Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Other Useful Threads
  • https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2011652-entry-restrictions-per-country.html
Metrics Math Explained
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus - Thoughts on international/domestic travel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
The way to slow the spread of this virus is to not travel to virus hotspots, wash your hands, and if you are ill, stay home. <SNIP>cancelling trips to safe places because everyone else is doing the same thing (much like hoarding... everyone else is buying toilet paper so I should too) is idiotic. It's hysteria, it's fear, it does no good, and it needs to stop.
Given that the virus is infectious before it shows symptoms, it's not hysteria. Although you are absolutely correct on your advice, this will not see a huge slow down in the spread. Again, the idea is NOT that it can be stopped, but by flattening the curve the number of serious cases can be kept within the capacity of the health care systems. The purpose of asking for trips to be cancelled is twofold: 1. to prevent you get infected and 2) to prevent you infecting others.

The economy is well able to withstand a short shock like this. If you believed the fundamentals were sound beforehand, they will be fine after. This kind of event is PRECISELY what government and central banking are for. There is zero need for the economy to collapse, or for anyone to lose their job. In a few months the worst will be over and everyone can enjoy the second half of the year. There are plenty of fiscal, and still a few monetary, tools that can be utilised. This is not the GFC where there was something structurally wrong to cause the slowdown (though I get the feeling the money being pumped in by banks points to a separate problem of corporate debt).
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I am pushing out all travels (domestic & international) to the second half and then wait & see.
Sjoerd likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Still traveling as planned internationally and domestically every week.

Only had to change plans due to flight cancellations out of my control. (Thanks panicked world population).

Otherwise, still no changes in my travels. Road trip, buses, subways, taxis and a lot of planes around the world.

Zero concern.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX

Only had to change plans due to flight cancellations out of my control. (Thanks panicked world population).

Otherwise, still no changes in my travels. Road trip, buses, subways, taxis and a lot of planes around the world.

Zero concern.
I'm still wanting to do my Sedona/Death Valley/Vegas trip end of April. Everything still in place but I'll just see how things shake out over the next 5 weeks. Wonder if Vegas may shut down.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:06 pm

Zero concern.
And this is why they have to pass emergency measures that people view as "house arrest".
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dirty_Idea
And this is why they have to pass emergency measures that people view as "house arrest".
Can't stop people from driving.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Can't stop people from driving.
Oh yes the government can. China and Italy are doing it.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Oh yes the government can. China and Italy are doing it.
U.S. works differently than China. The U.S. is much larger than Italy. It simply is not possible to stop all Americans from driving. You might be able to do it in large cities like LA, Chicago, New York. Good luck regulating driving in Wyoming and Oklahoma.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:35 pm

Zero concern.
You should get concerned about dozens of countries closing their borders for non-residents.
GUWonder and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Don't worry, he will be there.

In another thread he already mentioned that he 'would reply with bullets'. I think he is moving towards stage #3 slowly.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
U.S. works differently than China. The U.S. is much larger than Italy. It simply is not possible to stop all Americans from driving. You might be able to do it in large cities like LA, Chicago, New York. Good luck regulating driving in Wyoming and Oklahoma.
But why would you need to have someone stop you? Everyone laments draconian rules, noting that people can self-police, then people boast that they will drive and fly across multiple cities and states. This isn't a moral high ground, I'm not preaching, it's just simple logic: the more we mix the steeper the infection rate, the more likely healthcare is to fail. A single superspreader in South Korea infected 34 people in a few hours because they refused to kerb their lifestyle. That 34 people went on to infect thousands, of whom a percentage died. I just don't understand the mindset. Do people think they can't get infected? Or that they won't spread it? It is a highly infectious disease, with highest shedding before symptoms and in the first stages of early symptoms (when you'll be out and about if you're travelling). It kills around 1 in 100 of the people it infects IF they get hospital care. 1 in 20 will need ICU or respiratory support. China built new hospitals to cope with infection AND they were locked down. Iran has dug mass-graves the size of football fields. Italy is triaging access to intensive care and having ventilators flown in from China.

I truly think people are in denial. I get that it's shocking and scary, but really, this needs to be taken seriously. Slow it all down. Less contact, less travel, and we might win this war with fewer casualties.
artemis and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:51 pm

I truly think people are in denial. I get that it's shocking and scary.
Stage 1 and Stage 2 of five stage of grief. And yes, people will need help to go thru it.
Sjoerd, artemis and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
hat is one of the reasons the Founding Fathers wrote the Second Amendment.
Aha, this is how Godwin's Law manifests itself in times of emergencies.
Sjoerd likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
As it is 99.9% certain that this Corona-virus drama will get (much) worse before it gets better, there is also a 99.9% certainty that your trips will not materialise.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the increase in infections to peak, compared to Wuhan.

Italy is having a brutal time now but maybe they just got a head start on what her neighbors are inevitably going to experience?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:30 pm

The selfishness and lack of community spirit of some posters here is beyond belief. It is all about them and if thousands die as a consequence of their actions, who cares?

The rest of the world needs a travel ban for Americans to protect us from such idiots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.