Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Events canceled/postponed due to COVID-19 [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Events canceled/postponed due to COVID-19 [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by username
It is kind of scary that all 3 remaining US presidential candidates are in the high risk group...

Businesses can move faster and are most cautious since money is involved. It is harder for public events in the US as there is no consensus to take this seriously and views differ based on political alignment.
Even outside of the US, it seems like most public events are going ahead (with the exception of Italy). Soccer matches in most of Europe continue...
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, current level: tin
American physician here. We are coming up to the conference season, most academic medical conferences seem to be scheduled in the next few months. I usually attend 1-2 national conferences per year. One, which is occurring later this month, has already been canceled. The other, which is next month, has put attendees on alert that it might be canceled (at this point I would put sums of money down that it will be). My colleagues in other fields are having the same experience. One of the local medical schools announced they are restricting all nonessential faculty travel and instituting mandatory quarantines for people returning from level 2 or 3 areas prior to work. They have also begun preparation to move all classes online for the remainder of the academic year.

Any of my physician colleagues who have paid the slightest bit of attention (with relevant backgrounds, ID, EM with disaster management) are essentially saying the same thing. They are self reducing travel and exposure and have adopted a bit of grim fatalism that seems to be common in the medical field. All of us are hoping that the virus will somehow turn out to be containable, or the case fatality rate is massively exaggerated by a lack of testing (which is possible) but we have little evidence pointing in that direction.
wrp96 and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
It is pretty striking that so many conferences and conventions are being cancelled, but sporting events, concerts, and all sorts of other events (political rallies) are going ahead as of now.
Sporting events are mostly a risk to the audience, not the participants. Conferences are a risk to the participants.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: LH, DL
It is pretty striking that so many conferences and conventions are being cancelled, but sporting events, concerts, and all sorts of other events (political rallies) are going ahead as of now.
Indian Wells Masters Tennis tournament is cancelled.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-03-08/bnp-paribas-open-at-indian-wells-canceled-because-of-coronavirus-

I think more sporting events will cancelled/postponed/spectator free as the case count goes up now that testing will be available.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even outside of the US, it seems like most public events are going ahead (with the exception of Italy). Soccer matches in most of Europe continue...
I am no sports fan so I can't tell how big impact is: https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-mar...ak-of-covid-19
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: LH, DL
Ireland has cancelled all St Patrick Day parades.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020...s-day-parades/
Adelphos and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: Iberia
Originally Posted by GMTmin8
Bahrain has made the March Formula One race spectator free.
Saw that. MotoGP in Qatar this past weekend was cancelled, although Moto2 and Moto3 still ran as those classes were already in-country doing testing prior to the event. Thai round for all MotoGP classes has been postponed until early October. And things not looking good for the USGP next month. WSBK has postponed the Qatar round this month but it's not been rescheduled yet. I had been planning back to back WSBK rounds in Europe later this year, but those plans are on hold for now depending on how things go moving forward.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / TK e+
Coachella moving to first two weekends of October
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:00 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by kylemore
American physician here. We are coming up to the conference season, most academic medical conferences seem to be scheduled in the next few months. I usually attend 1-2 national conferences per year. One, which is occurring later this month, has already been canceled. The other, which is next month, has put attendees on alert that it might be canceled (at this point I would put sums of money down that it will be). My colleagues in other fields are having the same experience. One of the local medical schools announced they are restricting all nonessential faculty travel and instituting mandatory quarantines for people returning from level 2 or 3 areas prior to work. They have also begun preparation to move all classes online for the remainder of the academic year.

Any of my physician colleagues who have paid the slightest bit of attention (with relevant backgrounds, ID, EM with disaster management) are essentially saying the same thing. They are self reducing travel and exposure and have adopted a bit of grim fatalism that seems to be common in the medical field. All of us are hoping that the virus will somehow turn out to be containable, or the case fatality rate is massively exaggerated by a lack of testing (which is possible) but we have little evidence pointing in that direction.
Thank you for the firsthand experience. Not what I wanted to hear, but good to know.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by GMTmin8
Ireland has cancelled all St Patrick Day parades.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020...s-day-parades/
Wow. This is like the Pope cancelling Chirstmas mass. I guess this sets the guidelines for St Patrick's Day parades around the world.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:44 am

Pearl Jam spring tour postponed.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
IBM cancels (transforms into all-digital event) Think 2020 originally planned for May 5-7 2020 in San Francisco. 30,000 registered attendees in 2019.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by mfgr
Coachella moving to first two weekends of October
Is this official yet? Do you have any insider knowledge? I only have heard rumors resp. read speculative articles about this, most trusted of these was in the Guardian.. It appears logical, though.
I guess I`ll go and book accommodation for the Oct. dates now to lock in advantageous pricing before this is officially announced and prices will get 'adjusted'.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:52 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by bhomburg
Is this official yet?
https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/10/coach...tpone-october/
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

American Bar Association Business Law Spring Meeting in Boston is cancelled
American Bar Association Corporate Social Responsibility conference in Costa Rica is cancelled
American Bar Association National Institute on White Collar Crime in San Diego is cancelled
INTA in Singapore is cancelled
Shopify Unite in Toronto is cancelled
Collision in Toronto is cancelled / moving to online only
The International Bar Association has cancelled/postponed:
  • 4th IBA Asia-based International Financial Law Conference, 26-28 February 2020, Tokyo, Japan
  • 21st Annual International Conference on Private Investment Funds, 8-10 March 2020, London, England
  • 23rd Annual IBA Arbitration Day, 12-13 March 2020, Istanbul, Turkey
  • Insurance Without Borders, 19-20 March 2020, London, England
  • 5th Annual Latin American Bar Leaders Summit Plenary Session, 25 March 2020, Cartagena, Colombia
  • Biennial IBA Latin American Regional Forum Conference, 25-27 March 2020, Cartagena, Colombia
  • 5th Mergers and Acquisitions in the Technology Sector Conference, 26-27 March 2020, Barcelona, Spain
  • IBA Annual Employment and Diversity Law Conference, 1-3 April 2020, Madrid, Spain
  • IBA/ABA 20th Annual US and Europe Tax Practice Trends Conference, 1-3 April 2020, Munich, Germany
  • Mergers and Acquisitions in India: Key Opportunities and Challenges in Recent Times, 17-18 April 2020, Mumbai, India
  • Lessons Learned from Art Litigation: How to Best Prevent and Handle Art-Related Disputes, 18–19 June 2020, Paris, France
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by emma69; Mar 10, 2020 at 12:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.