherwise nonrefundable flight and I was immediately taken to their “application for a refund” page. My assumption is that they will be swamped processing their “applications”, but before I speak to Chase (issuer of the card I used to book it a couple of months ago) I’d like to say I waited until Norwegian missed some sort of legal refund deadline, if there is one. Rather than say I waited something arbitrary like “10 business days” before getting impatient and calling the bank.

Last edited by gutenmorgan; Mar 21, 2020 at 12:47 pm
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:50 pm

Anyone have experience with contacting AA to get refund for non-refundable tickets?

Family and I were planning to go to Puerto Rico, mid May flights, but due to this the decision is made to cancel the tickets. It's re-usable as a credit with AA, of course, and given the global pandemic I wonder if calling would help with getting a refund on non-refundable tickets bought prior to the pandemic becoming a thing.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Beware. Several travel companies are changing their terms and conditions overnight to exclude refunds from force majeure events and are trying to pass that as a retroactive change
84fiero likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:06 am

Air Tahiti Nui is being evasive.

Have LAX-CDG 4/22-4/28.

Website says all such flights are cancelled but there "could be adjustments"

Hare heard nothing from them regarding cacellation/refund and they will not answer emails- no phone number given on theri site.

Should I have my credit card reverse the charge or just wait?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ente_09
Air Tahiti Nui is being evasive.

Have LAX-CDG 4/22-4/28.

Website says all such flights are cancelled but there "could be adjustments"

Hare heard nothing from them regarding cacellation/refund and they will not answer emails- no phone number given on theri site.

Should I have my credit card reverse the charge or just wait?
I doubt that service will operate, but until you receive confirmation that the flight is cancelled I don't think your cc will do anything. Probably call and ask. Would you have been able to travel to France anyway (assume EU travel ban is extended.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.